Alice's Restuarant, help with fingers

Feel free to get outside the box here.
yoshka

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:18 am

Hello.

First time I'm writing on the forum. I play guitar and mandolin.

I'd like to say that I think the lessons Neil has put together are really good, both explaining the technique and the theory. Thanks Neil!

I have a question about the song "Alice's Restaurant". I hope someone will help me out.
My question: What is the fingering for the measure of the D7 chord on the second line? Disregarding the base notes for the moment, you have the notes D,C,D,E,G. I've been picking using two fingers, index and middle, and thumb, on my right hand. For that series of notes it would be: D-middle, C-index, D-index, E-middle, G-index. Is this correct? It doesn't seem right to be picking with the same finger twice (C-index, D-index). Actually, in the measure of the D7, G chords of the first line, I've been picking the G note with my index finger and then picking the B note again with my index finger. The same problem.

Does this song require that I change my picking style and pick with three fingers? Is there another way to do this that I am not aware of?

Hope I 've made sense of this.

Yossi

michelew

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:07 am

Hi Yossi!

Welcome to the TG-forum and you actually have a very good question!

At the moment I'm on my way to work, so this is a quick response.

I don't have a yes or no answer, but when Í play this song, I've just managed to get it down the last week, I do use three fingers, so homeposition. And yes here and there are some 8th notes on the same string right after each other, but that only goes for the first measure, the 5th, the 9th, the 11th, the 13th and the very last one (excuse me for maybe forgetting one). In that case you could switch fingers, wich one to use depends on what comes next etc...I'm not sure what Neil says about, I don't think that I've watched the full lesson, but I do think he recommends switching fingers for the measures that I've mentioned...

Anyway, I'm really off now!

Have a good day and let's see what other suggestions the other members have!

Cheers

Vanessa

yoshka

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:49 am

Vanessa,

Thanks for your reply.

I have watched the lesson on the right hand. Neil does state explicitly in the lesson, that Arlo plays it with two fingers but that the lesson is picking the song with three fingers. My oversight and mistake. :S

I've switched to three fingers and it works, but I'll have to slow my playing down again to relearn it. That's ok, learn it slow and then pick up the tempo.

A forum is a great way for players from all over the world to help one another about fingerings and/or licks.

Thanks again ,
Yossi :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic