wild horses lesson question

Feel free to get outside the box here.
emmab

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Greetings:

It has been about 1 year since I purchased the 'wild horses' lesson. Back then I had a problem of putting the chords to match the words of the song. I finally gave up which was not the best thing to do but... I am now trying once again to learn this song. I have seen a few other Internet lessons but feel Neil's lesson is the best. I have also seen a few different strumming patterns as well.

Does any one have a short video (maybe just one verse and chorus that I can use to match what neil is teaching and what words of the song start where? Your singing doesn't have to be pretty or maybe just humming would work.

To me there are too many chords to play to match what I hear and see when others perform this song.

Whatever you can provide, thanks

Maybe someone has added their 'wild horses' to Neil's review area.

Jim

AcousticAl

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:27 pm

emmab wrote:
Greetings:

It has been about 1 year since I purchased the 'wild horses' lesson. Back then I had a problem of putting the chords to match the words of the song. I finally gave up which was not the best thing to do but... I am now trying once again to learn this song. I have seen a few other Internet lessons but feel Neil's lesson is the best. I have also seen a few different strumming patterns as well.

Does any one have a short video (maybe just one verse and chorus that I can use to match what neil is teaching and what words of the song start where? Your singing doesn't have to be pretty or maybe just humming would work.

To me there are too many chords to play to match what I hear and see when others perform this song.

Whatever you can provide, thanks

Maybe someone has added their 'wild horses' to Neil's review area.

Jim
If I remember correctly- Hydroman might have put up a version in the Stones Busking section.
Suzi also did as well- but that might have been a private student review lesson that only Target Members can see.

I could be totally wrong though. I'm hopped up on painkillers for my back right now. ugliness.
I'm working on the chord solo version as well and will upload it when I'm vertical again.

Hydroman52

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi Jim,

I don't know if this will help, but here are links to a couple of versions of Wild Horses in the Busking Rolling Stones thread:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... t=20#70474

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... t=80#79841

I played it in Open G tuning, so, if you are looking for a standard tuning version, this may not help much. However, Neil does go into the Open G tuning version quite extensively in Part 8 of his lesson. I tried to loosely combine Neil's lesson with a Rolling Stones video to create the busking versions. You can find the Rolling Stones video that I used here:

In the Stones video, Keith Richard's guitar is in Open G tuning and Ron Wood's is in standard tuning. I make it a point to keep learning and adding some of the licks that Kieth uses in the video, and it's constantly evolving. Good luck on this song. It's fun to play. You've picked a good one.

Hydroman52

Hydroman52

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:09 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
I'm working on the chord solo version as well and will upload it when I'm vertical again.
Al,

Hope your back gets better soon . . . . I'll be waiting anxiously for your upload. Perhaps you should upload it in both the student review and the busking areas. That way you could get feedback from Neil and Jim will be able to see it in the Non-TARGET area, too. If anyone can do a good job on the singing on this one, you can.

It looks like dtaylor submitted a student upload, and Neil commented on it, but it's in the TARGET Members section and he did the chord solo with no singing. I think you are "sort of" right about Suzi doing the song. As I recall, she and Dennis worked on it, but they felt it wasn't ready for upload at the time. So, I don't think it made it here (much to the chagrin of many). Maybe Dennis or Suzi will chime in if I'm wrong.

Hydroman52

suziko

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Hydro- you are right; Dennis and I weren't able to get Wild Horses to a stage where we felt we could record it and feel good about the finished product.

Jim- as for strum pattern, I think Neil recommends a very basic down (pause) down down up (I think it's called a "ballad strum). You can, of course, mix that up a bit as the song progresses, especially as it builds up at the end. I think for most measures, you play that pattern twice, but not all. I tried to type out the chord changes above the lyrics, but I can't get the formatting to work here (it keeps erasing my spaces). If you want, I can type you up something via email. Feel free to send me a note via PM if you're interested.

Suzi

willem

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:09 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
Al,

Hope your back gets better soon . . . . I'll be waiting anxiously for your upload. Perhaps you should upload it in both the student review and the busking areas. That way you could get feedback from Neil and Jim will be able to see it in the Non-TARGET area, too. If anyone can do a good job on the singing on this one, you can.

It looks like dtaylor submitted a student upload, and Neil commented on it, but it's in the TARGET Members section and he did the chord solo with no singing. I think you are "sort of" right about Suzi doing the song. As I recall, she and Dennis worked on it, but they felt it wasn't ready for upload at the time. So, I don't think it made it here (much to the chagrin of many). Maybe Dennis or Suzi will chime in if I'm wrong.

Hydroman52

ITS a pity you can't upload the same video on both channels,,way back it said to me it was a copy of an early'r video...

Willem

emmab

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks for all the info. I will/have emailed Suzi. Hope I used the email system correctly.

Jim

thereshopeyet

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:47 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic