Crybaby

Feel free to get outside the box here.
AndyT

Sat May 07, 2011 2:10 am

I'm one of the people living on the bleeding edge of solvency. I threw in my vote for a Target lite version, but after spending some time thinking about how to implement something like that, I keep coming back to the conclusion that it's not really warranted. As much as I would LOVE it, I really don't see it happening.

HOWEVER,

I do see a really sweet opportunity to create a new class of song package. Let the buyer choose the 10 songs/lessons that go in a song pack. That way, they get songs they really want to learn without having to get some that they may not be interested in. For $25 I would love to choose 5 songs that I have forever access to. For $50, I would get 10, and so on... Every $25 gets you 5 more songs of your choice. the way I see it, this is almost as good as having a target membership.

frybaby

Sat May 07, 2011 5:26 pm

That my friend is an excelent idea, better that the one I was going to suggest, namely let the folk vote on song to be included in a package offer.
There have been a number of occasions I have been close to going for a package but like in the old days of lp's, there were only a few song I was realy intrested in... that was the deal breaker in buying ther album.
I have found that for the most part the TG team is open to suggestion and gives serious consideration to input that will imporve the site.
In my opinion this is without question the best guitar site on the web, and with out a doubt it is priced right.
Running a successful and profitable site like this has chalenges I can't even imagine and Neil, Matt and the TG team have excelled and raised the bar for what a guitar web site should be.
Consumer prespectives always differ from Supplier perspective to some degree and in different areas.
Where the the two merge is where success begins.
Not doubt like youself I am exptemely happy I fround TG, and proud to be in some small way a part of it all.
I have had a blast with this thread. Hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I have.
Moving on.
Thats all.
Frybaby.

[center][/center]

Chasplaya

Sat May 07, 2011 6:10 pm

AndyT wrote:
I'm one of the people living on the bleeding edge of solvency. I threw in my vote for a Target lite version, but after spending some time thinking about how to implement something like that, I keep coming back to the conclusion that it's not really warranted. As much as I would LOVE it, I really don't see it happening.

HOWEVER,

I do see a really sweet opportunity to create a new class of song package. Let the buyer choose the 10 songs/lessons that go in a song pack. That way, they get songs they really want to learn without having to get some that they may not be interested in. For $25 I would love to choose 5 songs that I have forever access to. For $50, I would get 10, and so on... Every $25 gets you 5 more songs of your choice. the way I see it, this is almost as good as having a target membership.

Hey Andy good idea pick 'n' mix concept. Although I am a target member and don't currently require this, if I were not this would be a good alternative.

Hydroman52

Sun May 08, 2011 12:13 am

Andy,

That is a really good idea. It's like the business model of selling individual songs rather than just entire albums of songs that are chosen by someone else. Sort of like a lesson jukebox subscription thing (wouldn't that be too cool if the front end of it actually looked like an old jukebox?). I don't know if this would be a programming nightmare, but I do see how this would be more attractive and could produce more sales overall. Give the customer a bulk discount, as it is right now, but let them select the product. Sounds like a win-win to me. My Dad owned a hardware store, and he would always borrow from an old phrase and say "1% of something is not much. Do that ten times and you might have something, but 100% of nothing is always nothing". You are a smart guy.

This really wouldn't apply to me as I am a TARGET member and have full access, and I get just as much out of the other stuff that is Target access only such as comments on student uploads and such and not just the lessons.

Hydroman52

AndyT

Mon May 09, 2011 2:28 am

Your post made me think and so I created a quick mockup of what it might look like. LOL
Of course, you would still be able to fullscreen the vid and have all the other features you normally would.
But I think it would more likely remain just as it is now. you would just get access to the existing page. That way they do not have to create any new pages. Less work that way. LOL

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 09, 2011 7:42 am

I like your pick 'n' mix jukebox idea Andy. It would be very attractive to anyone who doesn't join as a TARGET member. But I just can't see the point of not being a TARGET member! :-)

frybaby

Mon May 09, 2011 12:21 pm

In an effort to explain advantages of Jukebox package suggestion. please consider

Case Study 1
A certain individual is a slow learner and has limited resources.

This person has 10 song he rely loves and want to learn and add to his repertoire.

Under present conditions and circumstances, it takes about 30 day to be able to get comfortable and skilled at playing a song so it can be added to his repertoire.

Options to Consider:
1. Full Target Membership.
Aprox. $30 a month –Total cost $90 to get all 10 songs down.

2. 3 month Target Membership:
Total cost all 10 songs $79.95.
Upside: Full Target access. (This upside could have down side aspect ,if the individual has Guitar ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) so that the shear amount of information in the Target program distract from actually learning the song and add time learning the song).
Downside: due to unforeseen circumstance the 3 month could lapsed, with songs not completely mastered. Lesson access to the 10 song would be over.
3. Andy’s suggestion:
Cost $57-95
Upside: Lifetime access to 10 song (all of the students choosing).
Downside: Miss out on all full Target privileges.(Not necessarily a down side if goal is to master 10 favorite song.

Best Regards
Frybaby

lueders

Mon May 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Frybaby-

I think that sounds much more do-able and more practical from a business standpoint...than some of your
original suggestions.(i.e. it would likely still be profitable for T.G. and perhaps more-so if it served to draw in a
lot of guitar package seekers)

I think potentially it could to do, just that...

If it was the same price as the other packages
(Approximately, five tunes @ $57.00 or whatever)

it would be a great value and a viable alternative for folks who are strapped financially.
Personally, I would miss being a full member immensely.
(LOVE IT HERE!!!)

However, there are some months where $$ is tighter...and I would be forced to give it strong consideration...

Although, It might be a logistical headache for TG to add this feature to a big site like this that already has
so many components. Would adding all these necessary extra tabs, features, Doo-dads and giz-mos gum up the
works if every package holder that comes along has song storage privileges. I dunno? I'm not a techie. Not sure
how it works.

Cori

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic