A little bit of fingerpicking

Feel free to get outside the box here.
heyjoe

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Tg'ers

It's been quite a while since I posted a video here, so I thought its time to remedy that.
I have to say that I've been totally inspired to do this by Tonys aka Tovos post A little bit of blues, that and having a look through the busking posts, all I can say is wow, there are some seriously talented people on here.

Where Tony's dream is to be a bluesman, mine is to be able to fingerpick in the style of Chet Atkins, or Tommy Emmanuel- or something approximating to that. I decided a while back that it was time to get my " boom-chick" on. As per Tony, I've been using a few different sources ( which I'll happily supply via PM), and I'm really really enjoying myself, happy in the knowledge that I've progressed already, and have a long way to go.

I also took the decision that the technically correct way of playing wasnt working for me, and was actually causing me hand and back problems, so I've modified them to suit me. Same with my fingerpicking style, I know its not the correct way, but it works for me at the moment, and as always, is a work in progress.

Watching the videos has already made me realise a few things I need to work on, I'm sitting here smiling, looking forward to my next practise session.

Hope you enjoy the videos, I would love your comments.

Joe

All videos are about 1 minute long

Amazing Grace

House of The Rising Sun

dennisg

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:42 am

Looks like you're off to a flying start in realizing your dream about being a seriously good finger picker.

I'd love to hear you play through an improved recording setup, because right now we're getting nothing but treble. Your bass strings are acoustically invisible.

heyjoe

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for the feedback Dennis, I'll look into my recording set-up and see if I can boost the bass so its more audible in the future.

I'm also working on using a thumbpick, which certainly boosts the bass, its a tricky thing to use, but I'm getting there.

Joe

willem

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:31 am

Hello Joe,,I love I like it and so on,,I saw and heard so much good things,,,first that finger pickin without anchoring your pinky that is just super and must keep it that way,,,then I heard a lot of melody for example on ''the house of the rising sun'' it must be melody 'cos I saw for me unknow'nt chords...well some..

just great.

I too love finger pickin and I ask my self everytime when I do it ''how hard or with which power must I pick the strings''? and the answer have'nt yet come to me..

thats maybe the case for the the basses what D told(I do hear the basses,,but soft),,so I put a question on your thread in the hope we get some good responses..

''with which intension or power do we have to pluck or pick the strings ,,must we have power full fingers or other things for creating a reaseble sound,,,with nails or without(flesh etc)..

Willem

MarkM

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 am

Joe,

You've been busy haven't you. Your hard work is paying off. I agree with Dennis on the lack of bass. Looks like you are plugged in to something but not sure if the camera is picking that up or not. Anyway good job and l look forward to seeing you progress.

MarkM

BobR

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:28 am

Hi Joe,

Nice posts to show that your practice is well worth your time.

Nice job(s)

Keep at it

Bob

tovo

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:05 pm

Hey Joe. Love your post and I'm glad your passion for picking is being applied to your practice. I can see a lot of work in what you have posted and picked Streets of London quickly which can't be a bad thing right? I think as Den said you are well on your way. Sound issues aside, I think the next step will be where you can relax a little and really start to enjoy the music as you play it. That will result in more fluidity and better results overall. I know...sounds easy doesn't it?! :) As I have said in response to kind comments on my own post, I'm sure that the gain will justify the pain. Great work, very happy for your progress thus far. Keep it up.

daryl

Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Joe, You're doing GREAT! Very smooth and controlled. Have your tried doing "Freight Train" or Lennon's "Julia"?

The next thing you have to work on is "thumb independence" - where your thumb plays one thing and your other picking fingers do something totally different. I've been working on Tommy's "Blue Moon" for a very long time and only have a few measures under my belt.

I'd love to know what other finger picking things you are working on.

Please keep us up-to-date with your progress.

buddy

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Joe, kudos to you for taking on your finger style challenge. You sound like you are making some pretty darn good progress to my ears. You seem pretty relaxed and the notes are sounding good to me. I really liked your Shallow Creek Blues video.

Bud

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Hey Joe

That's a nice collection of videos

Thanks for sharing them.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic