Liking/Voting on submitted videos?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
rdaltry

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:23 pm

I would like to see a way for members to "like" or "vote" on the videos that members post of their songs.

Is there a way that TG could provide this?

Sometimes I would like to vote without necessarily taking the time to write a comment.

Maybe a "star" rating system a la Netflix?

Then, if we could get lists of videos sorted by (1) highest star rating, (2) most "liked" (3) most viewed (4) most commented - that would be cool.

Maybe this is already here and all the drugs I did back in the 60's and 70's has just (comfortably) numbed my mind enough to not allow me to figure it out?

Also, is there a way I can "bookmark" threads in my account so that I can find them more easily later without having to go search?

Just sayin... 8-)

daryl

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:35 pm

To "bookmark" a thread go to the bottom of the thread and hit the "favorite" button. Then you can go to your forum profile ("community->forum profile") and select the "my favorites" link.

dennisg

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm not too keen on the idea of rating people's videos. First, people on this site want to support the efforts of others, not give them a low rating, even if it's warranted. Second, it's difficult enough to get people to post videos as it is, and once they understand that the videos will be subject to that kind of a rating system, I'm afraid it will only discourage people further. I like that you're thinking outside the box, but letting some people know that their videos are awful is not where I want to go with this site. I'd rather just give them encouragement when I can and some suggestions to help them improve.

willem

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:08 pm

I second what Daryl and Dennis said...

Lavallee

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

I agree that a rating of the posted videos would be counterproductive as it would scare anybody who has not posted yet or who is just beginning. I would turned out into a competition and create friction. Earlier on this site there were thumbs up and thumbs down kind of rating on the post that people would put up. Because the writer was anonymous, it was encouraging cheap shots, a little bit like YouTube. So I like the comments because our name is behind the comment. It does not take long to write "good work" and no time to post nothing. So our past experience for that was not so good. Any other way to positively encourage people to post, you get my vote.

Marc

tovo

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:31 pm

I think this is an interesting question. I like the vibe that has been created on TG in terms of supportive comments. I really like that we avoid the Youtube style of abuse and cheap shots. "You suck man" is not particularly helpful and plain mean-spirited.

I would like to offer something though as someone who feels I have learned a lot from really great feedback. Although I always really encouraged honest feedback in my posts, I wasn't always ready to hear it. Well that was MY problem. When I actually got my head out of my ass, stopped being precious and really, really listened to what was being said, only then do I think I learned how to really use feedback and really start to improve.

So, yes it's great to be encouraging and most people here do a top job of that. But I do sometimes think we err on the side of saying "great job" a little too much, although "great job" beats "you suck" any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I don't think a rating system is what we want. Giving a thumbs up or thumbs down doesn't really help at all. What we want is clear and constructive feedback. I think we get that in most cases.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:54 pm

I have to back up Dennis, Marc and Tony on this.... not rating, its not helpful for development and this site is about developing and "growing" guitar players.

familyman4

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:59 pm

As a fairly new member of the TG site, I would like to go on record and say that I really like the fact that this site is for all ranges of players. From beginners that need a lot of encouragement to really good players that are well seasoned, but still need honest and good feedback. The thing that really seperates this site (and convinced me to join) is that there is such a strong since of community and encouragement.

I do not feel that a "ranking" system would be in the best interest of the members. I have not posted a video yet but it is because A) I don't have the appropriate equipment yet and B) I am still learning my way around the site and the people. When I do post a video, I hope that I will get real feedback from other members. Something that will help me grow as a musician and as a technical wizard.

Anyway, for those of you that have been around for a long time, this is really your right to voice opinions, not a newer member like myself. I just want you to know what I feel attracks new members and more folks to the site.

Thanks...
Bart

tovo

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm

familyman4 wrote:
Anyway, for those of you that have been around for a long time, this is really your right to voice opinions, not a newer member like myself.
Thanks...
Bart
That's the only thing about your post I can't agree with Bart. You have every right to state your opinion, doesn't matter if it's your first post or your 50001st. No person's opinion is more important just because they have hung out on this site for longer. (in my opinion! ;) )

mark

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:36 am

I also would be against introducing a voting system.

Music isn't a competition and everybody on the site is at a different stage of their learning.
The problem with "most watched", "best of" etc etc is that somebody always feels left out or that they should have done better.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic