Suggestion to help new comers

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Lavallee

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:31 am

I have noticed that new comers (especially beginners)on the website often ask for a chart to follow. I think it would be reassuring to have a step 1, step 2 procedure to follow, even if it is not perfect as everybody do not learn the same way. It looks more obvious once you have been here for a while, but for a new person it would be useful to have a guideline.Could it be considered?

An example would be to outline what is required (giving the link to the lessons for each step on the Genius series, or the strumming, etc...) to learn to play this level of songs. A user could have his own progression chart that he or she could check the multiple steps they have to follow when each step is completed. It is much more motivating to follow a sequence of event, similar to an exercise routine at the gym. One of the reason people are joining is to find guidance. Maybe have an acknowledgment from Neil or to be listed in the forum when a certain level is achieved. Feedback for achievement is helpful.

Marc

chacho

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:11 pm

I agree with all your comments and suggestions Lavallee.
It's not only newcomers that could do with some structured order of lessons.
I have recently gone back to the level 2 songs to help with some difficulty I have had with the harder songs and found it really useful and found some advice that I had missed 1st time around.
Also a button displaying level 1 to 3 songs for example would make a huge difference instead of going down the list of artists searching for the easier songs.
The site has gone from strength to strength and is always improving since I joined at the beginning but your right the site has got so big with content, that it can be hard to organise in a logical order with the right songs to try after a lesson tutorial, although I think Neil does suggest some songs to try in his lesson tutorials.

tovo

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Marc,
Interesting you brought this up, my progress has plateaued in part because I probably need some guidelines. But I also see how it could be difficult to create since we all come to TG from different skill levels, etc... my struggle is limited time. A plan would help me structure my limited time on the site. Another challenge I have is getting the most out of the site. I asked the "dumbest" question of the day yesterday during the broadcast asking if their were tutorials on the site. I think Mike thought I was asking about lessons, but I was searching for how to navigate and find things. It was pretty lame - what I need to learn is how to navagate, participate and benefit from the site with my limited time. When I think about it, my real enemy is limited time and lack of familiarity on how to set up and use social media like this site - I just need to work at it. Appreciate you comments.
Chan

chacho

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:39 pm

I know what you mean Chan.
I can spend alot of time searching through the site and because there is so much content it's so easy to miss out on some of it.
If your a beginner it's always best to start with the beginners genius lessons and then try level 1 to 2 song lessons while you go along.
Although my first level 2 song was my my hey hey, I still can't master it two tears later but have found some level 4 or 6 songs to be easier. Everybody is different.
If your more advanced it's still a good idea to watch the beginner series as Neil is such a good teacher theirs always something you can pick up on.
It's worth mentioning that Neils song lessons all contain guitar tuition and thats why he has given them levels.
Having said that there is no reason not to attempt a harder level to spice it up a bit.
The master menu is your friend and in there is the acoustic genius series where the is a ton of stuff to do after the beginner section.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic