I have a problem with the Beginner's Genius - Part 4 ( Changing chords)

Feel free to get outside the box here.
pmelody

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Hello,

So I'd appreciate it if you people could help me.

I don't know how to read the tabs for strumming, how should I know if I must use the G chord or the C chord?
Also, I can't figure out when the 1st measure is done.... and when the second one starts.
I tried to listen very carefully when he started playing, but I still didnt get it. :(

Could some one explain the tabs to me? ( just for strumming, because I know how to fingerstyle play it )

Thanks in advance :cheer:

AndyT

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Can you count to 4? Of course you can.
Can you do it music style?
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and...

Numbers are downstrums. 'Ands' are upstrums.
Play the 4 counts and change chords. It's just that easy.
Some songs play the same chord for more than one measure. (One measure = 4 counts, usually)
Some songs play only half a measure for some chords.
Songs are a mixture of chords that are played for different amounts of strums.

Look for the slash notation of the song. If you download Neil's Guitar Pro tabs, you can add the slash to it.

This is a very simplified answer, but it will get you going on the basics. Once you have this much down, something will 'click' in your head and you will begin to understand on a deeper level.

pmelody

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Oh thank you :)

It's just that I'm a little confused...
When Neil starts playing the song, he keeps changing chords, for ex. he starts with the G, then goes to the C and then back to G....How am I supposed to see that
changings of the chords in the tab?

I'm sorry, for asking... but I'm 100 % new to guitar playing.

Thank you :)

dsmarion

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:07 pm

See my reply in the other thread. Also, almost always the change to another chord is on the very first beat of a measure. Although your tab doesn't show it you could print it out and write the chord name above the tab. If you watch the play-along you will see he starts measure 1 on G and then changes to C on the first note of measure 3, back to G on the first note of measure 4 and so on. Usually in most every other lesson on the site the tab will have the chord name written above the tab. This one does not however.

Scott

pmelody

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks!

So basically... I must count from 1 "and" to 4.
Cifres mean downstrum... the "and" means upstrum.. ( 2 times right? ) and then changing chords.

Guitar playing can be confusing :blink:

Hope I'll figure it out as soon as possible, so I can start enjoying playing the guitar :P

Thank you for helping :)

dsmarion

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:30 pm

What you have to count to before changing chords depends on the time signature. 4/4 time means 4 beats to each measure (the top number). But the little minutte in that lesson you will notice in the tab the signature is 3/4 which means only 3 beats to each measure - so counting to 3 before changing - 1-2-3, 1-2-3, like a waltz. I would suggest you watch all those videos another time through because now they will make a little more sense the second time through (I watch lesson videos several times over usually to fully understand). So start again with part 24 - A Little Minuette Play Along and move through back to where you are in changing chords and the next one - Play Along Duet. You will get it after you watch those again I bet.

Scott

pmelody

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:34 pm

OK,

Thank you very much Scott.
I'll watch lesson 4 from the beginning.

Have a good day ;)

pmelody

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:55 pm

First 2 measures are a G then a C and then back to G.
1st G, I must go down, down up down up ( 2x ), then with the C I must do it again (1x) , 2nd G I'll have to repeat it again ( 1x )..
Am I correct? Need a confirmation to be 100 % sure :)

dsmarion

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:11 pm

That sounds right to me - play along with the Play Along Duet and you'll know for sure. Good job so far....no one said it was easy :-)

Scott

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:22 pm

pmelody wrote:
[quote]First 2 measures are a G then a C and then back to G.
1st G, I must go down, down up down up ( 2x ), then with the C I must do it again (1x) , 2nd G I'll have to repeat it again ( 1x )..
Am I correct? Need a confirmation to be 100 % sure :)[/quote

Hi you are correct but note on the last up before a chord change Neil lifts his fingers and strums open strings, you use this to position ready for the next down only lift before a chord change and only on the Up stroke.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic