What are your favourite features at TG? What makes you come back day after day?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:19 am

What are your favourite features at TG? What makes you come back day after day?
I'm sure the stats on which pages are visited tell their own story to the TG Team but here's a chance for you to state explicitly what attracts you to and what keeps you at TG. Just make a list in order of importance and make any other comments about it and post here. It will be interesting to see what's a more important feature than another for folks. And maybe this thread will help potential newcomers to get an overview of why members sign up and maybe be it will help Matt and Neil evaluate priorities from a member's point of view.

1. I came here for the lessons. First class teaching. Many, many great songs.

2. I log on every day because of the community and the forum. Chatting with friends on our favourite subject and just having a whole lot of fun making great new friends. I'd miss this more than the lessons! Once I have learned the song, it can't be taken away from me.

3. Posting songs I've been working on whether they are TG lessons or not and seeing what others are playing gives me a fantastic, supportive platform and audience that I trust above all. So the Busking and Post a Lesson for Review threads are my Nr. 3 best reason for being here.

4. Collaborations. How much fun is it to collaborate with people from any part of the world on a song you love and post it and sit back as the feedback rolls in. If you haven't done this yet, you need to. Such a blast. And then actually meeting up with someone and jamming together is the most! Would never have happened without TG.

5. Lesson Reviews. This was much higher up my list in the early days, maybe number 2. These days you get a lot of support and useful tips from posting in the Busking thread and so much encouragement and the chance of your song being personally reviewed by Neil is small. But there is nothing quite like getting the full attention of Neil's masterful teaching. A total blast!

5. Posting Off Topic gives us a fantastic opportunity to just connect on anything happening in the world or in our own homes at the moment and chew things through with great friends. I see folks come out with things that they may well not even talk about at home or at the office, I have certainly shared stuff I don't otherwise mention and that makes for a very health and genuine community feeling. There is so much humour shared here, pure mental hygiene!

willem

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 am

Well you said it all,,,of course it are the lessons but lost totally track but then i get inspired by all what happens here..

Its the TOTALLY PACKEDGE,,

W.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 am

I hope I didn't say it all Willem. What's your favourite stuff, I'd really like to know what's a little more important to you than something else?

boldent

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:42 am

My 2 cents:

1. 'Lessons'. I absolutly agree with you, it is my number 1 reason for the enjoyment of TG.
2. 'New lessons'. I love the surprise of a new lesson.
3. 'Lesson Reviews'. Seeings/hearing other TG'ers work on a song lets me know I'm not alone with the struggles. It keeps me practing.
4.' Songs posted'. Same as number 2.
5. 'Community and the forum' can somethings be morning medicine. There are some really comical writers in TG.
6. 'Collaborations'.
7. 'Posting Off Topic.

Personally, I would like to see a thread on Neil's songs. I feel were missing an opportunity to talk about his latest song and what our take is on them. But, I may be alone on this one.

daryl

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 am

One reason why I keep coming back is the ease of navigation of the active threads on the forum. Simply clicking on the "Forum->Recent Posts" button I see at a glance which threads have recent activity. And then I simply click on the "(x new)" link at the end of the topic title to jump to the last few (recent) posts that I haven't seen yet. This site is real easy to keep up with.

Another reason is the humor and support of the members. Me sing? No way. But at TG it's OK. Thanks.

Collaborations and Busking. What fun.

One thing I find frustrating at TG is the lack of organization of the uploaded videos. I would love to go to any member's profile page and see all their various videos they've uploaded (whether they are busking videos, or collaborations, or for review videos, or any other reason/type).

abiliog

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:18 am

Here's my 5 cents about TG.

1 - The lessons. First class teaching, I can't say better. Fortunate, include some great songs that I like and I hope some more will come ;)
I am now more eclectic and listen to more different styles of music than I used to...TG is responsible for that too :)

2 - The Forum - The room for socializing, where we can learn from each other, questioning, sharing, busking, having fun. This is a community feature and it's a great one around here. Never seen better anywhere else.

3 - FTW - Fly on the wall series. Some are really great, especially those more focused on theory or in a special technique. I include here Posting Songs for Review since Neil lighten up a little to overcome our dificulties on that song.

4 - Workshop Series & Accoustic Snapshots - Great to see professional musicians in action.

5 - Luthiers Corner - Some great videos there.

Abilio

schm040

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:34 am

This is an easy question.

1. Variety and quality of Neils instruction and his tab of course. I feel like I get a lesson in my home every day.
2. The non-judgemental nature of TGers, there are so many haters in cyberspace, it is nice to come to a place free of nonsense and mean people.

That's it, and that is a lot.

BobR

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Here's my take

1. The variety of lessons. Of course there are some I don't care for, but there are way more that I do enjoy.

2. The Forum- I look forward every day to see what's going on. The community here at TG is so great. Everyone is so supportive it makes very enjoyable.

3. Collaborations- I have been fortunate enough to be involved in a few collaborations. Some in cyberspace and some in person. If it were not for TG I would never have met all these wonderful people.

4. Busking- It is cool to see what everyone is working on.

Bob

lueders

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Ahh Ohh! I feel another novella coming on...

Well before I get tangential I'll try & stick with the program.
For me, @ THE BEGINNING it went something like this:

1. LESSONS It is the baited hook that got (nearly all of us) here. It was & remains, one of my main source of anticipation throughout the week. I'm like boldent I like the surprise of well, being "surprised" at what goes up that week. Coupled with that is Neil's amazing teaching abilities & kind, approachable personality...that most all of us fell in love with instantly & early on...from those very first videos.

2.) LESSON REVIEWS This was HUGELY IMPORTANT...especially early on it was one of the things that made me initially pull the trigger on the target program. I was stoked that I could get expert relatively frequent feedback on my playing from the comfort of home & from a super-quality instructor...with fractions of what it would cost me to pay for lessons the old fashioned way.I later learned that logistically things do not/cannot play out like that...which I have come to accept. We are all always teaching ourselves anyway, is the conclusion I came to.

3.) THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE QUESTIONS ANSWERED BY NEIL I put this @ # 3 but it really could be as high as number one. One of the down-sides of on-line learning, compared with that of an (in the room teacher) is that there isn't enough contact. Yet, in many ways this is better! T.G. is here 24-7.Questions can be put up virtually anytime & answered in short order. A live teacher cannot do that. You have to wait until next week. This on-line component could allow us to even the playing field between the traditional teacher & the online one...if it were utilized. I think this is a VERY under-used resource that we have at our disposal here @ T.G. (especially while the Reviews feature is not up & running) Not to mention, it takes a lot less time than to do a review, as well. I do not believe students utilize the feature like we should. And a lot of times when questions have been put up. They have not been answered. Why? I dunno. I understand the "discovery learning" thing which makes sense to me. But getting students asking questions...well, isn't that what you want as a teacher?

Well, anyway that was my "Order of Importance" when I started. And then throw in a killer catalog of songs and I was super-psyched!!!Back then I obviously didn't know anybody yet...and I didn't meet all these groovy people I have come to call my friends.My list looks very different today. (I have since more-or-less given up on numbers 2 & 3.) Back then the on-line thing was foreign to me. I quickly realized the forum was filled with some pretty cool people. But I gotta admit, I sorta thought, okay but that's not really instruction from the dude with the mustache & Hawaiian shirt, whose site gets my thirty bucks a month.

This Joe Blow from Akron, Ohio, Jenny Smith from Peoria, Illinois, and Hans Schmidt from Dusseldorf are all very nice and seem to be fairly knowledgeable. But how knowledgeable? I've never seen 'em play. And they're not getting paid diddly squat. I would not be surprised if at least A FEW others didn't have similar thought s like that at one time or another. EDIT: I also felt strange about commenting on other people's videos...still do sometimes. It was a totally foreign concept to me...critique of other's performances? I mean, thought wait a minute here I'm no ace. Lol! Obviously if the guy from the music store is teaching you that is who you deal with. That was my only concept of what lessons were supposed to be like. I have since, seen the error of my ways on a lot of this stuff...

DISCLAIMER:I have enjoyed the heck out of the Damien Rice lessons that have been put up recently. And, I really like Neil Hogan the human being & teacher. Hell, I wish he was my uncle. AND I STILL TOTALLY LOVE TOTALLY GUITARS! So I hope I haven't said anything to piss anybody off. I'm just being honest.

Like I said, nowadays my list is very different. Now it is the complete opposite! It is:

1.) Busking-Particularly Michele's 3 & 4 chord thread. It has rekindled a love of playing that had been missing.

2.) Collaborations-This would be my all-time Number one if either they happened more or I could be participating in them myself,
nearly all the time!

3.) Forum- Simply talking & interacting with a lot of people I have come to call good friends.

willem

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:06 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I hope I didn't say it all Willem. What's your favourite stuff, I'd really like to know what's a little more important to you than something else?
Okay Chris I try..

day after day,day after day,day after day...i can be short but!!

This is the greatest site in teaching and supportive community..

First of it are the lessonsand the way Neil teaches it,,it clicked with me..I understand..It comes over..it feels as a private lesson..revisiting them !!

I like also the fly's on the wall video/lessons especialy when it turn in a lesson or is already there..it is alway's something deeper

of course it is the forum, when i login it is the first thing I look at..

The possibility uploading videos is a thing,,,reviews,,busking,, collaborations,,banner etc

It IS 50% of my life,,,,

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic