Strong Praise for Neil aka Yoda

Feel free to get outside the box here.
cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:26 pm

For me, the best advice Neil ever gave is when asked about when practice sessions "just suck".

Answer: "Play when you are feeling rested, or not too tired". (ain't rocket science, but that's Yoda for ya).

Verily and forsooth, if I doth playeth when I am tired, then I shall "sucketh" and there will be moaning and gnashing of teeth.

Turns out I had been trying to play mostly evenings when I was too burned out and could not absorb much information,
so I was disappointed with my lack of progress.

Since I started practicing early in the day, I get a LOT more out of these sessions, which doesn't prevent me from also playing when I'm tired, but now I know I'm capable of doing better.

Pierre

Craig

Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Apparently Rick and Tony have a, "Most difficult question to answer contest" going that I was unaware of! :laugh:

However, after some thought, besides the obvious EVERYTHING, I would say for me it's timing. I came into this with zero musical knowledge. Now I practice with a metronome and have some idea about theory and timing which turned notes and chords into music for me.

Craig

snipe

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Too many to say!

Mike

michelew

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Well, I could write a page (as I have on a number of occasions come to think of it), but to answer the question (sort of) my top two are:

- finger independence and
- putting down the right fretting finger in the right order for finger picking.

But, it really is a long list.

Hail the guru!

Thanks Neil.

Michele

AndyT

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Hmmm....I had to think about this question for a day or so, not that I don't know, there's just too much!

But then again, it's actually very obvious for me, the most váluable thing he teaches me is how to teach myself...and thát I was really searching for on the net..so for that I, for example, absolutely lóve his Acoustic Genius Series (actually there is something in évery lesson or song that I learn from, I really admire that!)

(But then again, he teaches my favorite songs wich brought me here in the first place, finally I could play 4+20 the right way, haha, still very happy about that!)

I want to add much more, but then again it's already been said and I'm trying not to break the rules here, wich I often do anyway! :P

Music Junkie

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:54 pm

I could name several Bear!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

However, if I had to pinpoint only one, I would say the fingerings for the chords. The G chord most specifically. Playing it the way Neil teaches has opened up soooooo many more songs for me (at least opened them up to sound and flow better). I am constantly amazed at the things I take for granted right now that used to kick my butt. I think about the $20 per month spent here and the number of months, and it comes ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE NEAR what I have spent on private lessons and with the exception of a few specific items, I have learned so much more for my money here at TG. Whata Bargin..................... B)

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic