Artists New To You...

Feel free to get outside the box here.
suziko

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:05 pm

I'd never heard of Ray Lamontagne until I saw Neil's lesson on Beg,Steal or Borrow. I watched the lesson, loved the song, learned to play it and then ran out and got the cd.

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:06 pm

suziko wrote:
I'd never heard of Ray Lamontagne until I saw Neil's lesson on Beg,Steal or Borrow. I watched the lesson, loved the song, learned to play it and then ran out and got the cd.

Suzi
...did you forget to get the T-shirt? :-)

dennisg

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Through Suzi I discovered the Decemberists.

Through Tony I came to appreciate Midnight Oil more than ever.

And through Chris I've developed an enduring fondness for Amy Walker.

unclewalt

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:42 pm

No artists new to me, but I've investigated several of them more deeply. Al Stewart, for one. And Camel (whom I'd only barely heard of, so maybe that counts). Haven't actually purchased any of either, but I might yet. The Tull lessons set me off on a bit of a binge, and I even bought a couple of albums of theirs I didn't have - though I've been a fan of them since I was a little kid, about 40 years.

More generally, I've just gotten a lot more deeply into the masters of acoustic guitar -- Kottke, Jorma, John Fahey, Bert Jansch, John Hurt, etc. -- whether or not they have lessons here (yet).

Hydroman52

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi Neil,

1.) An artist you were not very familiar with
2.) Where (at TG) you found them
3.) What and/or where you bought their work (CD, download, Amazon, iTunes...)

Here are the musical purchases that I can directly blame TG’s influence:

New artists

1. Hector Garcia – Ecos Del Ande
2. Watched Hector’s first lessons and saw this album on the TG site.
3. Clicked through the link at TG and (I believe) downloaded through Amazon. No regrets.

1. Peter Katz – First of the Last to Know
2. Saw AcousticAl and wife, Helen, video of The Fence
3. Purchased CD directly through Peter’s site and was able to get signed copy. No regrets.

1. The Decemberists – The King is Dead
2. I had heard about them a couple of years ago via KEXP radio in Seattle. The bass player that I regularly jam with heard a song from this album and suggested that we pick it up and practice it. Coincidentally, suziko and revier posted a collaboration on The Decemberists June Hymm about a week or two after we first practiced it. Suzi recommended the album and I bought it.
3. Purchased CD through Amazon. I also went to see The Decemberists in concert a short while later, so, you can probably blame that on TG, too. No regrets.

Artists that I was very familiar with in which TG was directly responsible for a purchase:

1. Neil Young – Live At Massey Hall 1971
2. Recommended in a TG lesson and Neil (Hogan) directly recommended to me in a forum post.
3. Either purchased CD through Amazon or through a brick-and-mortar store like Best Buy . . . . can't remember. No regrets.

1. Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill Acoustic
2. Didn’t really learn about this one directly on the TG site, but I was buying The Decemberists album and saw this one. I had just heard a song off of the album and seeing it at Amazon was all I needed to push me over the edge on the purchase. Some of these songs are on my “hit list” to learn.
3. Purchased CD through Amazon. No regrets.

1. The Flame – The Flame
2. This is an indirect influence (sort of bizarre and circuitous). This was the very first album that I purchased when I was a kid, and my favorite at the time and one of my top ten favorites of all time. After learning about Open G tuning on TG, and taking the Wild Horses lesson on the site, I figured it would be advantageous to read Keith Richards book “Life”. In the book, he mentions Blondie Chaplin. I did a little more research on Blondie and found out that he was one of the members of The Flame along with Ricky Fataar. After The Flame broke up, Blondie and Ricky joined the Beach Boys. Ricky also was the drummer in the Beatles spoof group The Ruttles. This research put me back onto The Flame, and I thought that I could now tackle a few songs at my recent skill level. This album is out of print and bit tough to find, but I finally found it and decided to buy.
3. Purchased from Europe via ebay. No regrets.

So those are my actual music purchases that were influenced by TG. Now, don’t get me started on the guitars and other equipment purchases that can be blamed on TG. But, if you ever see a guy in the poor house with lots of nice gear, it’s probably me.

Hydroman52

leeson

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Eddie Vedder.

I never really paid attention to Pearl Jam but that version of Just Breathe really opened my...ears. Downloaded it from Amazon.

Embarrassed to admit I had never really listened to Tommy Emmanuel. Now I own two of his albums and listen to him all the time.

Of course, the most obvious is this obscure artist by the name of Neil Hogan. Though I don't own any albums, I see him and listen to him more than I do my wife!

Bill

thereshopeyet

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks

jim56

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:15 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Gang,

Matt and I were just talking and a question came up that I thought I would throw out to you. We were wondering who has been exposed to a new artist here at TG and gone on to buy some of their music. Let us know...

1.) An artist you were not very familiar with
2.) Where (at TG) you found them
3.) What and/or where you bought their work (CD, download, Amazon, iTunes...)

Thanks,

Neil
My first exposure to new artists here at TG started with all of Neils albums, purchased and downloaded from this site.

Then Hector Garcia's albums again purchased and downloaded from here.

After that, Neil mentioned or played a song of John Renbourn's from the album "The Hermit" . I was hooked and bought the CD from B&N.

On the forum someone posted a video of Antoine Dufour playing Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap. Purchased a couple of mp3's from his web site.

TGNeil

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Hello Again,

These are great and really fun to read. Nice to see that many guitarists are getting some headlines- John Renbourn, Jorma, John Fahey, many of my biggest influences obviously. I really appreciate the specific references, whether it is the artist, album, song, retailer, whatever. I might even have to pick up a little Tom Petty tonight...

Keep them coming!

Neil

sbutler

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:18 am

My message #2, I never knew much about Tommy Emmanuel until I became a member. Now I have over a dozen of his songs.

Rubys Eyes has got to be my hands down favorite. I think I may have even suggested it as a lesson. I'll have to check it out, as soon as I get a handle on Sleight of Hand.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic