Target Lite

Feel free to get outside the box here.
frybaby

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Recently I was reading a post that requested some Target optional memberships.
TGMat replied with something about TARGET LITE.

Can’t seem to find the post now, but wanted to add a comment or two, so here we go.

First… .I really appreciate the comments and the reply about a Target Lite Option.

I check the Forum “My Discussions” tab, to see how long I have been a regular visitor to the site.
1 Year 10 month was the oldest contribution I found.

During that period I have frequently consider target membership, not only for the quality of the lessons, but for the reasonable pricing.

There was however always some obstacle that prevented me from jumping despite the encouragement from several forum folks, and the frequent special deals.

I am always looking at the possibility, but never made the leap, nonetheless, , but I have never stopped benefiting greatly from all the free information.

I have been trolling guitar web sites for information for many years, 10 years would be a good guess) and have come across some good sites, but never found one that I would consider my self to be a regular visitor.

This site is the exception.

As Matt once comments on the forum, and I paraphrase … if a person had a big enough desire, in most cases, and for most people there are areas in the daily budget that could be trimmed to allow for the price of Target Membership (Matt forgive give me if I I am putting word in you mouth).

I had to agree with that statement, and I looked hard at my spending, and was willing to cut back, in some non essential, discretionary spending. (I did find some).

But the bottom line consideration however, hat put the breaks on the go ahead to join, was the time constraints.

Basically I figured, with family and other responsibilities, unfortunately I have only so much time to play the guitar, and so even as good as monthly membership is, I realized there will be time during the month that I could spend only a few days or perhaps hours playing my guitar or practicing.

This month has been a prime example—some of life’s difficulties kept me away from my the guitar.

Missing day of playing would mean paying for guitar time I did not use.

I also considered some time it take me a full month to learn a new song, so if I was out of pocked for weeks, my month would run out before I finished a song.

Now the special packages are another story. life time access to 10 or so songs.
Well I still working on that one, if I can find the right package.(the list keep growing… bty, thank you for that)

But for now I continue to be a regular visitor, logging in almost daily, and I contributing when I can .
And most importantly I continue to learn and improve thanks to the generous free offerings.

Which are offered I feel sure out of consideration TG love of guitar and for guitar players, and for guys like me…., and others who want to but just can’t (at least for now) be a Target Member.

Well there it is
Frybaby

dennisg

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:55 pm

frybaby wrote:

Missing day of playing would mean paying for guitar time I did not use.
I never look at it that way. I look at what's available to me over the month -- and what's available to me is just about every song I've ever wanted to learn. I can set my sights on a song, then download the cleanest, most accurate tab you're ever likely to see. If I make no further use of the site over a month or two, other than merely to learn that one song, I still consider it to be well worth the money. Heck, I'd pay a guitar instructor a lot more than $30 to teach me a song I've been drooling over all my life, and here Neil does it day in and day out. To me, this site is the biggest bargain in guitar instruction and probably rates as one of the best values on the internet.

To put it as simple as possible, just about everything I could ever want to know or do with the guitar is available to me on a daily basis -- to explore as often as I want. If that isn't worth $30 a month to someone who cares about the guitar, then I don't know what is.

Of course, if you can't find the time to play the guitar, then there's nothing anyone but you can do about that. We all have our obligations and distractions in life, but most of us manage to make guitar practice a priority. If you can't figure out a way to do that, either you're extraordinarily busy or playing the guitar just isn't that high a priority for you. It's okay if it's not. But if it is a priority, figure out a way to work it into your life.

frybaby

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Thank for the reply. I never looked at it from that prespective. Calls for a paradigmn shift.

buddy

Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Ditto to what Dennis said !!!!!!

AndyT

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm not all convinced I'd remain sane if I was not allowed to play my guitar every day.

tovo

Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:50 pm

AndyT wrote:
I'm not all convinced I'd remain sane if I was not allowed to play my guitar every day.
That's assuming you were sane to begin with of course Andy......

BigBear

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:56 pm

FB- Dennis has the right twist on this. And I would add that for a very long time I sucked at the guitar. I probably still do but I suck a lot less after TARGET. My playing has skyrocketed in two years. The ability to learn some of my favorite songs and play them with some semblence of competence is worth way more than $30/month. To me.

You are not alone in having competing demands for your time. We all have too much to do these days. I took stock this week of all my hobbies and it's absurd. Shame on me but it seemed fun at the time.

Only you can determine how significant learning and playing the guitar is to you. I can make a good pitch for what the guitar means to me, its therapeutic value. my escape from the burdens of everyday life. And so on. But that isn't your story probably and your motivations may be entirely different than mine.

But only you can decide to plunk down your hard earned cash. I don't blame you for wanting more free stuff or a cheaper membership. Ask not, want not. But free stuff isn't really the solution to your problem. As you admitted you've scoured the web for free material and there is enough to keep you occupied for years. But then you conceded that Neil's is the best, by far. Quality has always come at a price. Frankly, the free stuff is a teaser to get you to join TARGET not to satisfy your need for educational material.

So the answer seems to be 1) are you satisfied with your current level of playing? 2) If not, do you want to get better? 3) If you want to get better, can you carve more time either for free info or a pay-for-play site like TARGET plus the required practice time? 4) Is the free stuff available to you sufficient to get you where you want to go? 5) If not, what's it worth to you to get better and where's the best place to get that education?

You've been a major contributor to this site for a long time. It seems unbelievable that you aren't a member now. But I fully understand what economists call "marginal utility" or where best to spend your "surplus" money. Even as cheap as TARGET is I can't afford it right now because I've been unemployed for 18 months. But I will continue to give up other stuff to stay in TARGET for as long as I can. It's that important to my mental health.

I hope you can do a little paradigm shift and see the value that we all see. You are one of us!! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:40 am

tovo wrote:
AndyT wrote:
That's assuming you were sane to begin with of course Andy......
Took the words right out of my mouth ...

AndyT

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:49 am

Tony,
That is almost word for word what I was going to add to it. LOL

I have recently cut my hobbies and extra activities down to almost nothing to give myself the time I need to practice. Even though I'm actually working again, I still have to feed, clothe, house, ...etc 5 people on what I make. It's simply not enough. At this point, I'm doing good to have internet. Free is just my speed right now, but if a Target Lite were to happen, I'd be extremely interested. Maybe I could sell the cat....

AndyT

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:52 am

I was expecting it from you or Rick Chas, but Tony caught me off with it. Especially since it was almost the exact words I was going to use! LOL.

Still nothing to do but watch sheep graze and make lists?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic