hey new here

Feel free to get outside the box here.
phendrixjr

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:20 am

hi, Im so glad I found this site, so many great songs to learn,but I ran into a hurdle, I wanted to learn IF by Bread, payed for the lesson, watched the video and realize Neil lets you find your own chords???? Uh whats up with that? If I payed for a lesson I would hope that I would be furnishes the chords, by a diagram, of finger placement, is this possible, I bought a chord book, and some of the written chords Neil put in isnt even in the book, so Im questioning the value of this website, if I pay to learn a song if they are accompanied by the diagram of the chords, this would be helpfull, best wishes , keep on strummin!

dtaylor

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:11 pm

This lesson is an example of the quality and depth of the education on the site. Neil doesn't just spoon-feed you the info, it's a chance to actually analyse the chords yourself and learn how they are constructed. This is probably the best lesson on the site for learning about naming conventions and chord construction.
As Neil says about the names he's given in the chart 'it's my opinion...' The nature of the song is such that there are no absolutes in the names given to the chords.

Great choice of song if you are paying by the lesson, you've got a heap of theory to go with learning a fantastic tune.

Dean

p.s. the tab given shows exactly how to play the tune.

dekotaj

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:39 pm

Hey-Welcome to the form.The good thing for folks like us is,not to many lessons like that.I'm not a big theory person.But a lot of folks on this great site enjoy that stuff.We got to give to all around here.But if I find a song on here like that I would like to learn.I go find the tab on the net,or just wait for someone here to get it then when they post it work it out from there.Trust me,you can get it.Don't let little bumps throw you off.

Kevin

sbutler

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:39 pm

phendrixjr , Don't get discouraged. Dean is correct in Neils approach to teaching. He doesn't just teach you how to play a song, he teaches you how to play the guitar, so you'll have the tools to figure out songs on your own. There are a growing number of lessons now that he hides his left hand, and you have to figure out what he's playing.

That approach really helps me to help myself. However, if you get stuck and just can't figure things out, there are a ton of members here that would be happy to help .

Stick with it, and you'll hear the results.

Scott

dsmarion

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Welcome from southeast Michigan. I have not tried that particular lesson but did you notice the attachments section below the lesson videos? There are generally two pdf files with tabulature and a chord chart. So while the video may mention some theory about the chords the tabulature file should show everything note-by-note and the chart file will show the chords and the words. Welcome, and I hope you stay here long enough to get a feel for what is offered here because there is a lot of good stuff to learn.

Scott

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi, Welcome to TG, I,m not sure what you get with the Pay for Lesson side of the site, but this lesson has a separate video (one of 6) of Neil showing how he plays the chords, it also has two PDF charts one tab and one chords and lyrics. If you didn't get that I'd put in a Support ticket the guys/gals in Admin will help you out

BigBear

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:01 am

Hey big welcome to Totally Guitars! You've found the absolute best guitar resource on the internet. Bar (barre?) none!

Dean hit the nail on the head. Our instructor Neil doesn't just generate how to play songs. He is trying to teach us to play the guitar! Huge difference.

Neil changes up the lessons constantly. He'll give you a level 2 or 3 Campfire strumming song and then follow it up with a Level 8 nutcracker. He will vary styles, speeds, techniques and everything else. And recently he has challended us with some ear training where he doesn't show all the chords and wants us to work them out.

If you are buying a single song at a time you run the risk of hitting one of these lessons that will challenge you more than you expected. And maybe not what you wanted. That's why you really need to consider becoming a TARGET member. Then for less than the price of a half hour private lesson you get all the conent on the entire site. I have so many great songs as "songs in progress" that's it's really getting ridiculous. I think I'm under control and then Neil posts another great one.

So if you have the scratch and want to get serious about the guitar give TARGET a try. I joined the same week they started the program and it is absolutely the best value in music education I've ever found. I've learned more from this site in a couple of years than I did in the previous 40. Plus there are hundreds of great people here who are learning the same song(s) you are and can help. All you have to do is ask. Plus, if you get really stuck, you can post a video and Neil will offer real help with his own video comments of your work.

And if TARGET isn't for you these guys are so cool about letting you out with no long term contracts or our commitments. But once you join I'll bet you an adult beverage you won't leave! TARGET is just that good.

So jump in with the rest of us learn a whole bunch of great songs!

Good luck and Happy Playin' !! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:55 am

Welcome to the site! Ah, sweet naivety! You thought you wanted to learn a particular song but found that Neil wants to teach you how to play the guitar (as everyone above has pointed out). A slightly larger challenge for sure... and so worth the money. If you can take advantage or it, this is like paying for a private lesson and getting a half years worth of teaching. No, not like, it's exactly that! ;-)
Have a ball!

PS: The secret site motto is: You can checkout any time you want, but you can never leave!

tombo1230

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:40 am

phendrixjr wrote:
hi, Im so glad I found this site, so many great songs to learn,but I ran into a hurdle, I wanted to learn IF by Bread, payed for the lesson, watched the video and realize Neil lets you find your own chords???? Uh whats up with that? If I payed for a lesson I would hope that I would be furnishes the chords, by a diagram, of finger placement, is this possible, I bought a chord book, and some of the written chords Neil put in isnt even in the book, so Im questioning the value of this website, if I pay to learn a song if they are accompanied by the diagram of the chords, this would be helpfull, best wishes , keep on strummin!
Hi phendrixjr,
you should have six parts to your lesson with an explanation of the chords in part three. You also have tabs, words and files that play in Guitar Pro. If you don't have all of these go to support above and put in a ticket. They will get back fairly swiftly, but everything you need is there in the lesson. Oh and yeh, good song choice! B)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic