How to find techniques for a beginner used in lessons - such as hammer on

Feel free to get outside the box here.
nancyboard

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi - I'm new to Total Guitar and a beginner. I am a target member. I have watched many lessons in the beginner's and acoustic genius series, and I am learning to play. Now I look at song lessons and Neil describes some technique like hammer on or pull off. I'm not sure how to do that. Where can I find techniques described in a way a beginner like myself can understand? All I can find is strumming and finger picking lessons.

TGMatt

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Not sure where the theory is as cough cough I have yet to go through it, so I am sure some kind members here will point it out,

On the song front he goes into and uses it on these 3 songs at least probably more

I've Just Seen A Face- The Beatles (found in content)
Doc’s Guitar - Guitar Lesson (found in content)
Country Blues Lesson 3 - Mississippi Blues (found in content)

Hope that helps some

Cheers

cosmicmechanic

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Nancy,

Example of a "hammer-on"

Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress Guitar Lesson (by The Hollies)
part 4: A Look at the Left Hand
Time: 0min23 seconds into the video

It is hitting an open string and then fretting (pressing down with a left hand fingertip) the string while it is ringing

A "pull-off" is the opposite: hitting a fretted string and then lifting the pressing finger while the string is ringing.

See ya

Pierre

michelew

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:31 am

nancyboard wrote:
Hi - I'm new to Total Guitar and a beginner. I am a target member. I have watched many lessons in the beginner's and acoustic genius series, and I am learning to play. Now I look at song lessons and Neil describes some technique like hammer on or pull off. I'm not sure how to do that. Where can I find techniques described in a way a beginner like myself can understand? All I can find is strumming and finger picking lessons.
Hi from Sydney NancyBoard (Nancy?).

Well to answer your question, I don't know where the videos on hammer-ons and pulls are now. Sorry. Some time ago there used to be individual technique vidoes. I've looked, but can't find them. They may have been re-organised into a a series. I thought that they might be in the free lessons but can't see them in there either.

I'm not imagining this am I. Oooohh my brain hurts.... :blink: :unsure:

Well I realise I'm not being very helpful. But, welcome aboard. Why don't you tell us a little more about yourself anyway (while someone else looks and comes back with some useful information)? We all love hearing about members who are new to the forum.

I hope you have a great learning experience here, even if we can't answer your question we'll give it a go. I hope to see a video from you at some stage.

Have fun.

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:44 am

Hi Nancy, welcome from Switzerland! Matt and Pierre have already pointed out where to see the examples of hammer on and off so you will know that by now. These are two techniques which you can use very early on in your learning, not too hard to get to grips with A nice example of hammering on and then off is in Nights in White Satin on the D chord... check out the Busking the Moody Blues thread, I put up a video playing that a few months back (halfway down page 4.):

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... 0&start=60

All I am doing is hammering on and then pulling off the pinky finger on the high E string when playing the D chord. Hope it helps a little.

dennisg

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:51 am

Hi Nancy,

Welcome from the Netherlands!

Another good example with hammerons and pulloffs is Nothing else matters. Or Vincent, wich immediately starts off with two hammerons. Those songs are not particularly for beginners, but will show you the HO's and PO's.

As for a pulloff, if I may add, it's more than just lifting up a finger, it's actually pulling away (downwards) the string with your left hand to create a note, instead of your right hand. Again, Nothing else matters starts, after a few open strings Em fingerpattern, immediately with a pulloff. The first one is a simple one, so you could try to play that one and see what happens, you'll get it soon enough, since they aren't indeed very difficult, well not really they are, it's a matter of trying it out and getting used to them.

Anyway, welcome again and enjoy playing the guitar!

cheers

Vanessa

dennisg

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:56 am

Nancy

If you go to "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor in the LESSONS section, you will see Neil hammering in the intro. If I'm not still asleep, he uses the middle, ring and pinkie.

TwoCat

TGNeil

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:31 am

As some of you remember, there was a series of short lessons called Quick Tips. They seem to have been left behind in some move or the other. We will track them down and get them back on board soon.

Neil

willem

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:35 pm

TGNeil wrote:
As some of you remember, there was a series of short lessons called Quick Tips. They seem to have been left behind in some move or the other. We will track them down and get them back on board soon.

Neil

Oh YEAH,,that were great tips,, i remember with the PULLOFF your finger goes more to the headstock then to the floor(so a litlle more side way then down way).

michelew

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 pm

TGNeil wrote:

Neil
Thanks Neil (gee you look a lot like Anon :) )

I thought I was going a little crazy and must have imagined your helpful mini technique lessons when I couldn't locate them last night. Phew! I found them helpful when I first joined. I'm sure others would too. Sounds like an archeological dig might be needed. They could be under the 32,000 lesson parts you've added since then. You might need a long shovel. :)

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic