Easy for me

Feel free to get outside the box here.
willem

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 am

i GEUSS I did it on the G,,,,TOK TOK --HET IS EEN NACHT,,,well it are four words so it could be BEFORE the G.....lol..

nesh16041972 wrote:
Haha, yep Willem, we went over this last sunday. Lyrics are put where it musically/theoretically belongs, but when actually singing them, they appear in a different spot. 'Het is een nacht'.....nacht, should it be sung on G or right before??? ;) :P

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
Well I've spent a lót of time creating charts that way for others and from my prospective I thought that I couldn't be more clear...

But in my experience, in reality it really doesn't work that way. It only works to some extent when you know the song véry well, that is the phrasing of the lyrics wich can be different in every verse. And indeed, it doesn't work when one doesn't get the playing down first.

As for the chordsboxes......you may think that you nééd those and that it'll be easier, but I think that you nééd to memorize the chords when learning to play them to begin with. There is absolutely no point in placing chordboxes again and again for chords wich are used in dozens of other songs already. And when actually writing them down yourself as Shel suggested will help you memorize them more and makes you less dependant wich will result in learning faster.

So you don't see any reason to not write out charts that way, but there are of course reasons...reasons that'll benefit your playing.

just my 1 cent

Vanessa

Common Vanessa 1 cent..lol,,i give you 4 more.......its right even standaard sheet music works that well till you know and are comfort with it..'''so please help'' !!!

Hydroman52

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:57 am

I have never found a sheet of music that didn't require my own personal scribbles and margin notes to make it better for me to understand and play (I know heatndude does this, too . . . I have seen his cryptic notes). Eventually, they get rewritten completely for my additions (harmonies, other people's parts, added notes, etc.) and subtractions (simplifications, silent parts, and other dynamics). I would rather have Neil and crew dedicate the time to more instruction via video than written. Actually, I am very grateful when there is only the very basic of written music as this gives me more white space to make my own notes.

All that being said, I understand the request for more complete written instruction, however, I also understand just how much time is involved in creating these resources and keeping a site like this running. If I had the choice of having time spent on adding more detail to the written instruction or time spent on new lessons and videos . . . . . . new lessons and videos win every time. For me, this site is extremely generous in what they give, and I don't need any change in the methods. I also understand that the world doesn't revolve around me, and if others benefit more, then that may be a better route to go.

Perhaps this is a good subject for the polling function of this forum? We might get better a better idea on how many people could benefit.

Hydroman52

thedancer

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:28 am

I'll have to say I love you in a song

I use this as an example of Neil taking three minutes of video time to explain some cords before he attempts to teach us how to play the song, if there were chord boxes at the top of the PDF file he could have saved three minutes explaining chords. I would rather have him spend all his time teaching us how to play the song properly and not on how to finger chords.

MORE CHORD BOXES MEANS MORE TIME SPENT ON NEIL TEACHING US THE SONG

I'm sure with technology the way it is at the moment. It would not be too difficult to set this in motion.

I'm only talking from a beginner's perspective.

Dancer

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks

willem

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:55 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa Wrote:
they sometimes appear in a different spot. 'Het is een nacht'.....nacht, should it be sung on G or right before???
Ha ha.... sounds like there's an ongoing dispute here between the Happy Dutchies ha ha ;)

Next time we see them together they may be in a Ring than a Room
:woohoo:

The placing of chords to lyrics may not be so mechanical but rather more dynamic as there seems to be many variables involved.

The First Song - The First Hurdle
From what I have figured out so far from the discussions above, is that I need to be much more familiar with the song I am learning.
I'll need to pick one song and stick with it until the penny drops.... once I understand how to play and sing one song.....
I should then, hopefully be in a position to work through other songs more easily as I will have a feel for the process of playing and singing.

Click Image:
Ahahahah,,did i say i love your humor,,well i do,,,there is no dispute goin Dermot,,we (i) were only thinkin back which fun we had and thanks again for this great pic,,really,,the only thing i rub maybe is her back when she can do it her self.

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:50 am

A chord-diagram wich shows what to fret on wich string is far from the same as actually showing how to finger a chord. Also as Dermot mentions, there are often more ways to play a certain chord, there are dos and don'ts, a chordbox will not tell you that. So this three minutes that Neil spends on how to finger the chords ís indeed teaching properly.

And it's not about technology, GuitarPro has a tool wich, when enabled, automatically does that and you can of course adjust it. So if you use it, you can easily add it yourself. Just a thought.

Obviously Neil has reasons why he doesn't, he has been teaching for over 40 years, for that I'm quite positive that he knows what he's doing and that he knows what works best for students.

thedancer wrote:
I'll have to say I love you in a song

I use this as an example of Neil taking three minutes of video time to explain some cords before he attempts to teach us how to play the song, if there were chord boxes at the top of the PDF file he could have saved three minutes explaining chords. I would rather have him spend all his time teaching us how to play the song properly and not on how to finger chords.

MORE CHORD BOXES MEANS MORE TIME SPENT ON NEIL TEACHING US THE SONG

I'm sure with technology the way it is at the moment. It would not be too difficult to set this in motion.

I'm only talking from a beginner's perspective.

Dancer

MarkM

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:48 pm

Dermot, if you want to sing and play at the same time, get the playing down and then start with just humming along (one of Neil's suggestions). Indeed, get very familiar with the song and pay attention to how it is sung, the phrazing of the lyrics and of course the lyrics themselves. Still start out with just humming along! :)
thereshopeyet wrote:

The First Song - The First Hurdle
From what I have figured out so far from the discussions above, is that I need to be much more familiar with the song I am learning.
I'll need to pick one song and stick with it until the penny drops.... once I understand how to play and sing one song.....
I should then, hopefully be in a position to work through other songs more easily as I will have a feel for the process of playing and singing.

thedancer

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:40 pm

I hope you don't mind me saying. I posted a request in this section. Feedback. Want to see something changed? Let us know here. So I thought to myself ,what would I like changed. And for me the answer was easy, I would like to see chord boxes at the top of the PDF file, and I also thought it would be beneficial to me to have the chords above the relevant words in a song that I was learning. Now that's just the way that I prefer to learn . I emphasize the words. I prefer.

The advice I seem to be getting back is what other people prefer. I guess it's all down to preference

However,

And in my humble opinion, I do not think it was an unreasonable thing to request to have changed.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dancer

dennisg

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:51 pm

thedancer wrote:
I do not think it was an unreasonable thing to request to have changed.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dancer
Even if I disagreed with you, I wouldn't think it was an unreasonable suggestion. But I DO agree with you. I always pick songs that have lyrics, and I want to get to the lyrics as quickly as possible, which means I don't want to have to learn the chord progression first. Not having the chords in with the lyrics means I have to constantly shift my focus from the lyrics to the chords. Not a catastrophic problem; just a minor annoyance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic