Neil's guitar

Feel free to get outside the box here.
watergunn

Mon May 23, 2011 8:18 pm

This has probably already been asked hundreds of times.

What guitar does Neil use in his videos?

Just curious.

Thanks

haoli25

Mon May 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Hello Watergunn. The guitar that Neil plays in most of his videos is a creation of Ed Claxton.

http://edclaxtonguitars.com/

Bill

skaladar

Tue May 24, 2011 8:41 am

I was curious about the guitar Neil used in the majority of his lessons early on as well. I knew it was a custom built Ed Claxton guitar after hearing Neil mention it at one time or another. What struck me as odd was the guitar’s lack of fret markers. I wondered whether that was by design or coincidental. As if Neil thought it best for his students to NOT rely on the markers. After looking at a number of Claxton’s guitars online I see that none of his guitars bear fret markers. Personally I find fret markers very useful especially when playing something that includes large jump to different parts of the neck. I find it somewhat ironic that as a guitar teacher, the guitar Neil uses for demonstration lacks what is common feature on almost all other guitars. When watching some of Neil’s faster paced lessons I wish the fret markers were there so it would be a little easier to follow his finger placement without having to refer back to the tablature. On the other hand, in a way it may a good thing for me because it has helped me get over a nasty habit of watching my hands even when I don’t need to. That has done wonders with making a piece I am learning flow more smoothly because it is becoming 2nd nature and I am not over thinking everything.

♫ Ken ♫

dennisg

Tue May 24, 2011 8:56 am

It's common practice on custom-built guitars for the buyer to order it without fret markers on the fingerboard. Keep in mind, though, that there are still dots on top of the fret board.

As a player, I've learned to not rely as much on the markers, but as an observer of someone else's playing, I find them invaluable in understanding exactly where someone is on the fretboard. I would prefer my teachers to have fret markers.

watergunn

Wed May 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks. I looked a several online.

These belong in a museum. To beautiful to play.

tovo

Thu May 26, 2011 1:19 am

The fret marker question is an interesting one. I bought a limited edition Taylor without fret markers (although as Dennis mentioned it has them on the top edge) and I wondered if it would hinder me. Not at all, I don't see the fret markers on the fingerboard face when I play even if they are there. But the interesting point you raise is about the teacher having them for the benefit of the observer. I've never thought about it. I wonder if Neil uses the Claxton purposely for some reason we haven't thought of, or he uses it simply because it's his favorite?

TGNeil

Thu May 26, 2011 1:47 am

Interesting observation... the SCGC is just as accessible as the Claxton at all times when I am shooting lessons...

Neil

haoli25

Thu May 26, 2011 2:10 am

This is interesting. I have really never had a problem with this. In Neil's lessons, he always tells you what fret he is moving to. I don't really notice a difference whether he is playing the Santa Cruz or the Claxton.
A LIVE performance by Clapton or Emmanuel may be a problem (even with fret markers they are soooo fast), but if you watch the videos, you can always pause the video for the chord shape and the fret position that they are playing.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic