Very Small Hand

Feel free to get outside the box here.
quartjester

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:24 pm

I have loved acoustic guitar music since I was a child. I recently bought a classical guitar without really knowing what the differences are in guitars. Anyway, I am working on the free beginner lessons and I am already getting discouraged because I can't even get my fingers to stretch far enough to reach the first four frets on the high E string. Are there any exercises to help my left hand stretch farther, or am I just not cut out to play the guitar. :(

sbutler

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Well repetitions will certainly help. Warm your hands a fingers up before you try to play anything. Chromatic scales can work.

I don't know how old your hands are, but mine will be 53 in a couple of weeks. 30 years as an electrical construction worker has taken its toll on mine. Lots of stitches over the years, plastic surgery to reconnect the main tendon on my left (fretting) index finger. Then only to whack the end of it off in a table saw a few years later, have left me, and a few others on this site with some digit problems.

Just keep at it. Actually one of the members who has had worse hand issues than I, posted a video the other day of how he exercises before each practice session. And he included a exercise on how he places a Nerf football between each finger, then gently stretches them apart to get more flexibility.

I just can't remember who it was, or what the title of that post was. I'm sure someone will chime in and help out here.

Scott

quartjester

Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Scot,

Thanx for the encouragement. My hands are almost 51, but when I try to reach the strings right behind the first four frets my fingers feel like 102 (or at least what I think they would feel like at 102). I will stay with it and look for the video that you mentioned.

Thnx again,

Qjester

quartjester

Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi Qjester, welcome from the Netherlands!

In respond to your question, I'm not sure if I understand correctly, do you mean that you're already able to put your first finger on the first fret, second on the second, third on the third and your pinky on the fourth fret, in a row? But you want to stretch further, like maybe the fifth fret?

quartjester

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:17 pm

No. I am having a hard time doing what Neil does in the beginner's lesson 2 with the left hand. He can put the index on fret 1, middle on fret 2, ring on fret 3, and little finger on fret 4 at the same time. I am having some difficulty getting my middle finger on fret 2, considerable trouble getting my ring finger on fret 3, and impossibility of getting my small finger on fret 4 all at the same time.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanx so much!

Qjester

quartjester

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:18 pm

quartjester

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:18 pm

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:39 pm

I think this thread has a video from wrench about exercises.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/6-a ... -gym#31982

Its not the handgrip device pictured but wrench has put up a video of his stretches with the nerf football.

Lavallee

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Qjester,

Alexandre Lagoya had very small hands and it did not prevent him from being one of the guitar master of the world. You just need to be patient and do the stretching exercises like shown in the lessons. It will happen , slowly but surely. An important aspect of hand stretching is the thumb position . If you want to stretch your fingers , you need to lower your thumb behind the fretboard ( the middle of it) .

Marc

haoli25

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:26 pm

Excellent advice for you, QuartJester. Be patient and try a few of those. Also, you may want to try using a capo at the second or third fret. That will help with the stretches until your fingers get with the program. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic