Where are all the new people?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
AndyT

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:02 am

Truth be told, the action on the Walmart guitar is set really high. It's because the neck is very poorly mounted. It's stuck on at an angle. LOL
I did a few things to it to make it playable though.

Esteban... Hmmm... I had one of those as my first guitar. I've since handed it down. One bad fret, the rest was Ok. Not bad as they go.

Margaritaville http://www.totallyguitars.com/video-rev ... iew_id=807

Have you figured out where to come in on the verse for Margaritaville yet?

Not sure where the Dusty one is...

dtaylor

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:59 am

Maybe they're practicing...

willem

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:24 am

dtaylor...could be!

Andy...Yes, I did learn how to do that. I also got to where I could strum and sing without the two interferring. Then Neil posted "If..." and that song consumed me. Especially after Nessa did it.

Sam

crashcup

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:30 am

Hi Sam:

"New" is a relative term. I have friends who I consider to be guitar legends, but they feel like neophytes compared to other guitar players they know. We're all part of a continuum of "newness" to the instrument.

I played classical guitar in my twenties and then abandoned the guitar for piano. After playing the piano for years (also along a continuum) I consider myself to be quite accomplished--BUT--not nearly as accomplished as so many others I revere. Anyone who strives to be good at anything will never be comfortable with where s/he is. To learn we must always strive to exceed our grasp. That's where true learning and growth take place.

I turned 60 in March. My wife and I celebrated/mourned the event for two weeks in the southern Caribbean. I remember telling my wife: "If had it to do over again I would have learned to master the guitar." Well hell, I'm 60, not dead. So when I got home I bought a Taylor GA4 and have been playing at least 2 hours per day ever since--and I'm not exaggerating.

Now, am I a beginner? Absolutely! Am I a typical beginner? Probably not. I bring a lifetime of music making to the instrument. But I still consider myself to be a beginner along a continuum.

Anyway, we're here Sam. In a way, we're all "beginners." And I hope we're not afraid to seek each other's counsel. Frank Herbert, the author of "Dune" said, "Fear is the Mind Killer."

I love "Totally Guitars." I've tried a number of other sites, and there's nothing like this one. This is my second post in the forum, but I've enjoyed reading others. And I look forward to learning from all of you as I continue my quest to become a guitar player--whatever that looks like in the end!

Cordially,

Bill

Music Junkie

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:34 pm

Bill:

Great points! A warm, if not late, welcome to you as well. Glad to hear from you.

MJ

willem

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Bill

Your points are well taken.

I also practice one to two hours daily and I seem to progress about a half an inch per week. I'm 65, so I understand the age thing quite well. I'm alive today......

Good to hear from you. Post a video!

Sam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic