A question

Feel free to get outside the box here.
carminemarotta

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Hello
I am new to the site and thinking to became a Target member.
What I want to ask is this: I play (well, would like...) electric guitar and the songs explained here seems all the be "unplugged". Can I follow the lessons with my loved Strat?

Thanks in advance
Carmine

PS Hope this was the best place in the forum to ask

dennisg

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Carmine,

This is the perfect place to ask that question. As someone who plays both acoustic and electric, I can assure you that there's not a thing you can play on an acoustic guitar that you can't also play on an electric. In fact, learning songs that were originally recorded on an acoustic will teach you techniques that will greatly help both your acoustic and electric playing.

Also, there are electric-specific lessons here.

- dennis

BigBear

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Carmine- Great question!! Did you notice this is called "Totally" Guitars and not "Acoustic" guitars? Like Dennis, I play both acoustic and electric. The techniques I learn on the TARGET program are equally valid with either choice of guitars.

But here they aren't just "unplugged" versions (except for unplugged Layla). These are the actual songs, just demonstrated on an acoustic. Often, Neil will comment on whether it's appropriate to use a power chord (more often used with electrics) or a full barre chord for example. And the lead riffs he demonstrates are usually best suited for electrics.

Check out the songs on the TARGET program. If you like the songs, sign up for TARGET. I can personally attest to the fact that for me, TARGET is the single best investment in music education I've ever made. You can't even get a half hour of personal instruction for the cost of a month of TARGET. I just posted a thread about a Jethro Tull song that Neil did this week that was a 60 minute lesson for a 3 minute song! Nowhere on the web is anyone doing this level of instruction. It is simply awesome!

Let us know if you have more questions and I hope you give TARGET a try. It's well worth it!

Cheers! :cheer:

carminemarotta

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks to both of you for the answers. I really think I will give a try, liking most of the songs on the site. However I gues that he teaches only the strumming verses and chorus of the songs but no solo?
Best regards from London
Carmine

BigBear

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:20 am

carminemarotta wrote:
Thanks to both of you for the answers. I really think I will give a try, liking most of the songs on the site. However I gues that he teaches only the strumming verses and chorus of the songs but no solo?
Best regards from London
Carmine

Carine- Neil will often demonstrate brief lead sections if they are necessary for the song, for example he demonstrates the lead in Wish You Were Here. Sometimes he will demonstrate the lead and then not teach on it. Other times he will provide the tab or Guitar Pro info and leave the rest of it to us.

I can't speak for Neil but I sense that he would much rather teach you the pentatonic scales and then let you have fun messing around with them. If you play electric and have any hope of playing lead, make learning the 5 pentatonic scale patterns, in every position (the patterns repeat all over the fretboard depending on the key you are playing in) very high on your list of guitar priorities.

Yes, it takes some work but once you start flying about the fretboard and NEVER hitting a bad note that doesn't belong, you will be quite proud of yourself! That's the moment when the electric guitar got really fun, not in first position but all over the neck!!

The TARGET program does a great job with these scales and many other essential things every guitarist needs, like great hand posiiton, timing, etc.

Have fun and let us know how we can help!

Cheers from Portland, Oregon in the Colonies! lol! :cheer:

sws626

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:53 am

Hi Carmine,

You will learn techniques here that carry over to the electric guitar and there are a couple of lessons focused on electric playing. But you won't find much here about techniques specific to the electric guitar. While I''m a huge fan of this site and strongly encourage you to join, I think you should be aware that the focus is strongly acoustic and you'll probably want to supplement this with other sources if your interest is primarily "plugged."

-Stuart
(also in London)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic