Can someone offer some pointers or suggestions on this tune? Greg Brown's Telling Stories

Feel free to get outside the box here.
lueders

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:54 am

I am obsessed with this tune and was making progress on it with my demo of Song Surgeon, before my computer decided to freeze up...every five seconds. doh! I thought I would give this a shot...and see if any of the good folks in T.G. land had any ideas. I just can't get a handle on that cool thumpy thing he does. (thum-pick maybe?)
Half the song is still giving me fits. I think it is worth the effort though because I love this song more than lie itself. lol!
Ridiculous, I know...but it is really awesome....
I know what key he is in, most of the chords, and I have figured out a way (what I think) is a passable way to play some of the little turnaround-like licks he does. Anyways, I digress. Thanks for listening and putting up with my obsession... This is a wonderful tune hope you enjoy listening.

Thanks

Cori

daryl

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:19 am

Cori, Care to upload your efforts to date? Maybe we can be a little more helpful then. What key and chords are you playing? What "half of the song" is giving you fits? etc......

lueders

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks Daryl

yeah, I am nowhere near having something to post. Even what I think I know is pretty shaky...I am just picking up bits and pieces...

Here is what I think I know. Well, I believe he is in the key of G. G, C, D, & E minor are the tones I hear.
Aside, from the dilemma of not even being 100% about the progression...

I am having problems in the vary beginning getting anything close to his style of picking.
Later it is more obvious where the accented beats are...and he really leans on those pinches that accent the changes. For instance, at one point... I believe he is playing G in third position and then goes to the E minor shape underneath /within the G chord. The picking pattern in that spot you can hear pretty distinctly.

Also, some of the single note lead sounding stuff during the breaks or the bridges, that happens later.. I have a half-decent idea of what he is doing on that. But there is a whole bunch o stuff here that baffles me.

I am not even sure if there are two live guitars in places or overdubs used on this track. It sounds like more going on than just alternating base and melody notes in places. But Heck I dunno?

haoli25

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 am

Hi Cori, you said you were using the demo version of "Song Surgeon". I have it too, and I really like it. BUT, before you pull the trigger and buy "Song Surgeon", download the demo of "Video Surgeon" and give it a try.
A friend of mine has it on his computer and I gave it try. It allows you to zoom in on the left hand (or right hand), then slow the video down while maintaining the original pitch. You can also create 'loop points' on the zoomed video and play the parts you are interested in.
I love using "Sound Surgeon", but after playing around with "Video Surgeon", I bought it too.

Bill

daryl

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:42 am

lueders wrote:
Thanks Daryl

yeah, I am nowhere near having something to post. Even what I think I know is pretty shaky...I am just picking up bits and pieces...

Here is what I think I know. Well, I believe he is in the key of G. G, C, D, & E minor are the tones I hear.
Aside, from the dilemma of not even being 100% about the progression...

I am having problems in the vary beginning getting anything close to his style of picking.
Later it is more obvious where the accented beats are...and he really leans on those pinches that accent the changes. For instance, at one point... I believe he is playing G in third position and then goes to the E minor shape underneath /within the G chord. The picking pattern in that spot you can hear pretty distinctly.

Also, some of the single note lead sounding stuff during the breaks or the bridges, that happens later.. I have a half-decent idea of what he is doing on that. But there is a whole bunch o stuff here that baffles me.

I am not even sure if there are two live guitars in places or overdubs used on this track. It sounds like more going on than just alternating base and melody notes in places. But Heck I dunno?
Try playing in E with a capo on the 3rd fret.

lueders

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:42 am

haoli25 wrote:
Hi Cori, you said you were using the demo version of "Song Surgeon". I have it too, and I really like it. BUT, before you pull the trigger and buy "Song Surgeon", download the demo of "Video Surgeon" and give it a try.
A friend of mine has it on his computer and I gave it try. It allows you to zoom in on the left hand (or right hand), then slow the video down while maintaining the original pitch. You can also create 'loop points' on the zoomed video and play the parts you are interested in.
I love using "Sound Surgeon", but after playing around with "Video Surgeon", I bought it too.

Bill
Dang, Bill that sounds pretty darn nifty! Thanks for the heads up there, Sir...I will investigate that.On this particular tune however, there is no video to be found anywhere. Doh!

Cori

lueders

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:47 am

Daryl, I will sure try that! (I figured you come up with something.)
Thanks, Man!

haoli25

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:03 am

lueders wrote:
Dang, Bill that sounds pretty darn nifty! Thanks for the heads up there, Sir...I will investigate that.On this particular tune however, there is no video to be found anywhere. Doh!

Cori

It really is, Cori. And, YES, I did check with Matt before I mentioned "Video Surgeon". As usual, Matt is light-years ahead of the rest of us. lol
"Video Surgeon" software does not allow screen captures, but this is pretty close. I was playing around with one of Tommy Emmanuel's video "Guitar Boogie". I captured it with "Video Surgeon", then zoomed into his left hand. And, YES, I had to slow down his lightning fingers a lot. The only difference to the real thing is that the inset covers the whole screen, no picture in picture. lol
NOW, just because I could watch Tommy's hand in slow-motion doesn't mean I am any closer to playing "Guitar Boogie" -Tommy style. But it is still nice to wish.

Bill Image

lueders

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:08 am

VERY, VERY COOL!! Think of all the possibilities with this...

haoli25

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:15 am

For those that are more "visually oriented", it really is ideal. For me, I will probably use "Song Surgeon" most of the time. Old habits are hard to break. :)
Either way, it is certainly worth watching the videos on the site and downloading the free demo of each program, then making your decision. The two programs are about the same price and they do give you a little bit of a price-break if you buy both. For most though, it would be best to buy the one you like best.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic