Can someone offer some pointers or suggestions on this tune? Greg Brown's Telling Stories

Feel free to get outside the box here.
lueders

Thu May 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Hey, Bob

That's great! I'm sure I've seen some of your chord suggestions over there at that the site you speak of.
I think your idea of started a Greg Brown group here at TG is an excellent idea! The "groups" don't always generate a lot of activity...but they can.

There is a performance in the archives of a I think: Hey Baby, Hey Baby Hey. A fella named Jayswett does it. Jay's a very controlled, clean player (especially fingerpicking) and does really well with it. You might check that out on the Forum search.

Also, I meant to say on Telling Stories I think i played Basically in E CAPOED at the third...like Daryl suggested. Some of the runs and fills sounded decent...but the overall picking pattern sounded like something was amiss.
When I get some time I'll sit down and noodle with it your way.

I am gonna sit down and watch Hacklebarney Tunes DVD tonight and see what I can figure out there.(4 Laughing River)

There is some real good fretboard close-ups in that. The suggested fingerings of the version on Arizona doesnt sound right to me. Like you said, the way Greg accents and adds his own flourishes is Really the key...more than anything.

To sum up, yeah I would love to get some serious GB discussion going.
I've never understood way the rest of the world doesn't think he's as amazing as I do.
But then again I am glad he is music's best kept secret...lol

Cori

lueders

Sun May 26, 2013 4:41 pm

I put this in the other Greg Brown thread but I thought I would put this here as well as in the other thread, since the original post concerned Telling Stories...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic