Suggestion for Listing Guitar Lessons by Tuning

Feel free to get outside the box here.
jaslu81

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm a newbie and really loving the website and lessons! I was wondering if there was a way to list guitar lessons by tuning to make it easier to find songs that are available in a particular tuning. For example, I may be working on Neil Young song in double dropped D and would want to see what other songs may be available in that tuning. Under the "Guitar Lessons" tab, the first item listed is "All Lessons" and maybe that would be a good place to add submenus for various tunings?

Thanks for your consideration!

Best,

Jim

schm040

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Jim,

Great suggestion. I would like to see that too.

Here is what I do and it works pretty well.

Go to the lessons page and find the search box and type in what tuning you want, for example:

Open G
Dropped D
C Wahine
Double Dropped D
Open D

I am pretty sure all the lessons in each tuning will appear, just do one at a time, you will see.

Also, be sure to type in "Dropped" not "Drop".... Neil is somewhat of a grammar expert.......

It works, try it.

Matt

jaslu81

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:41 pm

Matt, your suggestion is a very good starting point for finding other songs though there's a bit of "noise" in the search results. Thanks for the fast response!

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 am

Nice idea. I have been thinking about re-organizing all of my music sheets at home that way lately. Separate them first by tuning and then alphabetically by artist. It would be nice to have all of your songs in a certain tuning placed together so you could work through them without having to fumble around. Maybe the site could add the various tunings to the drop down menu..... Not sure how much trouble that would be, but it would be nice.

MJ

schm040

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:36 am

Jaslu81,

Not sure what you mean by noise. I just tried it again and it looks like if you do the search all the songs in that particular tuning show up.

What more could you want?

Matt

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 am

schm040 wrote:

Jaslu81,

Not sure what you mean by noise. I just tried it again and it looks like if you do the search all the songs in that particular tuning show up.

What more could you want?

Matt
Matt:

Just did the same for a few different tunings and it worked out pretty good, like you said..... B)

jaslu81

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm not sure why I'm seeing something different than you guys but when I search "double dropped d", I get all kinds of matches like "double time", "Double Vision" (Foreigner album), "double bass", etc. It works well for "Open G" for some reason but not so much for "Open D" where it returns anything with the word "open".

If it's hard to modify the website, how about a PDF download that lists of all lessons organized the way that Music Junkie suggested (by tuning, by artist, by song title)? That would be relatively easy.

Thanks again.

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks

jaslu81

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:49 pm

That's crazy... now it's working for me! I have no idea what I'm doing differently (maybe just the "lessons" checked?) but I'm getting a nice short list of songs. Hopefully this is enough to spread the word?

Thanks everyone! :)

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 pm

jaslu81 wrote:
That's crazy... now it's working for me! I have no idea what I'm doing differently (maybe just the "lessons" checked?) but I'm getting a nice short list of songs. Hopefully this is enough to spread the word?

Thanks everyone! :)
:) :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic