Nilsson's Cant Live Without You - Chord needed

Feel free to get outside the box here.
willem

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:12 pm

TGNeil wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Chris - I'm not sure if my post added to or subtracted from your confusion, but I hope that it was the latter. It does seem counterintuitive to change from C to Em, especially when the dominant melody note seems to be an A. It would be interesting to hear what the theory is behind this.
Stuart
No, your post made sense and I'm comfortable with transposing in my head (just give me enough time ;-)). Some 7s seemed to get lost in translation though when it moves between versions and keys. On Neil's sheet its written in D (Capoed up 4 frets to effectively F#) and it goes D / F#m7 / Em7 / F# /... so that should translate to C / Em7 /Dm7 / E. But it sounds better when the 7s are not used in the version we are both talking about.
You guys are definitely on the right track here. I believe I mentioned in the lesson that the 7ths on the 2 minor chords are pretty subtle and in the background, following the Badfinger version. Nilsson's was, of course primarily piano with an opening possibly 'borrowed' from Burt Bacharach's Close To You, as done by the Carpenters in 1970.

In the key of C, the D7 chord is accurate as far as Nilsson's version goes, although it would be done with F# in the bass at first, following a descending line from Am, then with G in the bass.

Maybe I'll address this on today's News...

Neil
Today I was in the last two segment/lesson from the Badfinger one and it was for me the first time i transposed with chord numbers ''cos I fond it interesting to do ,I was right on all the chords so I proberly understand how to do it,,,what I not understand (and i was wrong on that chord (F# in D ) is what you call 5 of 6 and must be in G an B7,,,hope I get that down as well...

I fond the lesson very fun too..

frybaby

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:29 pm

I blew past the intro as I was so intrested in working out the chords, but now that its been mentioned.... just wondering if anyone has the time to tab the intro(in C preferably).
Here's a tab I located, but yet to try.

Intro:

e---5-5--------------5--------------5-5-------------------------------------|
B---8-8----6-6----8-----8-----6-6---8-8----6-6------8-----------------------|
G--------5-----5-----------5-------------5------5---------------------------|
D---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

OR

e--------------------5------------------------------------------------------|
B---8-8----6-6----8-----8-----6-6---8-8----6-6------8-----------------------|
G--------5-----5-----------5-------------5------5---------------------------|
D---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Also about this song, it a beauty for sure.. and I am looking foward to getting it down and in my repertoire ( thank again to all the help), but singing it ....... "Honey... close the door and get out the ear stoppers.... "

Carry on
Frybaby

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Also about this song, it a beauty for sure.. and I am looking foward to getting it down and in my repertoire ( thank again to all the help), but singing it ....... "Honey... close the door and get out the ear stoppers.... "
That's where the transposing comes in Fry... you can easily find a key which will work.. and then its not too bad...

willem

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:54 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
That's where the transposing comes in Fry... you can easily find a key which will work.. and then its not too bad...

hI Chris,,you do this song in C ? if !! in which octave do you sing???

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:34 am

Yes Willem in C and Capo 1 (so I'm 3 half steps down from Nilsson) and I sing it as Nilsson does with the octave jump... but I am 3 half steps down so it works ok. On a bad day I start without the capo :-).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic