Sheet music for Knights in White Satin and Lucky Man

Feel free to get outside the box here.
whatisayute

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:11 am

Hi, I've been working on the strumming for these two songs, but without the sheet music I am not totally sure of when to sing all the words. I purchased Guitar Pro thinking that all the lessons would have sheet music for the songs. Is it possible to add these to Target lessons?
Thanks. Love this website and the videos!
Dick

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Hmmm, two Moody Blues questions in one day! I'm having to hold myself back from a quick demo on those questions. :-)
Hi Dick. If you're playing Nights in White Satin, once you have the strumming down well, just strum along with the original track playing and you'll pick up the phrasing of the lyrics quickly. As its a slow song, you should find it easy.

BigBear

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Dick-

Welcome to Totally Guitars! This is without doubt the best on-line guitar resource available so you've come to the right place.

There are many levels of song lessons here at TG. So it's important to understand how Neil approaches the lessons. Some lessons are free to everyone. Others are "Campfire Songs" with just chords and lyrics like you'd need to play around the campfire. Some are more fully developed with chords, lyrics, intros, fills and adornments like bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, vibratos etc.

Finally, some songs are full blown lessons with theory, right and left hand studies, alternate playing methods like fingerpickingor strumming, slowed down versions, play-alongs etc. These are really fantastic lessons that simple don't exist anywhere but here.

Most songs have an accompanying Guitar Pro file with them. But the GP files are rarely, if ever, the actual "sheet music". Most musicians consider "sheet music" to be standard notation or the sheet music a piano player or band member might use ie. with treble abnd bass clefts, half and quarter notes etc.

Guitar players almost universally now use tablature, a graphic representation of the fret board showing notes, chords and fingerings. Tab has it's limitations (like lack of timing on notes) but it is much easier to use than standard notation.

So when a song is particularly difficult or tricky, Neil will almost always include the tab with his lessons. With relatively easy songs like Lucky Man or Nights in White Satin (not Knight) the "chart" showing chords and lyrics should be sufficent to learn a song.

When the singing starts is just a matter of feel. Usually Neil shows when the singing starts but in some of the older lessons maybe less so. With Lucky Man, the singing starts on the first down beat. Play a few bars of G as an intro and then start singing on the first beat of the measure and away you go.

I can't speak for Neil but I am certain that he doesn't want us to learn absolute, note-for-note, songs. He gives us the basic info, enough info for us to figure it out, and then expects us to work out the details like timing, leads, maybe riffs etc. This is true for any level of guitarist. Sometimes he doesn't quite give us as much as we'd like but other members on the forum can usually help.

I didn't see if you were a TARGET member but if not, and you like songs like these two, you really need to consider becoming a member. For a ridiculously small monthly fee, you get full access to close to 300 songs, countless lessons and other cool stuff and the lessons are much more thorough in most cases. It is the single best investmant in guitar education I've ever made. In the year and a half I've been a Target member I've learned more than I did in my previous 40 years of messing aound on the guitar. Of course, these great songs have inspired me to play a lot more too.

Please me know if you need any more info and again, welcome. Enjoy your musical journey here at TG and please get involved with the forum and all the really great people who are always ready to help you!

Happy playin' :cheer:

willem

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Have a look on musicnotes.com

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:15 pm

I didn't see if you were a TARGET member but if not.... (BigBear)
Dick, I know you'll be impressed that a Bigbear can write. .. we just haven't taught him to READ yet :-)!

BigBear

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:32 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I didn't see if you were a TARGET member but if not.... (BigBear)
Dick, I know you'll be impressed that a Bigbear can write. .. we just haven't taught him to READ yet :-)!

This is about the tenth time the "Target Member" hasn't shown up on my computer under the original posters name. That's why I've started hedging my bet by stating "if you aren't already a member...".

Oh well, what I said is still valid!

Sorry Dick! Glad to have you with us! :cheer:

whatisayute

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Sounds like you guys are a fun group! Thanks for the insight into Neil's philosophy. As a person who who was around when this song came out in 67 you'd think I wouldn't have to think about when the melody meshes with accompaniment but as a beginner at the guitar it was a little fuzzy. I look forward to more use of all your considerable knowledge. OMG, Iron Butterfly....i remember one night......

BigBear

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:31 pm

whatisayute wrote:
Sounds like you guys are a fun group! Thanks for the insight into Neil's philosophy. As a person who who was around when this song came out in 67 you'd think I wouldn't have to think about when the melody meshes with accompaniment but as a beginner at the guitar it was a little fuzzy. I look forward to more use of all your considerable knowledge. OMG, Iron Butterfly....i remember one night......

Dick- this site is full of old timers like us who were around when the Moody Blues or Iron Butterfly were original!! The only problem is having survived the 60"s I don't remember much of it! LOL! I'm told I had a great time!!

Anyone for Jefferson Airplane?

Cheers! :cheer:

haoli25

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:39 pm

BigBear wrote:

Anyone for Jefferson Airplane?

Cheers! :cheer:

....and a sideorder of Moby Grape. :laugh:

Sorry, I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night (Electric Prunes)

tombo1230

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:55 pm

whatisayute wrote:
Hi, I've been working on the strumming for these two songs, but without the sheet music I am not totally sure of when to sing all the words. I purchased Guitar Pro thinking that all the lessons would have sheet music for the songs. Is it possible to add these to Target lessons?
Thanks. Love this website and the videos!
Dick
Hi pm me if you are still looking for a chord/words chart for Nights in White Satin.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic