Crowd pleasers - what's your set list?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
suziko

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:58 am

I've been enjoying this thread too, partly as a resource for what other songs I should consider adding to my repertoire (I had no idea Free Fallin' was so easy. Thanks, Tony!). Recently I started building a sort of "set list." A list of songs I know I can play without looking at any kind of chord sheet. On the off-chance that I'll ever play for a group, that is. Here it is (in no particular order):

June Hymn
Beg Steal or Borrow
Lola
Heart of Gold
Society (from the Into the Wild soundtrack)
Handle with Care
Get Together (the Youngbloods)
Bring on the Wonder
Let it Be
Wild Horses
Country Roads
Yellow Submarine

I'd really like to add American Pie to that, but i'll be damned if I can remember all the chords in the right order. I've tried. I swear- I've tried!!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 am

Something to think about if no one has mentioned it yet (haven't read all the posts) is that you may have some really cool and beautiful songs prepared and then you find yourself in a room with bad acoustics and a lot of people talking loudly and you find you can't even hear yourself play. This has been my experience 8 times out of 10. No use bringing If I could read your Mind, Nights in White Satin etc. All those ballads just get drowned in the noise. So some simple but easy to sing along songs may be best. La Bamba and Guantanamera work surprisingly well even if your Spanish is just mock-Spanish ;-). So you need loud songs where people can sing along. Later as things become quieter and more intimate you may get a window for all these quieter songs you love to play. I guess this is why I play a 12 string. The nylon 6 string I have has no chance against a room full of noise. You need to take along some copies of lyrics to the songs you play... works wonders to get people to join in.

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:01 am

Some great song lists here.

Michele: If you take to strumming half as fast as you took to fingerpicking, your set list will be out of control before long...... :) :)

For me, I have a few fingerpicking songs, but the strummers are more in my comfort zone. My set list is small because I don't have the chord progressions completely memorized yet on quite a few songs. If the papers are in front of me, I am good to go though..... :)

My My Hey Hey (Neil Young)
Just Remember I Love You (Firefall)
Rocky Mountain High (John Denver)
Indigo Passion (Atlanta Rhythm Section)
Alright (Great White)
Thrasher (Neil Young)
Against the Wind (Bob Seger)
Face in the Crowd (Tom Petty)
Yer So Bad (Tom Petty)
Let's Go Dancin' (Drivin' n Cryin')
Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Dylan)
Lucky Man (ELP's and The Verve's)

A few others that I can either get through at about 70% speed or can get through most of before getting lost on chords......

Much more than i thought I ever would though, so I am happy abut these.

J

Moondog

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:18 pm

One that is always fun to play and is a crowd pleaser is the Georgia Satellites "Keep your hands to yourself"

Mike

michelew

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Mike, What are you doing to me man? How I gotta get me an electric guitar. :P

Suzi. - great idea. I need to do that too.

Chris - excellent advice

MJ - thanks mate

Gosh - I'm really spoilt for choice here.

Thanks

Michele

willem

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:47 pm

What do people remember when you gone,,well that is the very last BANG,,and maybe the very last NOTE.....

What would be a very BANG song to end up with???????CRAZY LITLLE THING CALLED LOVE??????

michelew

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:52 am

Hahaha, omg Cori! :laugh:

You know, I actually played Fast Car yesterday and really it sounds boring whenever Í sing it, when Tracy sings it, it's just great! And I don't even come close to Adele, so how in the world can I do TC if Adele is not coming close to her???!!! :ohmy: :P

lueders wrote:
Great list Vanessa, and I'll bet you kick major can with each an everyone of'em...but I didn't see any Tracy Chapman. lol
(Sorry, Vanessa I can't resist...)

Cori

thereshopeyet

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:00 am

The last BANG song?

Well in my experience, at the end of an evening full of music and singing, people want to relax before they go home, so usually that's the moment to play a ballad....so maybe Wonderful tonight or something, or when people are really relaxed and just listening to you, that's the moment to play something that you like to play yourself, for me that's usually a ballad indeed.....several times I played for instance 'Heart of the Matter'-Eagles (Don Henley)....well most of my friends do know the song now by me and can even sing along, so I guess they liked it, haha!

On the other hand, I leave it up to them and ask them what they want to hear and just play that! So yes, bring along your songbook is always a very good thing to do, so they can choose. ;)

willem wrote:
What do people remember when you gone,,well that is the very last BANG,,and maybe the very last NOTE.....

What would be a very BANG song to end up with???????CRAZY LITLLE THING CALLED LOVE??????

sws626

Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:53 am

Hi Michele,

Great question and one I've not thought about yet specifically in the context of pleasing the crowd, but here is a list of songs I'm working on building into a repertoire (in no particular order):

J.J. Cale, Things Ain't Simple
Michael Penn, Long Way Down
Talking Heads, Take Me to the River
The Blasters, Marie Marie
Lou Reed, Perfect Day
Bod Dylan, Buckets of Rain
Bob Dylan, Don't Think Twice
Better Than Ezra, Porcelain
CCR, Suzy Q
Glen Campbell, Galvaston
Tear for Fears, Mad World
Neil Young, Ohio/Cinnamon Girl
Neil Young, Needle & the Damage Done
Beatles, Two of Us
Depeche Mode, Personal Jesus
Beach Boys, God Only Knows
Eric Clapton, Bell Bottom Blues
Sheryl Crowe, Soak Up the Sun
Steppenwolf, Magic Carpet Ride
The Band, The Weight
Lightnin' Hopkins, Baby Please Don't Go
Damian Rice, Delicate
Cat Stevens, Trouble
Cat Stevens, Long Boats
Steve Winwood, Can't Find My Way Back Home

willem

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:25 am

sws626 wrote:
Hi Michele,

Great question and one I've not thought about yet specifically in the context of pleasing the crowd, but here is a list of songs I'm working on building into a repertoire (in no particular order):

J.J. Cale, Things Ain't Simple
Michael Penn, Long Way Down
Talking Heads, Take Me to the River
The Blasters, Marie Marie
Lou Reed, Perfect Day
Bod Dylan, Buckets of Rain
Bob Dylan, Don't Think Twice
Better Than Ezra, Porcelain
CCR, Suzy Q
Glen Campbell, Galvaston
Tear for Fears, Mad World
Neil Young, Ohio/Cinnamon Girl
Neil Young, Needle & the Damage Done
Beatles, Two of Us
Depeche Mode, Personal Jesus
Beach Boys, God Only Knows
Eric Clapton, Bell Bottom Blues
Sheryl Crowe, Soak Up the Sun
Steppenwolf, Magic Carpet Ride
The Band, The Weight
Lightnin' Hopkins, Baby Please Don't Go
Damian Rice, Delicate
Cat Stevens, Trouble
Cat Stevens, Long Boats
Steve Winwood, Can't Find My Way Back Home
Great list Stuart,,i would love to hear your ''perfect day'''By Lou Reed....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic