Community map

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Lavallee

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:16 pm

I really like the idea of putting the avatar on the map, it really helps to locate the people. It also opens directly in my area so I assume it would be the same for everybody. The access is easy through the main menu on the left. I thought it was not finished yet because there are many people missing on the map . Like in Australia there are only 2 avatars, many Canadians are missing and Al is in Saskatchewan :) . I would suggest to highlight the border of the generic avatar because the white background merges with the map.

Thanks

Marc

suziko

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm sure this has been explained elsewhere already, but how do you go about getting yourself on the community map? I looked at the map (accessing at left as you suggested, Marc), but my avatar does not appear to be there.

thanks! Suzi

Lavallee

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Suzi I did not see your avatar either. I did not do anything and mine is there.

Marc

suziko

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:53 pm

ok, well, I'm glad to know that it's not showing up for others, too. But I have no idea how to "join" the community map! Sounds like it was just done automatically for you, Marc. Anyone have any ideas?

Suzi

suziko

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:00 pm

ok, I figured this out. You need to have your city, state and country entered into your profile information, and then it comes up automatically.

Lavallee

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Your sharp Suzi, and that explain why Al in Saskatchewan (middle of Canada because he only entered the country).

Everybody put your town name in your profile so that we can figure out where you are.

tom18

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:41 pm

Marc & Suzi,
Thanks for figuring this out. I'd been pondering this as well. I guess I'll have to "out" myself....
Tom

tom18

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:43 pm

Yup, it works.
Tom

mcfingers

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:14 pm

I entered my city and state and if you roll your mouse over the city my name shows up but no avatar is visible. Maybe there is a time lag before it shows up. Interesting.

TGMike

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi,

The way we programmed this is we wanted to leave it up to the individual to be included or not on the map and also give everyone the choice of how close to where they actually live will be shown on the map. That way everyone's privacy and comfort level is taken into account. So as you discovered in your profile you can put whatever zoom level you want for your location: Street address, city, state, zip code, province, etc...

There are actually a lot of features we haven't announced yet tied into the map now as you can see by the check mark filters for groups and events to make it easier for you to form local actual geographic groups for jam sessions and more. There is still a little more polish we were putting on this and we need to get some tutorial videos going but have at it for now.

Enjoy!

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic