Embryonic Journey tab questions

Feel free to get outside the box here.
villageac

Mon May 21, 2012 7:23 pm

I am having trouble following the video lesson and the tab for Embryonic Journey. In the first measure, 3rd beat, there is a pinch of the 6 and the 2 string and you hammer on the 2nd and 4th string at the 8 and 9 fret respectively. Is the 9 right after the tied hammer on 9 supposed to be plucked as you strike the hammer on? In the second measure, the barre is on the 7th fret, you pinch the 4th and 2nd string and hammer on the 8 and 9. The next beat you pluck the 6 then the 2 and hammer on the 8 and 9 - but you don't pluck the 9 - correct? On the 3rd beat you pinch 6 and 2 hammer on 8 an d9 and then use your thumb to strike the 4th string as the hammered on 9 is hit? And then you pull off the 9 to the barred 7? Do you strike the 7?

Sorry, but I am horribly confused about what to strike and when to strike it - I don't feel the video was very clear about precisely what to do and the tab did not help me, so I'm hoping for some clarification

Lavallee

Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 am

Hi Villageac, I have not work on the song yet so I am sure people who had will jump in. From your first question:

In the first measure, 3rd beat, there is a pinch of the 6 and the 2 string and you hammer on the 2nd and 4th string at the 8 and 9 fret respectively. Is the 9 right after the tied hammer on 9 supposed to be plucked as you strike the hammer on?

A: The first part of a hammer on or pull off is plucked with the rigth hand and hammered on or pulled off with the left hand finger, the second part is not rehit In your question, you let the 9 ring from the hammer on then you hit following 9 with the thumb to keep the alternating base going which is alternating from the fat E and the D string

In the second measure, the barre is on the 7th fret, you pinch the 4th and 2nd string and hammer on the 8 and 9. The next beat you pluck the 6 then the 2 and hammer on the 8 and 9 - but you don't pluck the 9 - correct?

A: Correct it is the same hammer on as before

On the 3rd beat you pinch 6 and 2 hammer on 8 an d9 and then use your thumb to strike the 4th string as the hammered on 9 is hit? And then you pull off the 9 to the barred 7? Do you strike the 7?

A: You hit the 9 with the thumb as you said but do not hit the 7 as the result of the pull off is the 7, so you do not hit (otherwise there would be no need for the pull off).

Hope this helps

Marc

villageac

Tue May 22, 2012 6:20 am

Thanks - and some followup:

So then there is not a constant alternating thumb base 6 4 6 4 going on - measure 2 beat 2 the open 6th string is played but the following second part of the alternating base is not - it is hammered on without striking and then the 3rd string is played - I guess you could do that with your thumb as the "alternating base" second part.

Also, on the 3rd beat measure 2, as pull off the 4th string 9 to 7, you would strike the 2nd string 7 - correct?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic