IF YOU COULD HAVE A WISH GRANTED...

Feel free to get outside the box here.
neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:59 am

IF YOU COULD HAVE A WISH GRANTED BY NEIL, what would you wish for? I'm talking about something you really want to learn to do on the guitar or a song you have always wanted to play. I know, TG is not a song learning site and we can request lessons on songs in the appropriate area but we're in to fantasy here. Well maybe, because if there's one thing TG has shown me it's that almost anything is possible when you set your heart on it and you need to dream and strive towards it. Having the dream is the first step to realising it.

Ever since I heard NEXUS by Dan Fogelberg (Innocent Age album), I've been fascinated by the spectacular sound of the song and the lyrics and spirit of the man who wrote and performed it. He died this month 3 years ago and I'd love to keep this wonderful song of his alive. You can only find the lyrics on the net. I have worked out the chord sheet and can sing it no problem... but just how exactly is he playing it? It's in dropped D on a 12 string and some of it is clear but there's a picking and plucking pattern there that needs to be exact to work. And I know that I can play this and I'd practice every day for months... if only I knew for certain what I need to do. And I know that Neil is the teacher who can show me exactly how to get it (videos below). This wish was kindled after watching MarkM's session with Neil on his recent visit to Los Gatos (fly on the wall).

That's my wish: to have Neil teach me this song. If I could, I'd commission it.

What would YOUR wish be?

Live version

The album version

jayswett

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:52 am

Great song. I, too, have a song that I've been wanting to learn for a long time. My song, though, is in Double Drop D tuning and is called TreeTop Flyer, which Neil I gather is not high on the list for Target lessons, so it looks like I'm out of luck with regard to that particular song. But, if I could have a wish granted, it would be for TG to host a 5 day guitar camp, have it well attended by TG students from around the world, and give us all an opportunity to play together.

TGMatt

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:53 am

jayswett wrote:
Great song. I, too, have a song that I've been wanting to learn for a long time. My song, though, is in Double Drop D tuning and is called TreeTop Flyer, which Neil I gather is not high on the list for Target lessons, so it looks like I'm out of luck with regard to that particular song. But, if I could have a wish granted, it would be for TG to host a 5 day guitar camp, have it well attended by TG students from around the world, and give us all an opportunity to play together.

I can promise you one thing here....and only one thing..

That anything IS possible

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:09 pm

TGMatt wrote:
jayswett wrote:

I can promise you one thing here....and only one thing..

That anything IS possible
Matt:

I just have to say that your attitude always leaves me smiling...... B) B)

I know that you have been toying behind the scenes for a long time with something of this nature. I can only say that I continue to keep my fingers crossed. Watching the "Fly on the Wall" clip with Mark just emphasized Neil's great nature and his love of what he does.

As always, thanks for your hard work.

J

willem

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:12 pm

It is so strange with me,,when i think which song i really want to learn i can't think on one..
Of course i want to learn but since TG is here they served me with so many songs that i like ..so my wish would be to play!! that songs,,I try also before TG but since Neil explains them i 'm on my way and some times i can figure out a song by my self and was only couse they give us the tools,,i'm very happy on the moment and i know we get more and more and more,,

Chris let me wish with you that your wish is coming true,,

AndyT

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:57 pm

And I wish that TG Guitar Camp was here on Oahu.

sbutler

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Well fellas, if as Matt says, "Anything is possible" then I want it all.

Honestly, there are so many songs that have been written in my life time, that picking just one is virtually impossible. However, of the ones in the near distant past that I've heard and would love to learn to play (at expert level) would be Ruby's Eyes, by the one and only Mr T.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic