How do you learn a song?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
RicksPick

Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:07 pm

Broken down into two parts...........

(Let's assume we are working on the Target lesson "If You Could Read My Mind".)

Question 1: Naturally we learn the picking pattern and chords. After that, do you try to learn the song in its entirety or you do you learn the first four measures and then add a measure and then add another and so on? Something on that order. What if an unknown technique is needed such as "finger walking" from the G9 to C by placing the fingers in order needed? I am having a devil of a time with that. Do I stop learning the song and work exclusively on the placing of the fingers, or try to incorporate that move into the song as needed?

Question 1: What about distractions? Is it better go off by oneself and play in total privacy, or to have the TV on or some other distraction in the background? Do you work to totally shut out the distraction or try to listen to FOX while learning the song?

How do you learn a song?

Sam

willem

Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:36 pm

I first listen to Neil a view times without my guitar(language problems) but with the chart or tab by hand,,,then I try the whole thing ,it never sounds right a way but the more I try and try it gets better, on the moment i can memorise it I get more right sound,,when I have troubles on a certain transition I do this over and over and over(only that part) when I think its done I try to fit it in or search for an solution(cheating?) this all very slooooooow..

One time I sat in the livingroom,,telly on and a bit noodling on a transition I could'nt get so I tryed it wtih distraction and discovered that it can work,,then my wife came home and said''what you doing,,,telly and playing guitar that aint right!!!'', I did'nt explain why 'cos of the to many words..

I do like practicing when nobody is around or other noices...record your self on film so you see what you are doing or sound, I do that more and more,,,after that I hit the delete button..

I think persistence is the right key..but I'm overloaded with to many songs/lessons

W.

AndyT

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Measure by measure. And if I have to get a particular technique down, I do it during that measure.

willem

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:01 pm

AndyT wrote:
Measure by measure. And if I have to get a particular technique down, I do it during that measure.

So true...

wrench

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Sam, I started playing in March '09, and the way I learn a song now is much different than when I started. In the beginning, I thought is was all about the chords. I tried to physically make the chords and the chord changes first, then I learned the music, then I tried to get the right hand to do what it was supposed to. Over time, that order changed for two reasons: my left hand skills improved to where chords and changes are really not difficult anymore, but most importantly, I have learned that the right hand is much more important than I first thought. Today, I look at a song and the first thing I want to get down is the right hand - the pattern, be it flatpicking or fingerpicking. I like to do this with a video or audio track at hand and sheet music for reference. The sheet music or tab is especially helpful for flatpicking because it speeds up figuring out upstrokes and downstrokes. After I get the "shape" of the song with the right hand, I will play it slow if I need to develop any physical skills for new chords. Once those two are smooth, I work on the tempo. Sometimes this whole thing gets somewhat easy. For example, watch the video below, and you will see how The Edge, who claims he never played this song before, starts a backing track, syncs up to it and nails the song. That impressed me so much that I cranked up a backing track on my keyboard and did the same thing - nailed it on the first try. It even impressed my wife, and that would be a first. As another example, I just started working on "Home" by Michael Buble', which has a beautiful progression of not-your-everyday chords. I still decided first what my picking pattern would be, but I am still trying to get the chord changes smooth even after a couple of days. So here is my short answer - find the picking pattern, smooth out the chord changes, work in riffs and runs, and only then increase the tempo. This process goes really fast if you don't need new skills for the song. It's also very surprising which songs are easy. Remember that Roy Clark video Andy posted a couple of days ago? The left hand is level 1, but Roy Clark's right hand in that video is about level 25. The way most people play Malaguena is actually pretty easy. For your second question, I prefer to practice in isolation. For me, that's just a choice. I think you can learn in a busy environment so long as you're not being interrupted frequently.

[video][/video]

willem

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Wrench,,you mean a rhythm backing track and then play every chord progression you want over it?? when you transpose key's the rhythm stay what it is is'nt it..

dsmarion

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Hey Sam,

I definitely break a new song (especially fingerpicking songs since I am still weak there in my ability and understanding) down into very small chunks. Here is what I have been doing for an approach most of the time:

1 - First I watch the playthrough a few times to make sure when I get to the left and right hand parts I understand the nature of the song and how it goes.
2 - Then I watch the theory, left hand and right hand sections. I have no guitar in my hand at all yet - I just watchthem at least a couple times each - maybe more even. If necessary I bounce back to the playthrough while trying to totally understand what is being taught in the left/right hand parts. Again I have no guitar in my hands yet. I also have not even looked at the tab yet either. I just want to get a total understanding of the song in my mind.
3 - I then go back through the left hand video along with the chord chart and pick up the guitar and simply play the chords to get them firmly in my mind. I don't worry about rhythm or picking yet, just that I know and can do all of the required chords and basically understand the chord progression.
4 - Next I start looking at the tab and (very slowly) start measure by measure to learn the piece. At first I usually don't understand the tab until I slowly do it a few times, maybe even having to go back to the proper parts of the previous videos again to make sure I know what is being taught (I look at these first videos quite a lot along the way)
5 - I then slowly then work my way through, mesaure by measure, up to an amount I can commit to memory. Once I feel I have enough measures to practice by memory I stop and just work on that much. using the tab as reinforcement Depending on the song it may be two of three measures or maybe more, but it is only a small part of the whole. If I get lost I may need to view a video part again.
6 - I then work on that part of the song over and over (away from the computer , by myself, no tv, etc) until I feel I have it commited to memory and can play through it reasonably well, at least enough to move on.
7 - I then repeat steps 4-6 for the next section I can learn and practice. And then I can play more of it by memory, still using the tab as reinforcement.

Also along the way while learning and practicing, I usually listen to the original recording incessently, in the house, in the car, at work, etc. This helps me reinforce my complete understanding of the song and all it's parts. Plus it lets me know where all the parts go because sometimes the lessons don't show the complete real song. The lessons give you all the parts you need to play the complete song and listening to the original helps a lot. Playing with it eventually once you really have it down helps a bunch too.

Along the way if you start getting frustrated -- leave it where you are and just practice that much while you work on other things. Don't let one song stop you in your tracks. Come back to it later. You may be surprised it becomes easier a few weeks/months later. Work on starting another song instead for a while.

Hope this helps a bit...

Scott

suziko

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 am

Guys

There is so much to digest here! Been busy over the weekend with family matters. Will dissect each post ASAP.

A lot of thought and typing. I so appreciate it!

Sam

thereshopeyet

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:01 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic