Easy for me

Feel free to get outside the box here.
thedancer

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:13 am

My first suggestion would be that neil puts chord boxes at the top of each page so that it would make it easier to learn the songs.
My second suggestion would be that Neil puts the chords above the words in each line of the song so that it would make it easier to learn a songs.

Dancer

tombo1230

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:50 pm

thedancer wrote:
My second suggestion would be that Neil puts the chords above the words in each line of the song so that it would make it easier to learn a songs.

Dancer
I certainly agree with this. By putting C or D or whatever relevant chord at the change point in the lyrics, this makes it a lot easier to learn to sing and play a song at the same time.

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks

Lavallee

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Dancer and Tom, I think it would be a good learning experience if you could try to place the chord by listening to the song and spot where the chord change happens, instead of having all written ahead. I used to think that if it was all done I would learn faster, but I find that when it is all made up, the learning process (to be a better guitarist, instead of just learning a song) is slower. You are always dependent of the chart from one song to another instead of developing the feel for it.

Just a thought

Marc

tombo1230

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:23 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:

Chords Aligned With Lyrics
I like your idea to put the chord above the appropriate lyrics.
I have tried to play and follow the lyrics with respect to the chord progressions but.......
I wouldn't know ho to do this.... I find it hard enough learning the guitar....it would be interesting how to go about doing this.

This may come across stupid to some who are fortunate to have the "gift" but doesn't come so easy for me.

Anyone out there like to contribute what they do? :blush:

:)
Hi Dermot, this is not stupid and I only discovered that this makes it easier to sing and play together when I started to write songs and had to decide where the chords changed in relation to the lyrics. Overnight it just got easier to sing and play at the same time, for me anyway. (Not that I have a singing voice, but you know what I mean I'm sure). If you have a song here that you want to play and sing together, use the lessons here to learn and when you want to see the lyrics to chord changes go to one of the tab sites like( )actually I will PM you as TG may not want other Guitar sites mentioned here. You will find a sheet with lyrics and chords above the changes and you're sorted. Often the tabs are wrong, but the words/chords are usually happening in the correct place. It would be cool if this was added at TG to the lyric sheets. There are other ways of achieving the same result but this is the quickest.

Tom N.

Chasplaya

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:12 pm

I agree and disagree with you Marc, lol howz that for fence sitting. Different learners require different approaches, some learn by watching and listening others learn by reading , Its part of what's called V.A.R.K. = Visual, Aural, Read and write and Kinesthetic. So some will learn by your method and some will learn by reading the chords where they should sit in the chart. I doubt we will get both options.

BobR

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:28 pm

I used to think I needed the chords printed above the lyrics, but Neil's lesson never did it that way. After being here for quite some time my thoughts have changed and I prefer Neil's method. Using his way you learn how to play the song in the right timing and I don't try to fit the lyrics when the chord above the words never seems to be quite in the right place anyway.

That's just my 2 cents

Bob

Lavallee

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
I agree and disagree with you Marc, lol howz that for fence sitting. Different learners require different approaches, some learn by watching and listening others learn by reading , Its part of what's called V.A.R.K. = Visual, Aural, Read and write and Kinesthetic. So some will learn by your method and some will learn by reading the chords where they should sit in the chart. I doubt we will get both options.
It is the extreme center opinion (my approach in politics) :laugh: Someone I know had great difficulty learning English (remember I am from a french area). He was telling me he used to watch movies in English but using french subtitle. He did not learn much. He then switch to English subtitle and his improvement was quite noticeable. Then he started reading book in English. My point is if you want to learn something using the easy way (less involvement) chances of improving will be so much slower. The problem I see with using chords over the words is, it is very difficult to get away from it once you are use to it. I am not saying that every should do what I say, to each is own. The goal is to have fun, if the chords over the text is wanted, why not. But I still still think it holds back on learning.

Marc

TGNeil

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Marc and Bob are onto something. The way I prefer to write songs out is with very specific purposes, meaning completely by design and not oversight or laziness. Making your own charts is very useful and the more you do it the less you will need it. Chords over words make it hard to see the structure of the song as well as harder to memorize. You should have complete command and understanding of the chord progression before incorporating the singing.

Just my $.02,

Neil

Please pardon the American slang sign off...

thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic