Reading TAB included with lessons

Feel free to get outside the box here.
rpds07

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:24 pm

:S Hello, Just joined today. I like the site but I need help reading the TAB for video lessons. Example: Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. Can someone point me to where I can help reading the strum pattern info underneath? That is what it is isn't it? Pleas excuse my ignorance I have only been playing for 3 months. Are there any other sites recommended for this? Thanks :S

carpet

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Well hi there!

Welcome to the site and the forum, glad you like it!

So about your question, you need help with the tabs, do you know hów to read them?

And yes, the info includes the strumming. But as for this song, Wish you were here, it's not really easy, because it's not just strumming, it's also hitting notes individually, it's a combination of those two things, is that something that you are able to play already?

Greetz'

Vanessa

rpds07 wrote:
:S Hello, Just joined today. I like the site but I need help reading the TAB for video lessons. Example: Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. Can someone point me to where I can help reading the strum pattern info underneath? That is what it is isn't it? Pleas excuse my ignorance I have only been playing for 3 months. Are there any other sites recommended for this? Thanks :S

carpet

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Here is a link to a lesson from Neil about tablature, that's in case if you don't know how to read it!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/free-guit ... ssons#song

rpds07

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for the quick response Vanessa. Yes, I can play a mix of chords and melody. Slowly at first but once my fingers (and Brain) become accustomed to the pattern I can pull it off. Nothing to crazy yet but I can handle this tune. My biggest problem is getting the strumming patterns down. I don't have an ear do decipher them yet. I need a slow walk-through on it first. The TAB for Wish You Were Here lookis like it contains something in regard to the strumming but to my eye it doesn't line up with the melody. This is what I need help with. I will review the TAB lesson you posted, hopefully thsat will help. Any other suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. I spend a LOT of time practicing. I want to keep the fire alive!!! Thank You :)

dennisg

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Well that's really good, in three months? I guess you áre practising a LOT! ;)

Do you have GuitarPro? Because then you can listen to the tab, it's a computer-guitar of course, but it can make a lot of difference!And of course listen to Neil playing it, but I guess you've done that already?

rpds07 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response Vanessa. Yes, I can play a mix of chords and melody. Slowly at first but once my fingers (and Brain) become accustomed to the pattern I can pull it off. Nothing to crazy yet but I can handle this tune. My biggest problem is getting the strumming patterns down. I don't have an ear do decipher them yet. I need a slow walk-through on it first. The TAB for Wish You Were Here lookis like it contains something in regard to the strumming but to my eye it doesn't line up with the melody. This is what I need help with. I will review the TAB lesson you posted, hopefully thsat will help. Any other suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. I spend a LOT of time practicing. I want to keep the fire alive!!! Thank You :)

rpds07

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Yup. I do have guitar pro and I have watched Neil. I'll get it. I'm watching Neil's other lessons from where the one you sent me left off. Thanks again.

Lavallee

Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Not sure how familiar with guitar pro, but you can isolate a section, slow it down and loop it to play over and over. Then you can play along with it. This how I learn the rhythm for this one, Not so easy rhythm.

Good luck

Marc

rpds07

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks Marc. MAybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm very anxcious to improve to the point that I can have more fun and less frustration. I know it's only been a few months and that I need to be patient but I can't get enough of this stuff. I only wish I had a few friends that played that I could pester a little. ;)

Lavallee

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Why don" t try to put a video showing where you are right now, and people will help . The idea of a video of you playing is for all level. So even if you are at the beginning of the song, you will get friendly advice, Neil might get in and give a review . It is not like playing with somebody but it gets closer. By the way, you will not ask too many questions, you will always find someone to help on the forum. So do not hold back. At the beginning it is frustrating as your fingers will not do what the brain says. Only practice will help you, there is no shortcut.

What song can you play as of today?

Marc

rpds07

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Very simple songs, Ode to Joy, House of the Rising Sun, more like that. I was trying to step it up a bit. Maybe to soon? Those seem to simple and others seem just beyond me. i thought Wish You Were Hear was something that was up just a notch. Do you have any recommendations? I like to mix Theory, Songs, Progressions, Lickes, etc to keep from getting bored but somethimes I feel like I don't know where I'm going. Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic