A little help with an old Bob Seger song?????

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Music Junkie

Thu May 10, 2012 8:47 pm

I was listening to some of my old Bob Seger collection and came across a song that I had completely forgotten about. It is off of his "Beautiful Loser" album from 1975 (I think). The song is called "Fine Memory".

Here is the YT clip for it:

The biggest problem I have when working a song out is that I get blinders on and try to fit everything into Standard Tuning (rookie mistake... :blush: ). After listening to it over and over, I believe I am hearing an alternating bass line that goes from G to a lower C. It bounces back and forth between those two and then throws in an E and an F# (I think). The only tuning I can find that gives me that low C is Open C tuning. I have messed around with some picking patterns, but find that I am horribly lacking in that department. I am hoping that someone can listen to the tune and at least verify the bass notes I am hearing, and the tuning for the guitar. I figure if there is any place to get help with working out a song, it is here with some of the best players I know.... B)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Jason

Music Junkie

Fri May 11, 2012 4:48 am

Very nice song Jason! :)

Well the tuning, C-tuning seems to do the trick ;) And nope nothing wrong with your ears Jason, you got the right bassnotes, at least I'm hearing the same B) . Lots of nice little thingies going on in that song, don't know ány Bob Seger, so it was nice to hear one of this tunes.

What/which playingpatterns have you been trying?

Ness

Music Junkie

Fri May 11, 2012 9:38 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Very nice song Jason! :)

Well the tuning, C-tuning seems to do the trick ;) And nope nothing wrong with your ears Jason, you got the right bassnotes, at least I'm hearing the same B) . Lots of nice little thingies going on in that song, don't know ány Bob Seger, so it was nice to hear one of this tunes.

What/which playingpatterns have you been trying?

Ness
Ness:

Thanks for the response..... B)

Since I was giving it a go in standard tuning, the picking was all over the place. I tried just about everything I could think of. Some was decent, but never sounded right. Since I was not able to get the low C that way, I was playing a regular C along with G, Em and D/F#. I will have to tune the guitar to open C and mess with it now. I am totally unfamiliar with that tuning and will need to lean the chord shapes..... :huh: :huh:

My guess is that it will probably make it much easier to play..... famous last words...... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks again Ness!!!!

J

Hydroman52

Fri May 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Seems to me that there was another thread that discussed this song. I can't seem to find it. Anyone else remember it?

Music Junkie

Fri May 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
Seems to me that there was another thread that discussed this song. I can't seem to find it. Anyone else remember it?
Hydro:

I think you and I discussed this song via PM after I posted my go at Doolin Dalton..... :unsure:

I had put it aside and now I am revisiting it after listening to it again the other night. I thought about Open C tuning and thought I would throw it out there. I always get good leads and feedback on my questions and trust the sources a bit more here... B)

J

Hydroman52

Sat May 12, 2012 3:28 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Hydroman52 wrote:
Hydro:

I think you and I discussed this song via PM after I posted my go at Doolin Dalton..... :unsure:

I had put it aside and now I am revisiting it after listening to it again the other night. I thought about Open C tuning and thought I would throw it out there. I always get good leads and feedback on my questions and trust the sources a bit more here... B)

J
Ah, yes.. Now I remember it. The thought was that the bass line was played on an acoustic bass guitar, because it was just too low for a regular guitar. Guess my brain took a little walk on me when I posted my message. Hope to hear a work up of this song soon.

Hydroman52

Music Junkie

Sat May 12, 2012 10:49 am

I messed around a bit last night, but need to find some chord charts for open C tuning... ;) Gonna do a google search tonight and get a few of them figured out and see which ones might work.

J

thereshopeyet

Sat May 12, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks

thereshopeyet

Sat May 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks

Music Junkie

Sat May 12, 2012 7:50 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
[quote]Oh, sorry messed up yr link earlier!

Click Link Below
Open Tunings

:blush

LOL....Looked at that one this morning....Couldn't really get a feel for the chord shapes and the picking though. I read something about dropped C tuning too, so maybe it could be that..... I am finding that I have a LOT TO LEARN in this area..... :blink: :blink:

I am just glad that I like a challenge and that I have friends in my corner... ;)

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic