scarborough fair question

Feel free to get outside the box here.
brewer27

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I just started to get back into guitar playing and have found this site and Neil's videos very helpful. My question refers to the tablature for scarborough fair. The only problem i am having is in measure 18. Can anyone or Neil tell me what left-hand fingers are playing each " pinch" between the open G's. Thank you.

dsmarion

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi brewer27,

I am sure someone who plays this song will answer because I never have played this or watched the lesson - but this is what it looks like to me:

Start with a normal C chord fingering position - leave the index finger on the B-string 1st fret and don't move it even though it won't be used until the third pinch..

First pinch: Open high E string along with the third finger on the 5th string, third fret

Second pinch: pinky finger on the 2nd string, third fret - and the middle finger on the fifth string, 2nd fret

Third pinch: first finger on the 2nd string, first fret (this finger started there on a C chord in the beginning and never moves) - pinch with the open-A string

So both the melody notes and bass notes are descending each time.

Hope this makes sens.

Scott

BigBear

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Brewer- welcome to the forum!! I'm glad you found us and jumped right into the songs. I'm very familiar with this beautiful old song so I thought I'd try to answer your question.

I have learned, through Neil, the concept of string discipline, which I never had before. I kinda used whatever finger was handy to pluck a string. Not any more!! Bad habit I wish I'd never learned.

By string discipline I mean that each string is generally assigned a finger and you stay there. The exception is on four note D chords which can be played with just two fingers.

So if we use the standard guitar finger nomenclature of P-I-M-A-C, thumb-index-middle-ring-pinky, we assign the low three strings all to the thumb (P). Then the index (I) plucks the G (3rd string), the middle (M) plucks the B (2nd string) and the ring (A) plucks the high E string (1st). This assignment of strings is critical to advancing as a finger-style guitarist.

So on Scarborough Fair measure 18, it's simple to see that on the first beat it's P-A with the I following, then P-M, with the I following on the next two beats. And then so on.

By using this strict pattern you will quickly get the rolling, fingerpicking that defines this song. And it will become really easy to play with some practice. It is also a glimpse into the talented Travis picking (pattern picking) that is Paul Simon. You'll find it again in Kathy's Song, the Boxer, Sounds of Silence and so on.

Let us know if you are still having trouble with this because it is fundamental to acoustic guitar. Remember to start slowly!!! Do one measure perfectly before going to two measure. In this type of playing the timing of the pattern and the chord changes is critical to the sound.

Good luck and let us know if you need more help!!

Happy playin'!! :cheer:

brewer27

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:18 am

Thanks to Scott and BigBear for their replies. I have been playing it like Scott thinks-it just feels a bit awkward. It is mainly the 2nd "pinch" in measure 18 that I was wondering about.

dsmarion

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:11 am

Hey brewer,

That particular move will feel weird at first but keep at it because lots of songs use moves similar to that. It will begin to feel more natural after lots of reps.

Have fun!

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic