Need Input New Community Page Layout

Feel free to get outside the box here.
TGMike

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 am

Hi Folks,

I was kicking around some new community page layouts yesterday with Matt. He referenced the original thread about the need to re-arrange to bring back the social side of TG and notify of new threads and site activity.

Matt wants me to solicit your specific ideas for this. Use this thread to give us your ideas and we will go through them and put something together. Please keep this thread on topic.

Thanks,
Mike

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Mike.

Being able to see the activity column easily like we did in the early days brought to attention what others were doing. So we could comment, take a look at photos, video or walls and basically communicate freely and quickly. This really was a lot of fun and very handy. The chat room would also benefit from better visibility.
I'm not sure why walls disappeared but that was a definite loss too.

michelew

Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:03 am

I actually don't go to the community page much. Firstly it's way too busy.

I really don't think the community page needs to have latest forum info on it. The forum is easy to find. And the info takes up way too much room. It should be about things additional to the forum.

Social-wise I agree with Chris that the lack of walls has reduced social fun. I mean exactly where are we suppose to put limericks now?? :)

Personally, I'm actually more interested in seeing what's happening with the people I know. We used to get the recent activity stuff on our own profile page and from memory it was filtered to be about the people in our friends list. I'm sure other TG'ers are nice people, but I'd rather keep up with people I know.

Still on the issue of profile pages. When I visit someone else's profile page I really am not looking for information that is already on my own page; for example a photo and description of my guitar and my blogs. I've actually been thinking of taking my guitar off because I'm sick of seeing it everywhere.

It used to be easier to look at people's videos and pictures on their profile page. It would be really cool if you could look at their uploaded videos for review and busking on their page (if they grant permission of course). I assume you could insert a link into the profile page somehow when they upload via the uploaders.

I realise that I'm not really answering your question. But, I think most of the social activity used to happen via the walls and profile page rather than the community page itself.

OK suggestions for the community page:
- community map link; map of the TG banner and journey line (where's it been and where is it going next)
- jamming events, social get togethers
- people announcing a open-mic night, concert they are performing at - when, where (gig map?), entry fee, what are they playing, any other info they want to share
- recommendations for concerts that are coming up (maybe)
- link to youtube busking and upload channels
- Maybe a 'What are you working on?' section so people can compare notes regularly.?? (it could be on our profile pages and upload to the community page when renewed) - maybe this could be a pull-down menu from the TG library and a free text box for other stuff.
- a tell us what you're up to box?? - I guess the status boxes used to do that. (it could also be on our profile pages and upload to the community page when renewed)
- recent activities (not including the forum)

It's all the stuff that people are doing, especially social stuff and music related, that isn't on the forum.

OK I'm out for the moment. I hope this is what you were looking for. I have NO idea how easy any of this is.

Thanks

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic