Can someone offer some pointers or suggestions on this tune? Greg Brown's Telling Stories

Feel free to get outside the box here.
haoli25

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:29 am

I have also been playing around with one of Stevie Ray's videos........ :silly: Image

willem

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:52 am

haoli25 wrote:
For those that are more "visually oriented", it really is ideal. For me, I will probably use "Song Surgeon" most of the time. Old habits are hard to break. :)
Either way, it is certainly worth watching the videos on the site and downloading the free demo of each program, then making your decision. The two programs are about the same price and they do give you a little bit of a price-break if you buy both. For most though, it would be best to buy the one you like best.

Bill

Hi, @Cori,,spent a bit time on how to slow down the recording and it seems not to work as a standing record,, i can slow down my recording but not save it that way(still searching if it would),,this i try with the Boss micro Br,, if i had two there was no problem,,,,,

@Bill,,it is great you can do it all by ear and i hope to devolop such thing,,i think i buy both on a certain moment ,,,everytime i say to my woman ''this is it,,don't need more stuff'' and then!!!!!!

lueders

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Willem, that's alright, man. I sure appreciate it, but... no sweat if you can't get it. No sense in wasting the day a way on it. lol. Thanks for trying,
man. But, no problem its Sol' GOOD.

Cori

daryl

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Cori,

I've slowed the song down by 15%. Maybe that will help.....(sorry it got truncated a little)

lueders

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:49 pm

THANKS!!!!! DARYL.
:) :) :)

lueders

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Hey Daryl,

Thanks to you I made some major discoveries on this tune. He hangs out on that first position E longer than I thought (relative to the capo) and then he embellishes that with the E6 C#-note and A6 F#-note...I am sure of that now.

Your suggestion was a great one. (To play in the key of E with a capo @ the 3rd.) I was wondering how you were able to discern that exactly... listening for which notes are open and which are fretted, maybe? Well, however you came to that conclusion I think you were right. You're good man! Thanks again.

Cori

daryl

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:02 am

Once I found that it was in G and that it was sorta like a I IV V thing, I started listening to the embellishments (especially the stuff with the IV chord) and thought to myself, "gee those things are awfully hard to play with a C chord" and that they were actually often heard with an A or an E chord. And I knew the A is the 4th of E and that a barred G chord is just an E chord barred at the 3rd fret.....

BTW I can't tell (typically) if a played note is an open string or a fretted string.

issaquahbob

Thu May 09, 2013 12:16 am

Hey, am new to the forum but was searching for this very song for some tips. After reading the threads and playing around with it for a while have what I believe are the chords that Greg is playing for this song. I don't believe he is in E on the third fret but am pretty certain he is playing in D with capo on 5 and using D-G-A chord progression. This way he is able to more easily hit the highest of the notes that Greg does on the high e string.

The pick pattern I quickly fell into works for me and sounds decent playing along with the song as well. That little slide up on high e string with the G chord starts with playing the G using 4 fingers including the ring finger on the b string, 3rd fret. It begins playing that b string open, then hammer on to 3rd fret immediately followed by hitting the e string on 3rd fret you can mimic what Greg is doing. Then that little slide up on the e string can easily be done with your pinky from 3rd to 5th fret (above capo) before quickly going back to the D chord.

The pull off he plays on the A chord works well from the the high e first fret, then walk down on the b string from 3 to open. With a little practice I'm already able to do this reasonably well. On the D chord the little walk up from the g string from 2nd to 4th fret then b string from 3rd to 5th fret.

Anyway, thought I'd share these thoughts on this great Greg song in an effort to pass along additional thoughts. His stuff isn't usually that complicated from a chord perspective but getting it to sound like Greg, now that is where the challenge comes...

I'd welcome additional thoughts.
Bob

lueders

Thu May 09, 2013 1:03 am

Hello issaquahbob!

Thanks so much for posting your thoughts on this song!
I was surprised but excited to see this thread rebooted.

It is always GREAT to meet a fellow Greg Brown fan.(we have a few here)To me, the man is like Dylan, Cohen, and Waits all rolled into one.
But I like him so much better than those guys because he' s not at all interested in projecting some contrived personae...he's just Greg Brown an unassuming, articulate guy from Southeast Iowa that looks like the guy who works on your car.

I think your ideas of how to play this tune sounds quite plausible. I am most eager to try them out!
The route I ended up taking was playing chords: E,A,D, and an F sharp. I was able to get parts of it to sound approximately close that way
But your idea of how to play sounds more likely. I know he seems to like the guitarist friendly (capoed)D-shape quite a bit...ex. Laughing River and other tunes.

So great to make your acquaintance. Do you play any other GB? Springwind?

P.S. I hope you consider joining. You might consider voting for this tune in the "recommend a lesson" page. It has a fair-decent chance of Neil doing a lesson on it one of these days. He's a fingerstyle stud like Greg is...ya never know.

Cori

issaquahbob

Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks Cori: I joined the site earlier this year, just hadn't poked around enough to see all that it offers. I'm a big Greg fan and can wholeheartedly support you comments about him and his music. I love the way you describe him too. He is such a genuine person. Have seen him perform in person maybe 8 time and always enjoyed his music. I am a member of the Yahoo group about Greg and his music which I need to get back into as it's been a while. They offer lots of info about Greg, his music, tours, even some sharing of his concert audio cd's. I have submitted a bunch of my own chord sheets to the guy who runs the website in Arizona - http://ag.arizona.edu/~steidl/GB/ as well as Spike's music - http://spikesmusic-folk.spike-jamie.com/Greg-Brown.html and posted those songs under theguitarman99 but a hotmail address. I have several hundred songs with chords for a variety of artists and always willing to share too but some other Greg songs I'm working on or are trying to work on now are Laughing River, and Banjo Moon. I'm wondering if perhaps I should start a more general Greg thread for discussion to capture others who might otherwise miss this. Will do that later.
Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic