Learning favorite tunes that aren't Target songs

Feel free to get outside the box here.
tovo

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:14 pm

I won't beat around the bush, my thread is prompted by posts I read occasionally that either ask for a particular tune to be made into a lesson or even more occasionally (thankfully) accuse TG of trying to fool people or rip them off because a particular favorite tune isn't a lesson yet.

I haven't been playing long, and pretty much the whole time I have played I have been a member here at TG. I reckon I have learned enough to find some TAB for the tunes I really like and learn them myself.

No doubt, when Neil does a lesson on a favorite I end up playing it much better than when I learn it myself. 'Under the Milky Way' by the Church is a specific example, and I was thrilled when Neil did a lesson on it.

BUT....when I want to learn a tune I find some TAB and learn it. SURELY people don't sit around desperately waiting for Neil to make a lesson before they tackle the tunes they love.

Say it ain't so!

Oh and one last comment. I know TG are big boys and can look out for themselves, but accusing them of trying to fool people to get their money is ridiculous and so far off the mark it is laughable. I would ask those people to consider why anyone who has been an active member for any reasonable period of time never writes something like that.

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:24 pm

tovo wrote:
I won't beat around the bush, my thread is prompted by posts I read occasionally that either ask for a particular tune to be made into a lesson or even more occasionally (thankfully) accuse TG of trying to fool people or rip them off because a particular favorite tune isn't a lesson yet.

I haven't been playing long, and pretty much the whole time I have played I have been a member here at TG. I reckon I have learned enough to find some TAB for the tunes I really like and learn them myself.

No doubt, when Neil does a lesson on a favorite I end up playing it much better than when I learn it myself. 'Under the Milky Way' by the Church is a specific example, and I was thrilled when Neil did a lesson on it.

BUT....when I want to learn a tune I find some TAB and learn it. SURELY people don't sit around desperately waiting for Neil to make a lesson before they tackle the tunes they love.

Say it ain't so!

Oh and one last comment. I know TG are big boys and can look out for themselves, but accusing them of trying to fool people to get their money is ridiculous and so far off the mark it is laughable. I would ask those people to consider why anyone who has been an active member for any reasonable period of time never writes something like that.
You mean there are places other than TG to get TABS!!

I hear what you are saying man, and frankly now I just don't even bother with these few misguided souls who post and complain about their favourite tab not being a lesson, I cringe a bit and move on. I liked Matt's response to the most recent example very well done indeed.

heatndude

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:47 pm

I feel TG does a great job at teaching the guitar (not necisarrily songs) spelling ? My life playing has pretty much been with TG and there are quite a few tunes I want to learn but by practicing the techniques and theroy that Im learning has allowed me to get a tab for a non Target tune and learn it then make it better without Neils instruction. I feel pretty proud of that even though some are Tom Petty tunes ! I guess I figured out that by learning certain songs you can transfer those techniques over to other tunes you want to learn and it works go figure. Just because it is not a target lesson does not mean YOU cant learn to play it if you pay attention to Neils lessons. I would explain how I go about it but it would involve a lot of typing and Im not good at that. So kudos to the TG team you have delivered way more than I expected and I cant wait to learn more !

Mark

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:04 pm

haoli25

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 pm

tovo wrote:

Leave it to Tony to write what many of the other members are thinking. It does make me angry when people come on here and make false claims against TG and the TARGET program. I have no problem with legitimate complaints being posted, but the outrageous claims should be deleted immediately. The more senior members here can tell the difference between these accusations, but for the new members and potential members it can be a little confusing.

Bill

AndyT

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:16 am

I have to complain about this thread.

I saw one like it somewhere and was going to post something but again, Tony beat me to it. LOL
Just for that Tony, I might have to ask Chris to bring his girlfriend over....

Just ignoring them is the best way to handle it.

willem

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:43 am

I can't imagine there are complain'rs,, riped off?? i think they are lazy,,they just want the exact and right tab,,this is the greatest and best site there is and after being here fore more then a year i can see more and more the right and wrong tabs on other places,,and!!!!! maybe write my own tabs...wish there where 8 day's in a week..oke i lose some money,,but it was well spend..what a resourch this site is in a lot of things..

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:04 am

Just looking for Amy to come and comment in 25 different accents here... I think she's in the shower.....

schm040

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:43 am

This may be an unpopular response. I am not taking sides but we have all said or done something that we didn't entirely think through. It is safe to say that the comments made by the person regarding TG are being reconsidered if not retracted internally.

I would like to think we can all have our say on this forum, whether it is unpopular or even just stupid, without fear of too harsh rebuttal.

Not trying to make enemies here, it's just that I am all too aware of being retarded once in a while myself.

suziko

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:51 am

Guys, I have to speak up here because this thread has bothered me on many levels.

Firstly, I am confused why anyone is bothered by people writing in asking for a particular song to be made into a lesson. Sure, people should put those requests into the Recommend a Lesson area and not just start a new thread in the Forum, but if a TG member is new to the site (or new to posting to the forum) they might be unaware of this protocol. Considering how popular the Recommend a Lesson and Song Voting features have been on this site, I hardly think it’s strange that some people would like to see lessons on songs they like.

When I first started playing guitar, I started by searching on YouTube for lessons on songs I wanted to learn to play. That is actually what brought me here to Totally Guitars, as I’m sure is the case for many of you. Sure, now that I have been a Target member for over a year, it’s easier for me to just look for TAB for songs that aren’t lessons or aren’t likely to become lessons on TG, and try to figure them out for myself. But as a beginning guitarist that was a daunting proposal. And there’s no way I would have tried to tackle anything harder than a simple strumming song on my own. The two songs that were recently requested, Thick as a Brick and Vincent, are not beginner tunes, so it seems understandable that a person might want a lesson on them.

Secondly, to address the next concern of people making false claims accusing TG of fooling them: I went to YouTube and watched the lesson on Thick as a Brick (which is the one that was referenced in the “I Like this Site, but….” thread). It is true, as Matt mentioned in his response, that there is a banner put up at the beginning of the video which states, “As of the creation date of this video the lesson has not been released yet.” However, if you watch the lesson, at the end Neil says, “But a lot more elaborate lesson on this available at Totally Guitars.” It’s possible that the Target member missed the banner and just heard what Neil said (I don’t know about you, but I tend to black out all the banners that appear on YT videos) or maybe it’s possible that the banners were added after the Target member already saw the lesson (I know that banners were later added to student reviews, so it’s possible this is also the case on some of the lessons. However please realize this is pure speculation, not an accusation). Instead of making false claims, it seems to me far more rational that the Target member who started that thread was simply confused by the mixed messages in this video.

But the main reason I felt the need to jump into this thread is that I’m disturbed by the mean-spirited tone of it. If people request a lesson, they’re now “complaining” or are “misguided?” If someone hears Neil say that a more elaborate lesson is available at TG and writes to ask where it is, they’re now making “outrageous claims?” People are “lazy” when they want to learn a song from a lesson instead of just figuring it out for themselves? Did anybody else go and listen to the lesson that the person referenced to see if maybe they had a valid complaint?

I’ve always liked the TG forum because of the welcoming nature of our members, especially to new members and people posting to the forum for the first time. But this thread and the tone of it has really let me down.

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic