Newbie needs direction

Feel free to get outside the box here.
beaker

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:08 pm

Hello all.

I'm pretty much a beginner here and just joined. I've been fumbling aroung on the guitar for 6 months or so, just practicing basic open chords and running my fingers up and down the fretboard to get some finger dexterity and coordination.

Anyway, it looks like a great site, but I must admit that I am a bit lost on finding a roadmap to follow. The site seems a bit disorganized ... at least as far as beginner lessons. I see a list of Free Beginner Lessons, as well as the Beginner's Genius link, as well as a First 5 series for Beginners under the TARGET button and a Volume 1 for Beginner's listed under TARGET. Perhaps some of them are repeatsof others?!?

Any advice as to an actual syllabus or roadmap to follow so I stay on course. It seems that the site has seen quite a bit of growth, and the best path for a beginner to follow has been lost. I feel as though I am following someone's foot steps in the snow after the snow has already melted.

Any advice?!?

beaker

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:26 pm

If I were you I would check out the Beginners Series in Acoustic Genius (the whole thing). then you can look at the first chapter in the Acoustic Genius Fundamentals Series (guitar geography and theory basics), and the Rhythm Guitarist and the Chord Genius Series (to make sure you know your chords and are fingering them from the start, no point in developing bad habits) are also very valuable. Also go to the Master Menu and look at the songs to learn and look at their difficulty rating. Start with songs level 1-3. Try to learn to strum some basic songs that use the chords that you know, and if they have chords that you don't know then you will learn those too. Also under the Bands tab, you can see all of the artists that are covered and the songs that are covered, the only thing is they don't all have the ratings showing in that spot, but look around and click on some play throughs so you can be inspired. When you find there is something that you have a question about, look around, Neil has probabaly answered it in one of his previous lessons. In particular, in the Master menu there are a bunch of lessons that answer many beginner questions like how to hold a pick and how to strum and that kind of thing. Good luck, have fun, Beaker.

wrench

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm

Hey skypilot, welcome aboard.

I would start with Beginner's Genius, then go pick a couple of tunes from the Campfire Series. I would then move to the Beginner's First Five Lessons. These will take a little longer as you will be working on some physical skills and your timing. Veteran's Advice here - don't take any shortcuts through that series. Every single word Neil says in those lessons is way more fundamentally important than you might think. Then work on a few more songs to your liking. If you work through those lessons so far, you may be surprised at how quickly you are able to pick up new songs. When you're ready to step it up a notch, check out the Acoustic Genius Series for music theory and Chord Companion to advance your playing. By then, you won't need any directions. You may be surprised that your progress takes place exponentially. You may then find that you don't need any instruction to play certain songs, and you may even begin to branch out into writing your own music or transcribing.

I know that sounds like a very optimistic trip on a very compressed timetable, but the absolute number one thing that knocks my socks off here is the progress TARGET members make, and the short time in which they do it. Check out some of the recent student videos, and then consider the fact that some of our best players were beginners just a year and a half ago. I think it's a fair estimate to say that whatever your goals are, you will exceed them in a year.

Check in often here on the forum, and don't be afraid to ask often for help. This is a great community.

wrench

RicksPick

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi Skypilot!

Just wanna welcome you aboard!

And I hope that not finding your way smoothly and all will discourage you. I hate to admit it, because I just love this site, but I do understand where you're coming from. I've been working my way through all of those beginner, genius-lessons and all as well and sometimes I still can't find my way through it...I blame it on that it's just a lót of information, the value of it is .....just great!

As for what to do, I agree with Beaker...follow the steps that he pointed out..and yes I also noticed that some of the beginner's genius-lessons are also found in some Acoustic genius-lessons, but the last one has wáy more information because it's part of the targetprogram while the beginner's genius-lessons are for free, that's the big difference I guess..

However, I hope you'll find your way through all of this, feel free to ask questions, lots of guitarlovers over here willing to help you out!

Greetz'

Vanessa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic