Crowd pleasers - what's your set list?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
michelew

Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:18 am

Hi y'all

The TG Quiz Master seems to be on an intermittent sabbatical, so I thought I'd borrow the mantle.

As many of you know, most of my repertoir is solo fingerpicking songs, sad songs being a particular thing I gravitate to. I've been trying to branch out a bit into strumming songs, but I'm finding that those sad love songs just keep sucking me into the black hole.

Besides trying to branch out, I'd also like to start hunting down some local guitarist to start playing with. You might remember a thread I started some time ago about the best way to do that. During that discussion, Jerry and Bear in particular gave me some great advice about how important it was to put together a song book that works with a group of people. They also suggested staying away from solem solo numbers.

So in an attempt to eventually put together a good song book, I thought I'd ask you all the following questions:

- What are your favorite songs to play with a group of people?

- What are your best crowd pleasers - sing along, fun party type songs?

Perhaps you have a list that satisfies both questions. Perhaps you have two separate lists. I'd love to hear them both.

Ness mentioned 'Hotel California' as a great popular sing along song. So I'm thinking that's a great place to start.

I'm also looking for songs that are not too hard. Oh and if they're Target songs too, all the better.

I've already got a few songs on my plate that I'm trying to finish off, but I do intend to start developing a group playing/crowd pleaser list.

So throw them up. What's your crowd pleaser set list?

Thanks in advance.

Michele

willem

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:03 am

bye bye love

norwegain wood

pretty woman

teach your childeren

brown eyed girl

heart of gold

four strong winds

Sail away (neil young)

59th street bridge song,,feelin groovy

handle with care

wild world

JUST want to mension some

crowdy guitarists

coomba

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:45 am

G'day Michele
I don't really have a set but I have a few that seem to get people involved
Eagle Rock is always a crowd pleaser and its fun to play.
Sweet home Alabama
Twist and shout
Peaceful easy feeling
Any 12 bar blues
Fire and Rain
End of the line
Take it Easy
Your Mama Don't Dance
Love Me Do
Look at that I guess I do have a set!
Cheers
Scott

l

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi Michele... you need to don your Shrek costume first before you can ask questions like that!

Anyway, seeing as your such a nice girl....

You Got To Hide Your Love Away
Mrs. Robinson
The Boxer
Sound of Silence
Country Roads
Leaving on a Jet Plane
Let it Be
Hey Jude
Wish You Were Here
Heart of Gold
I saw her standing there ( just 17)
Ticket to Ride
Norwegian Wood (but only if Tony's at ghe party!).

tovo

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 pm

I'd play Norwegian Wood at the end of the party to clear out the last remaining stragglers. They would leave quick smart.

I like these few for party tunes:

Brown Eyed Girl
Pretty Woman
Imitation of Life (REM)
Everybody Hurts (For mass suicide parties mainly)
American Pie
Khe Sahn (It's a Australian tune that everybody knows the wrong words to...bit like American Pie!)
Flame Trees (as above)
Free falling (very simple to play)
Summer of 69 (as above)
Solitary Man
Better be home soon (Crowded House)
Time of your life (Greenday)
The Zephyr Song (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)
Times like these (Foo Fighters)
Space Oddity (David Bowie)

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Hmm....yep that's a good one!

I used to play a lót with a friend who plays the guitar (among other instruments), he had a lót of songs in his closet, well combined with the ones in mine, together we could fill a whole evening if we wanted to, wich we have many times, however when we do get together and when people ask us to play something, we immediately look at each other and we're like: 'Uh... :ohmy: .what is it that we can play?....uh...what shall we do? Wich song do we know?' It's really crazy, we go blank, haha! :laugh: However, eventually we think of something and then after a couple of songs it just keeps coming, thánk god! :cheer:

Well point of the story, this question, my first thought is 'uh.....uh... :dry: .' Well lucky for me some have already answered and I think again from there.

Hotel California
Love is all around
To love somebody/Words (Bee Gees)
Killing me softly
Listen to the music
Proud Mary
Hey Jude/Let it be/Yesterday
Sound of Silence
Wonderful Tonight
One (U2)
Summer of '69
Kiss and say goodbye (The Manhattans)
Faith (George Michael)
Angie
Otherside (RHCP)

Well there could be more, haha, but whatever!

Ness

michelew

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Willem, Scott, Chris, Tony, Ness,

A big thanks! There are lots of great songs in there. The hardest part starts; which songs to start learning now and what order. I'm going to be busy. Should keep me out of trouble.

Coolio!

Michele

lueders

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Great list Vanessa, and I'll bet you kick major can with each an everyone of'em...but I didn't see any Tracy Chapman. lol
(Sorry, Vanessa I can't resist...)

Cori

Ooops, I forgot to type my current list o tunes... most of which I keep going back to. I say current list because I'm hoping that thanks to target I'll have multiple set lists one of these days. I can't sing any of them but I try and con Krista into singing them with me and sometimes she does. Right now she has me working on "Jolene" I haven't quite got it yet. But I think I will eventually.

Songs I play that kinda resemble the originals...

Space Oddity- (It's pretty much a relaxed strummer. Except for that barre chord breakdown.)

Blister in the Sun

Ohio- (Found out I was playing it wrong but have since fixed it thanks to Neil's Free lesson. I used to try and play it standard and it sounded inaccurate.

Lookin' out my Backdoor

Lake of Fire (Nirvana, Meat puppets, that big old bend on the wound g string is a real bear!)

Summer Evening-Greg Brown (I want to learn his finger picking tunes so bad but there aren't any tabs out there
and he never plays 'em the same way twice.)

Feel the Pain-Dinosaur Jr.

One More Cup of Coffee-Dylan (Love that song!)

California Stars- Wilco

Windfall- Son Volt

My Old Friend the Blues-Proclaimers

Ring of Fire-Johny Cash/Social Distrortion

Hydroman52

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi Michele,

I have a bunch of songs that I can play, but haven't worked out a set list, yet. I think it will depend on the crowd that you are planning on playing to. Here is a good article that may help you out:

How to build a set list.

I always thought that a set list was nothing more than an bunch of songs that I knew how to play and would perform them in no particular order. After reading this article, my thoughts changed. A person should probably decide if they are playing the music to please them self or to please others. It wouldn't make much sense to unleash White Rabbit or War Pigs on an audience that is looking for Hank Williams and George Jones tunes. Let's face it, if you want to please the crowd, it may be a good idea to diversify your musical selection, too.

Hope this helps,

Hydroman52

michelew

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 am

Cori, Hydroman (Mike??? - I've forgotten you name if we actually know it),

Thanks for responding.

Cori there are a heap of cools songs in there. I don't know all the songs people have thrown up so I'll be doing some iTunes shopping on the weekend.

Hydroman - thanks for the info. The article was really interesting too.

Ta

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic