Easy for me

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Chasplaya

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:25 pm

I go back to my point before learning is quite individual, their is a V.A.R. K. questionnaire which you can do and that helps you determine your learning style, if Aural is your thing then as Neil suggests then this is the way if you are a Read and Write person, then with Chords would certainly be the way to go. The study of learning styles for individuals is quite extensive and has proven time and time again the differences no matter what we prefer that may not be right for someone else. Neil you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that but on this I refer you to this site and Neil Fleming's work. He is but one of many who have produced studies on learning:

http://www.vark-learn.com/english/index.asp

haoli25

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:25 pm

Since I make my own notes on the PDF file (and lots of 'em), for me less is better. On many songs I like to add my own fill notes and I also make scribblings of which notes I want to accentuate or soften. Although I am NOT a singer, for those that do, you might want to make 'singing notations' and 'playing notations' using different color pens. I have a friend that does this. He makes notes on exactly where all chord changes happen, where the lyrics start and stop, even breaths. Its very colorful. I can't read it, but it works for him. Now that I have talked him into getting 'Song Surgeon', he can mark all of his notations on the TAB in one play-through.

Bill

thedancer

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:53 am

Hi TG

It is obvious by the feedback that there is a need for both. I can't see any reason why neil does not put both methods on, and then TG members can choose which way they would prefer to learn.

As for chord boxes at the top of the page. This would make it easier again for my type of learning.

DANCER

michelew

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:54 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Dancer

Chord Chart
I tend to watch the video lesson and draw only unfamiliar chord diagrams on the printed pdf's.
By doing this it makes me think about the chord and helps me remember it.

Chords Aligned With Lyrics
I like your idea to put the chord above the appropriate lyrics.
I have tried to play and follow the lyrics with respect to the chord progressions but.......
I wouldn't know ho to do this.... I find it hard enough learning the guitar....it would be interesting how to go about doing this.

This may come across stupid to some who are fortunate to have the "gift" but doesn't come so easy for me.

Anyone out there like to contribute what they do? :blush:

Have a good day

TheresHopeYet

:)
Dermot,

I don't think it's a stupid question at all. I have a similar approach to Marc and Tom.

I listen to the song a million times:
- If I don't really know the song I'll listen to it after watching Neil's video before I really start to learn it in earnest. I generally mark up chord shapes I'm not familiar with (or where a variation from the normal open chord is used) while watching the video (e.g. for some Gs I just write 'G - 320033' on the side of the sheet to show it has an extra D in it).
- I listen to it when I'm not playing it, during the period that I'm learning it.
- Then when I feel like I've got the progression to a reasonable point I start to play it slowly against the recording (without trying to sing), as slow as 40% if I need to, this really shows whether I'm changing in the right place and have the right (or a reasonable) rhythm.
- To learn the lyrics I read while listening to the recording, then I start to sing it against the recording (without playing) still reading if needed.
- I don't even bother to sing and play together until I have got the progression pretty much down and generally committed to memory, it's a great test of how well I have memorised the song, I can't read the progression and the words at the same time very easily so I need to commit one to muscle memory.
- when I do have the progression and lyrics down pretty well separately, I try to sing and play it slowly; when it feels like it's coming together I play and sing it against the recording. Then I speed it up as I can.

I have to admit that I don't always break it down this much, but I tend to get it together faster when I do. I often find that a song that I think I've got going OK falls to pieces when I try to sing it as well as playing it. So my advice is to get a piece of software that allows you to slow down a recording and play the song over and over until you feel the chord changes. Mark them on the pdf if you need to. It may not feel instinctive now, but if you listen to a song until it's burned into your memory you'll be feeling where the chord changes and where the lyrics fit and remembering the chord progression much faster than you think you're capable of.

Good luck. Just stick with it. It will come together without you even realising it.

Michele

willem

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:18 am

michelew wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Dancer

Chord Chart
I tend to watch the video lesson and draw only unfamiliar chord diagrams on the printed pdf's.

I have tried to play and follow the lyrics with respect to the chord progressions but.......
I wouldn't know ho to do this.... I find it hard enough learning the guitar....it would be interesting how to go about doing this.

This may come across stupid to some who are fortunate to have the "gift" but doesn't come so easy for me.

Have a good day

TheresHopeYet

Dermot,

I don't think it's a stupid question at all. I have a similar approach to Marc and Tom.

I listen to the song a million times:
- If I don't really know the song I'll listen to it after watching Neil's video before I really start to learn it in earnest. I generally mark up chord shapes I'm not familiar (or where a variation from the normal open chord is used) with while watching the video (e.g. for some Gs I just write 'G - 320033' on the side of the sheet to show it has an extra D in it).
- I listen to it when I'm not playing it, during the period that I'm learning it.
- Then when I feel like I've got the progression to a reasonable point I start to play it slowly against the recording (without trying to sing), as slow as 40% if I need to, this really shows whether I'm changing in the right place and have the right (or a reasonable) rhythm.
- To learn the lyrics I read while listening to the recording, then I start to sing it against the recording (without playing) still reading if needed.
- I don't even bother to sing and play together until I have got the progression pretty much down and generally committed to memory, it's a great test of how well I have memorised the song, I can't read the progression and the words at the same time very easily so I need to commit one to muscle memory.
- when I do have the progression and lyrics down pretty well separately, I try to sing and play it slowly; when it feels like it's coming together I play and sing it against the recording. Then I speed it up as I can.

I have to admit that I don't always break it down this much, but I tend to get it together faster when I do. I often find that a song that I think I've got going OK falls to pieces when I try to sing it as well as playing it. So my advice is to get a piece of software that allows you to slow down a recording and play the song over and over until you feel the chord changes. Mark them on the pdf if you need to. It may not feel instinctive now, but if you listen to a song until it's burned into your memory you'll be feeling where the chord changes and where the lyrics fit and remembering the chord progression much faster than you think you're capable of.

Good luck. Just stick with it. It will come together without you even realising it.

Michele

Slowing down sofware is the best and most handy tool there is,,,i can record music on my Boss micro br convert it to a mp3 and put it in the mp3 trainer where i can slow it down as much i needed,, song surgeon is also a great tool,,but these are things that you can do only by ear,,so maybe video surgeon is also a handy tool

willem

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:30 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Dancer

Chord Chart

Have a good day

TheresHopeYet

I like to make my own chart with the chords above the lyrick,,but,,i do this not by listening to artist song,,,i try to get a standaard notation sheet from the music where also the melody(vocals) notes are written out and try to see where they are on the pickin or strumming beats,,then when there is a word not exactly on the first beat then i notate the chord name not exactly above that word,,,(hope this makes since,,for me it does a litlle)

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:37 am

Thanks

willem

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:57 am

Well I've spent a lót of time creating charts that way for others and from my prospective I thought that I couldn't be more clear...

But in my experience, in reality it really doesn't work that way. It only works to some extent when you know the song véry well, that is the phrasing of the lyrics wich can be different in every verse. And indeed, it doesn't work when one doesn't get the playing down first.

As for the chordsboxes......you may think that you nééd those and that it'll be easier, but I think that you nééd to memorize the chords when learning to play them to begin with. There is absolutely no point in placing chordboxes again and again for chords wich are used in dozens of other songs already. And when actually writing them down yourself as Shel suggested will help you memorize them more and makes you less dependant wich will result in learning faster.

So you don't see any reason to not write out charts that way, but there are of course reasons...reasons that'll benefit your playing.

just my 1 cent

Vanessa

willem

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:08 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Well I've spent a lót of time creating charts that way for others and from my prospective I thought that I couldn't be more clear...

But in my experience, in reality it really doesn't work that way. It only works to some extent when you know the song véry well, that is the phrasing of the lyrics wich can be different in every verse. And indeed, it doesn't work when one doesn't get the playing down first.

As for the chordsboxes......you may think that you nééd those and that it'll be easier, but I think that you nééd to memorize the chords when learning to play them to begin with. There is absolutely no point in placing chordboxes again and again for chords wich are used in dozens of other songs already. And when actually writing them down yourself as Shel suggested will help you memorize them more and makes you less dependant wich will result in learning faster.

So you don't see any reason to not write out charts that way, but there are of course reasons...reasons that'll benefit your playing.

just my 1 cent

Vanessa

Common Vanessa 1 cent..lol,,i give you 4 more.......its right even standaard sheet music works that well till you know and are comfort with it..'''so please help'' !!!

sbutler

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:21 am

Haha, yep Willem, we went over this last sunday. Lyrics are put where it musically/theoretically belongs, but when actually singing them, they sometimes appear in a different spot. 'Het is een nacht'.....nacht, should it be sung on G or right before??? ;) :P

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

just my 1 cent

Vanessa

Common Vanessa 1 cent..lol,,i give you 4 more.......its right even standaard sheet music works that well till you know and are comfort with it..'''so please help'' !!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic