Artists New To You...

Feel free to get outside the box here.
TGNeil

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi Gang,

Matt and I were just talking and a question came up that I thought I would throw out to you. We were wondering who has been exposed to a new artist here at TG and gone on to buy some of their music. Let us know...

1.) An artist you were not very familiar with
2.) Where (at TG) you found them
3.) What and/or where you bought their work (CD, download, Amazon, iTunes...)

Thanks,

Neil

sbutler

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Neil, I may get slapped here, but I never was a big fan of Neil Young before I found TG.

Obviously I knew of him. And alwasys like CSN&Young. But after I joined TG and started really listening for the first time, what he did with an accoustic guitar, I went to Amazon and bought some stuff.

tovo

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Quite a few actually. One that springs to mind is Jim Croce. I never really knew anything about him although I had heard most of his best known tunes. I bought his greatest hits from iTunes after hearing Have to Say I Love you in a song.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:47 pm

The most recent example for me was Buddy covering The Civil War, I really liked their sound and went right over to YT to listen to them. Not actually bought anything though.

tovo

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:56 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
The most recent example for me was Buddy covering The Civil War, I really liked their sound and went right over to YT to listen to them. Not actually bought anything though.

Oh yeah if I think about stuff from fellow students the list is very long. Artists and many tunes included.

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:58 pm

I guess I wasn't familiar with Greg lakes solo work on the acoustic, either that or the memory isn't that good anymore, haven't bought anything of his But I did join up to his Facebook and his Web site. James Taylor might be another never really listened to him before, haven't bought his stuff either but have hinted strongly to family for birthday/xmas gifts.

One thing I have bought as a result is a CD from a local store of the Highwaymen. I had heard them when they came out but never really got into them then.

willem

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:11 pm

No penny's left for the last view years so i am very happy with the tube and listen there,,

I was not very !! familiar with the Beatles, not my generation i think but i must honestly say i discover them now and on a very special way, i mean trying to play there music and get some explaning and that is very special..

of 'cos there are some more Artists such has Jim Croce and Bread..

Willem

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:14 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Gang,

Matt and I were just talking and a question came up that I thought I would throw out to you. We were wondering who has been exposed to a new artist here at TG and gone on to buy some of their music. Let us know...

1.) An artist you were not very familiar with
2.) Where (at TG) you found them
3.) What and/or where you bought their work (CD, download, Amazon, iTunes...)

Thanks,

Neil
Oh yeah, I just had to go out and buy Tom Petty's entire catalogue just to find out what was sooo wrong and Neil didn't like , bought them thru here so you get credited for supporting him lol!!! Just kidding :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lueders

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Hello Neil,

George Harrison- I haven't pulled the trigger on buying any CD's of solo era G. Harrison yet, but it is definitely on my list. I became MUCH more aware of his back catalog courtesy of Harrison-Week. I dunno if this counts but, I have a uke bill I can send someone. LOL! Actually, the seeds of my uke fixation were sewn with the TG Harrison library. (Then Suzi's "Pearly Shells" kicked it into super-high gear.)

Other bands I have sought info about...or decided to research further because of T.G.:

Raccon- Vanessa'a fault, (busking channel)

Flame Trees Tony's fault (busking channel)

Black- TG Matt's fault for convincing you to do a lesson on this really cool tune.

Camel- I'm just putting Camel down here but ALL of Prog Rocker lesson week was new to me. I liked a lot of it, but especially the camel track!

I'm sure their are tons more, that I am not thinking of...

EDIT: Doh! forgot, Mr. Katz. Al & Helen's fault...thanks Hydro!

AndyT

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:57 pm

There have been a few that I've met because of TG, but I have not purchased an audio in ages. Part of my phone plan is unlimited downloads of mp3's and I've taken advantage of it.

Mostly, I purchase sheet music for stuff I want to learn. The latest has been , Eagles, Queensryche, Bon Jovi, Beethoven, Bach and a couple of others.

Since I read music, and I gets lots of practice on it these days, I find the original scores much easier to use. And they give me a flexibility in how I play them as well.

I have a Taylor Swift song now, and a Justin Beiber one. Neither of whom I knew of before.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic