What are your favourite features at TG? What makes you come back day after day?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
tovo

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:07 pm

The lessons are what stops me leaving TG. There's 20 bucks a month value in just one of Neil's lessons. I wear a lot of his videos out playing them back so many times.

The collaborations and busking have grown amazingly since "Heart of Gold". I recall when nobody even showed their face let alone sang. There are some wonderfully talented people hanging around here.

I don't do the forum much these days. That was clear to me after I noticed 26 pages or something of a 3 chord tune thread.

Peace.

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Ohhh Sooo much and so little time...

Well for me and not in order of how much use its getting from me...

1. The quality lessons and the manner in which they are broken down, so much more user friendly when you can go direct to a particular section of the lesson without having to go through the complete thing.

2. The lesson reviews, not only for Neils comments but for the 2 cents everyone else puts in.

3. Next is the Forum, however, as that covers a multitude of great things it could also be further broken down to Favourite threads. But the overall community spirit which makes it a safe place, best I've seen yet on the www

4. Collaborations, great to see the 'fruits' of the site being put into practice.

5. The Busking thread, particularly if its also a lesson; not so much a song not in the programme although that is good as it can introduce me to songs I might never have listened to before.

6. The great friendships to be made here and the opportunity to have a dig at Chris every now and then lol (usually pay back)

Now these, whilst in my order of preference are actually very close and at times may overlap. That's the nature of this site

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:01 pm

It used to be:

1 Neil's teaching, including reviews (and for that the opportunity to upload vids), lessons and FOTW's.

2 The forum and community, the chatting, the sharing, the busking, collaborations.

Nowadays, the order is vice versa, but that's because the new lessons aren't appealing to me (wich is fine, you can't please everybody), and because there are no reviews and for that I don't tend to upload. The FOTW's are still fantastic, but I find myself not having the patience to watch them when they're working on songs I don't know. (again, you can't please everybody, so that's fine as well.).....I should though, usually when I do have the patience, they are really really great, same for lessons that aren't appealing to me, Neil is just really AWESOME in what he does.

That's it! :)

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:20 pm

6. The great friendships to be made here and the opportunity to have a dig at Chris every now and then lol (usually pay back)
Chasplaya
Oh yeah, Nr. 6. Tease Charles about how old he's getting!

Lavallee

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:25 am

I am here because:

I like the quality of the lessons which I find are unique

The forum, no so much lately, but that is because I am busy somewhere else.This is where I start my visit on the site. The friendly attitude seems unique.

The lesson reviews, you can learn so much from there.we all make similar mistakes and it is like having a live teacher pointing out what to be careful about.

The amount of work and new stuff constantly being poured in the site from TG. The site is alive. I like to see Neil popping in every now and then, he is not just doing his stuff and going home. I like that.

The busking threads always bring some new songs that I am not aware of

Marc

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 am

1. Lessons - Already covered by others, so not much to add to that.... B)

2. Friends - Never thought I would become part of an online community. Was not my thing. However, meeting so many of you on a common journey with similar struggles and joys has been enlightening at times. A very welcomed bonus indeed.

3. As part of the "lessons", the reviews are great. Even if the song being reviewed is not one which I may be working on, the pointers can usually be used on several other songs I may be working on....

Mj

sws626

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Glad you asked, Chris. I used to come here every day, but I've been elsewhere recently and wondering why that is. Here's what I like most about the site (and a couple of things that, if changed, would have me visiting more often). Although I haven't taken as much advantage of the recently as I was, say, a year ago, I didn't hesitate to renew my membership when it came up last month. So I guess that's a good sign.

1. Community and the forum. My regular visits always start on the forum, so I guess that's what reels me in. Especially when there are interesting guitar and performance-related exchanges.

2. Lessons. I'm much more selective about the songs I try to learn than I was when I first joined, so I guess is it inevitable that fewer of the new lessons appeal; but there've been some excellent ones recently and I'm spending a lot of time with those.

3. Others' song postings. This is really a big part of no. 1, above. I prefer the more spontaneous works in progress, but also admire some of the amazing polished work some of you are sharing. This is what really holds the community together, in my view. I wish I had more time to listen and comment on these. (Now I realize that guilt at not having time to listen is part of why I've not been back as often -- sort of a vicious cycle, which I resolve to break).

4. Lesson reveiws. I hadn't noticed that these had slowed down -- maybe because I haven't posted anything myself for such a long time. But I do really enjoy Neil's comments. And, even more, I appreciate the gesture he makes in posting his reviews.

What I'd really like to see more of are the large scale collaborative projects, like the "Heart of Gold" video so many people contributed to shortly after I joined.

Okay, now here's one big reason I don't come here more often. The site is extremely unfriendly to mobile phones. I spend so much time on the road these days that it is rare I have a full screen computer in front of me. It takes forever to load on a mobile phone and is formatted very poorly to read if you do have the patience to get it to load up. I understand why Neil doesn't want the lesson videos available in this format; but if at least the forum pages could be made a little bit more mobile friendly, I'd visit much more often.

-Stuart

BigBear

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:07 am

Chris- I log in every day first to see what new song has been posted. Everything else is a distant second. I've backed way off the forum. Not what it used to be.....

My favorite feature besides the song studies themselves is the "Favorites" button so I can store the songs I'm working on and get back to them quickly.

Cheers!! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:44 am

Many thanks to all who have given their feedback here... made for interesting reading and gives an insight on how we use the site and what we expect. If anyone else would like to add their in-put, please do...

drfuji

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:10 pm

TG is by far my favorite guitar lesson sight.....but I am sure ready for something else besides Damien Rice and Fly on the wall.....Been a little dry on here lately ....Ready for something exciting!!!!! :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic