Easy for me

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Chasplaya

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:14 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
A
And it's not about technology, GuitarPro has a tool wich, when enabled, automatically does that and you can of course adjust it. So if you use it, you can easily add it yourself. Just a thought.

]
Now this is a good point which could be developed into a methodology for teaching and learning. If members all had Guitar Pro, Neil can continue providing the Guitar Pro files for us minus chords and those who need them can insert their own, this would actually combine Kinesthetic and read/Write, thus improving odds of learning.

But first maybe a lesson on adding chord charts to top of the file and inserting the chord name within the chart. The latter is not so easy as you would need to have some hints within the lesson as to where it goes correctly. Plus inserting lyrics in Guitar Pro although easier now than previous iterations is still not that flash IMHO. And I guess we would all need to have the same version of Guitar Pro.

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:15 pm

BobR wrote:
I used to think I needed the chords printed above the lyrics, but Neil's lesson never did it that way. After being here for quite some time my thoughts have changed and I prefer Neil's method. Using his way you learn how to play the song in the right timing and I don't try to fit the lyrics when the chord above the words never seems to be quite in the right place anyway.

That's just my 2 cents

Bob
Ditto for me. I used to like to have the chords over the lyrics to help out, but have since changed my preference. I now think of songs in terms of bars and measures (at least musically). For me, thinking of it in terms of bars and measures has really made memorizing songs much easier. Once I get a song committed to memory (or at least close), I can then go back and try to sing over it. It certainly makes me back track a bit and the singing throws off my playing at times. However, changing my way of thinking has really made transcribing and breaking a song down much easier as well. I still think that placing the chords over the lyrics is fine as well, I have just migrated..... B)

MJ

tovo

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 pm

thedancer wrote:

I would rather have him spend all his time teaching us how to play the song properly and not on how to finger chords.

MORE CHORD BOXES MEANS MORE TIME SPENT ON NEIL TEACHING US THE SONG

Dancer
I like seeing the chords fingered because Neil often has a particular fingering for a chord that won't always show up in a diagram.

I don't mind having the words and chords separate on the sheet, but that's just me. You said: The advice I seem to be getting back is what other people prefer. I guess it's all down to preference I agree with that. I can't really understand what you mean by that? You started a thread to suggest some changes (Which you are ABSOLUTELY entitled to do, as you pointed out, you posted in the appropriate place to suggest some changes), but not everyone is going to agree and they are saying why. I don't see the problem with that.

Hydroman52

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:03 pm

thedancer wrote:
I hope you don't mind me saying. I posted a request in this section. Feedback. Want to see something changed? Let us know here. So I thought to myself ,what would I like changed. And for me the answer was easy, I would like to see chord boxes at the top of the PDF file, and I also thought it would be beneficial to me to have the chords above the relevant words in a song that I was learning. Now that's just the way that I prefer to learn . I emphasize the words. I prefer.

The advice I seem to be getting back is what other people prefer. I guess it's all down to preference

However,

And in my humble opinion, I do not think it was an unreasonable thing to request to have changed.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dancer

Dancer,

I see your point. You are right, it is a reasonable request for an improvement to the site. I guess the fact that it is automatically posted in the forum does seem to invite comments and suggestions from others including myself. I apologize for confusing your request. I'll sit down and shut up now. Don't want to give the impression that I'm some sort of jerk.

My face is red from embarrassment . . . . sorry,

Hydroman52

willem

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
thedancer wrote:
I hope you don't mind me saying. I posted a request in this section. Feedback. Want to see something changed? Let us know here. So I thought to myself ,what would I like changed. And for me the answer was easy, I would like to see chord boxes at the top of the PDF file, and I also thought it would be beneficial to me to have the chords above the relevant words in a song that I was learning. Now that's just the way that I prefer to learn . I emphasize the words. I prefer.

The advice I seem to be getting back is what other people prefer. I guess it's all down to preference

However,

And in my humble opinion, I do not think it was an unreasonable thing to request to have changed.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dancer

Dancer,

I see your point. You are right, it is a reasonable request for an improvement to the site. I guess the fact that it is automatically posted in the forum does seem to invite comments and suggestions from others including myself. I apologize for confusing your request. I'll sit down and shut up now. Don't want to give the impression that I'm some sort of jerk.

My face is red from embarrassment . . . . sorry,

Hydroman52

Life aint easy,,Dancer your request just stay's and you have many good advice or tips when they do not add your request,,i fond it intresting to know what the hard core was thinkin,,for you i hope it works,,,but there are some great tips..goodluck on the yourney.

AndyT

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:43 am

I've been making my own Lyric/Chord sheets for years now. I've got tons of them.
I find that it helps me to get the song down faster, especially on songs I know fairly well. Once I have the basics of the song down, I can go back to the actual standard notation and get detailed.
Here is an example of one of my sheets:

thedancer

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 am

That looks perfect Andy.

However. Neil says putting the chords over the words make it hard to see the structure of the song as well as harder to memorize .

Looking at your example I would have to say Neil is wrong.

I can see the structure of the song even better now you have shown how it should look. And I think it would be easier to memorize.

And by his response to my request I think. Old habits die hard.

Dancer

AndyT

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:50 am

I don't think Neil is wrong. I think that in your case, like mine, that we happen to learn better when we see it written down like this. It makes more sense to us. I have to go back to Chas' comments on how people learn. I agree with it totally and for me, this helps. It's not for everyone though, and it doesn't help you learn to read music or understand the interval structure any better either.

So, Neil is correct. And I agree with his reasons. But for myself, I'll keep on creating these lyric / chord sheets.

thedancer

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:02 am

You are lucky you can put the chords in the correct place Andy. I cant do that. That is why I wanted neil to do it.

I dont think he cares enough to go the extra mile for begginners like me.

I think he just wants to keep the more advanced people happy.

Dancer

AndyT

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:13 am

You can think what you like, but saying that Neil doesn't care about the beginners is simply wrong. If that were true then he wouldn't even be teaching in the first place. Trust me on that. I know from personal experience.

You can't do it because you don't. I couldn't do it back when I started either. You can learn it if you really want to. I can even teach you how to do it. But then Neil is already doing that if you take the time to work out his lessons. I don't have access to it anymore, but last time I looked, his theory package went into this exact type of thing in pretty fair detail.

One of my students wanted me to transcribe a song for him and I refused. If I do it for him he's not learning a thing except how to play one song. By doing it himself, he learns how to set himself up to play any song.
Its not as hard as it seems. You just have to do it and you will get it. Start with a song you already know really well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic