Forum Recent discussions.

Feel free to get outside the box here.
beaker

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Hello TG,
I have been thinking. Every time I go to the forum tab on the left column it takes me to the "categories" section, then every time, I make a second click to go to "recent discussions". It seems to me that a lot of people must do the same thing. My idea is that when you click on the Forum, it would be convenient if it went directly to the "Recent Discussions". I am guessing a lot of people who come to the site do not know that the forum exists as it does. Just an idea. Beaker.

Lavallee

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:26 pm

I second that

Marc

TGMatt

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:35 pm

FOr all u old guys it makes sense...for anyone brand new it does not, it used to be set up that way, but we had complaints about that way too...so for now , just click recent and keep it permanently on that tab for yourselves if that suits

suziko

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:38 pm

How do you "keep it permanently on that tab?" Like Beaker, I'd also love to not always have to click from Categories to Recent Discussions whenever I go to Forum.

Thanks!

Suzi

unclewalt

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:34 pm

If you use the forum enough that it's an issue, you should bookmark the 'recent discussions' page, and perhaps even add a button to your bookmarks toolbar (or whatever your browser calls it.)

suziko

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:09 am

If you use the forum enough that it's an issue, you should bookmark the 'recent discussions' page, and perhaps even add a button to your bookmarks toolbar (or whatever your browser calls it.)

Thanks. Though after closing my browser, I'm signed out of TG, and when you resign in, it always directs you to the homepage. I know I can change my settings to be permanently logged in, but that's not something I want. It's not a big deal, just a very minor annoyance, and something I can live with.

unclewalt

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:05 am

It would be good if the login brought you to the page you logged in from, yes.

Hydroman52

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Here are my work-arounds for these problems.

For navigating to the Recent Discussions - I do like unclewalt and have it marked as a Bookmark (Firefox) or Favorite (Internet Explorer) and then add it to the toolbar so it is always visible.

For the Log-in problem - I always start browsing without logging in, because I frequently don't have time to comment on anything or I'm just popping in to see if there is anything that I feel that I could help by adding a comment (like this thread). I start out by opening the Recent Discussions and scanning. If I see something I wish to check out, I RIGHT-CLICK on the link and select "Open Link in New Tab". I will do this to numerous discussions always opening them from the same Recent Discussions while leaving the tabs open that I wish to make comments. So, when I'm ready to leave all my comments, I have my Recent Discussions tab open and usually 3 or 4 other tabs open with the discussions that I will leave comments on. I will then click on the Recent Discussions tab and log in there. Of course, it will navigate to the home page for that tab, but the other tabs remain on the discussion that were selected. Once I am logged in, I click on the first tab where I want to leave a comment and just hit the REFRESH button (or press the F5 key on the computer keyboard), and, voila! I am logged in without navigating away from that discussion. When done commenting, click on the tab of the next discussion to comment, hit REFRESH, and comment. Continue this pattern until done commenting. At anytime that I want to go to the Recent Discussions, I use the Bookmark/Favorite button that I created on the toolbar (see first work-around above).

This sounds waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy more complicated than it really is. If you are a "single process" type person and only have one tab open at a time, then you probably won't do this. If you are a "multitasker", it will probably help. (Another note . . . . . this will also work if you like to open links in new windows rather than new tabs.)

As always, I hope this helps,
Hydroman52

suziko

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:50 pm

Great idea, Hydro! I'll give that a try. Thanks for taking the time to write all that out.

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic