A little bit of fingerpicking

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Lavallee

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Hey Joe, great fluidity in your picking. Lots of practice I am sure , for a great result.

Marc

gavind1

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:53 am

I took a quick look at the first vid. Picking is actually good, however there were instances were strings did not sound. Practice makes perfect here and feel for the song. Good luck.

tombo1230

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:05 pm

Hey Joe! ;)

Watched your vids and thanks for sharing those with us, it's nice to see what everyone is doing and where they're at. You seem indeed relaxed, which is certainly a good thing. As for the left hand, I can't say it enough, but work on the sustain of the notes, it's one of the most (if not the most) important aspects of guitarplaying and fingerpicking in particular. You tend to cut them off at the end of each measure when going to the next chord, which results in a pause. So my advice would be, slow things down and work on sustain sustain SUSTAIN!!!! :)

cheers

Ness

Craig

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Joe,
Congratulations on setting a goal for yourself and going for it. Your hard work is already paying off! I look forward to some updates of your progress as you keep at it. Thanks for sharing.

Craig

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Hey Joe, How are you. Obviously you've been working hard, great progress being made all the good advice has been given all I can say is to keep practicing slow then build up speed till its all memorised and it will become more fluid and things like sustain will improve.

Great stuff!

willem

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:49 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Hey Joe! ;)

Watched your vids and thanks for sharing those with us, it's nice to see what everyone is doing and where they're at. You seem indeed relaxed, which is certainly a good thing. As for the left hand, I can't say it enough, but work on the sustain of the notes, it's one of the most (if not the most) important aspects of guitarplaying and fingerpicking in particular. You tend to cut them off at the end of each measure when going to the next chord, which results in a pause. So my advice would be, slow things down and work on sustain sustain SUSTAIN!!!! :)

cheers

Ness
And Ness means sustain, :laugh: B) which you can get by playing a open string at the end of each measer or let a finger stay on his place while changing from one chord to the other,,I realy discovered this in ''your song'' lesson and ''is there anybody out there'',,well I work on the sustain too..its a great thing..

when you do a staying finger (leading finger) it must be a note from the up coming or next chord,,,

just my penny's for a helping hand,,,

Willem

lueders

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Hey,

(Didn't know if I should say Hey,HeyJoe or simply Hey, Joe?) lol

Anyways, Joe I really enjoyed these! I don't remember seeing any of your posts (Or have I just missed 'em somehow?)
So, it was quite good to see not one but four from you. Very Cool!

Cori

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Hey Joe,

Very nice initiative to post these. I especially appreciate "Streets of London", which I still struggle with myself, but am getting there.

I sure understand your interest in fingerpicking ... have you gotten into any hybrid picking, that is: using a pick and plucking the strings with the major and ring fingers ?

Pierre

heyjoe

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks for all the wonderful replies, and for the ways in which I can improve my playing, its just what I was looking for. I'll be incorporating it all in my practising in the future. So thanks again.

Dennis, thanks for pointing out the bass ( or should I say lack of it) issue, I'm running the guitar through an amplifier, so the guitar and amplifier settings are now bass heavy and treble muted. I've done a couple of rough test videos, and the balance seems much better. I've taken note of the settings and will be using them in the future, thanks for the help.

Willemapart from altering my guitar settings and amplifier, I think the best way is just to keep practising fingerpicking, the thumb and fingers on my plucking hand will get stronger so the bass notes will stand out more eventually. After all, its all about muscle development and memory.

MarkThanks for the kind works, tweaking the amp and guitar is helping.I'll be posting videos as I progress.

BobrPractising is the most fun its been in years. Thanks

TonySame approach, slightly different style of music, but we're both getting there. Completely agree about the relaxing, its better than it was, but I'm not there yet. Good luck with your progress too.

Daryl Thumb independence is one of the goals I have set myself. I'm now starting to be able to hear my thumb playing in isolation from the rest of the strings as I'm playing a song, which I'm finding is a great help. The progress is slow, but I'm happy I'm progressing. I've had a look at freight train, thats one for later. Windy and Warm is one I've struggled with for years, and its slowly starting to make more sense now, as I progress I know I'll get it eventually. As for what else I'm practising, just more fingerpicking exercises in the same vein-from I book I have.

BuddyI'm glad you like Shallow Creek Blues, I found it on the internet, studies it and decided to have a go. I was slightly relaxed! This challenge will go on for a long time, and I'm enjoying it.

DermotGlad you liked the videos, thanks

MarcI'm practising every day. The fluidity is getting better thanks, lots and lots of repetition and studying, so much fun.

Gavind1I think I need to relax more so the strings ring more, thanks for the feedback.

NessYou got me, its a problem I've had for ages, and something I need to work on. Sustaining the notes has always been an issue. I did wonder about it on these song, so I'm glad you mentioned it. Its something I'm going to have to look into. I'm going to post a new thread about it soon, so feel free to give me more help there please.

CraigThanks for the feedback, I'll be updating when I have progress.

Chas Its good to be back, things have been up and down, but I'm getting there. I hope you are well my friend. Thanks for the advice too.

Leuders Cori, fell free to call me Joe! I havent posted for a while, mainly due to health reasons ,been lurking mainly, but I've found a style I really want to play so I'm motivated and ready to contribute to the site again. glad you enjoyed the videos.

PierreIts not actually Streets of London, but its so close many people have thought it was. Its simply an exercise from a book I use, its fun to play. I'm working on using a thumbpick, so is that classed as hybrid picking?

Thanks

Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic