The 59th Street Bridge Song tab error? - Ques for Neil

Feel free to get outside the box here.
thereshopeyet

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:43 am

Thanks

TGNeil

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:28 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Willem thanks for posting Als video.... it's great :)

When Lisa posted this question it was a while since I had watched the lesson.

As Beaker points out Neil does discuss the notes as he teaches the lesson.

It highlights that you can't trust the pdf's on their own..... !!
Which is a shame.

It shows that it pays to watch song lessons in full when you return to practice them again as there
is always something to be learnt!

:)
This looks like a good time to remind folks about a bit of the TG philosophy- the part about not being a tab site but being an instructional site. I'm sorry you see it as a shame that you can't trust the pdfs but remember they are only a small part of the lesson. It might be compared to reading the cover flap of a book and thinking you had enough information to skip the rest, put it back on the shelf, and move on feeling better informed and educated.

The tabs are supplemental resources, and as such might only make sense in the context of the lesson. 59th Street Bridge is a good example where the written out measures are only examples of the discussions and materials in the lesson.

Neil

willem

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
[quote]Willem
The pdf is much as I've been playing.... except....which gives me another option for
Measure 8 .... i't slightly different from what I've been playing.

I play the D followed by the G (Neil explains the G can be added every now and then).
I think either sound okay. See Video at 6:35mins.

Hey Dermot,, you say you play the G after the D,,,I understand in the lesson to play the G in place of the D,,but playing it after the D sounds even better,,when I finish the tab you will see,,in that measer i play now.....C(with open bass note D fourth string ) then open G(third string) then D(second string,third fret),then G on the first string so it fits in the measer,, I watch the lesson agian..

Willem

willem

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:01 am

I think I leave it this way when I try to play it,,well I will not play the harmonics everytime(only in the no vocal part) and instead of them I will play the open B string(second string),,

Thank you lisa and Dermot to put me on the lesson again..

lschiffli

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:08 pm

TGNeil - I appreciate your comments about the TG philosophy, but it doesn't address my question. I never said anything about trying to use the pdf without the instruction. I watched the video lesson numerous times and because of that, I noticed what I think might be a difference in what you instruct and what the notes in the music are. That difference is what I was trying to have clarified. I read music, so naturally, I would look at the music notation in addition to the video lesson.

Is it possible to confirm which note is correct, D or B?

Thank you in advance for your reply,
Lisa

thereshopeyet

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks

TGNeil

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:03 pm

lschiffli wrote:
Is it possible to confirm which note is correct, D or B?

Thank you in advance for your reply,
Lisa
Trust your ears and let me know what you think.

Neil

By the way, "correct" can be a tough term to define.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Nice spot of playing Willem!

thereshopeyet

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic