Questions about TARGET and on-line lessons in general

Feel free to get outside the box here.
stevied

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks once again to all who replied. I did sign up for Target earlier today. After reading your posts, and really scouring the site, I was convinced. I particularly like the fly on the wall videos.

With respect to grip (and maybe Neil could weigh in on this), I reviewed his videos on left hand grip. I don't quite have baseball bat grip, but my thumb is coming over more than he shows in the video (I have large hands). When I move my thumb to the center of the neck, my wrist ends up curling in an uncomfortable manner to fret anything but a D chord - and I am fatigued within a few minutes. Do I push through this, or keep my current grip?

neverfoundthetime

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Steve, Neil's hands are huge too so I guess its just practice.
I'd keep trying the LH position it out often but not for long periods to avoid fatigue but the fatigue will reduce and eventually fade.

BigBear

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:23 pm

Steve- Welcome to the TARGET Program!!! Best decision you made today (maybe ever! LOL!)

Chris is right, don't do anything to the point of pain or fatique. Your hands and fingers are really complicated structures and playing the guitar is not natural. Plus it requires some hand strength that will take time to develop.

I think the best approach is to be aware that a low hand position is better than a high one so keep your hand low when you can and rest it when you don't need that position. Finding ways to rest your hands and arm is an important part of learning the guitar. For a musician playing a long set, an hour plus, finding places to rest is crucial.

And make sure your guitar is set up properly. It will be easier to play and really cut down on fatique.

All the best!! Cheers! :cheer:

Lavallee

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:24 pm

HI Steve, welcome from Montreal Canada. Not sure how you are holding your guitar when you play, but if you hold the fretboard to be close to horizontal Neil's left hand position will be difficult. If you hold the fretboard so that it has about 30 degrees, it becomes much easier to have thumb closer to the back of the fretboard and your wrist will be straight and in line with your forearm: resulting in minimal fatigue. It think however that if thumb comes up every now and then, it should not be a crime. Whatever you are comfortable with and does not prevent you to make simple or complicated chords should be the way of doing it. After trying to implement the left hand position as Neil recommend (along with many other tips), I have seen many benefits so I am trying to stick to it.

Marc

willem

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:10 am

Welcome to the TARGET palace,,When you start young on guitar and get the right information your hands will devolop right and maybe you don't get pains,,when you start older and bad habits have to change you can get pains(low wrist etc) but just try it and not to long,,you will discover also great things when you observate your self and things will work in your own way,, the big mistake I made is to go over to many songs(its all so interesting and want to know whats Neil is up to),,its better to stick with one till it get comfort and know the whole song or make a list with 5 songs and number them 1-2-3-4-5 and then the 1 ! is the most inportant..

Hope to see you soon with a video 'cos there you have to work too on the nerves but to more you do it the more you get comfort with it.

goodluck...

ps the fly on the walls are a bonus on the lessons(if it is a lesson here) and also the student reviews are a bonus..oh and we have a busking uploader wich give us a lot of fun,,oh I mension FUN,,don't forget to have FUN..

Willem from Holland

silvermatter

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Great thread :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic