Liking/Voting on submitted videos?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
mark

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:45 am

tovo wrote:

I would like to offer something though as someone who feels I have learned a lot from really great feedback. Although I always really encouraged honest feedback in my posts, I wasn't always ready to hear it. Well that was MY problem. When I actually got my head out of my ass, stopped being precious and really, really listened to what was being said, only then do I think I learned how to really use feedback and really start to improve.

So, yes it's great to be encouraging and most people here do a top job of that. But I do sometimes think we err on the side of saying "great job" a little too much, although "great job" beats "you suck" any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I think Tony makes some excellent points here. I think we do err on the side of saying "great Job" too much but I also completly understand the problem of asking for feedback and then not liking it when you get it.
My worry is that sometimes people submit something and don't really get much feedback on how to improve it.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:53 am

Tony is right on Bart, you are just as much a TGer as anyone else no matter when you joined... and its those who post who influence the site and culture at TG.

AndyT

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:42 am

I used to comment on videos here quite a bit. but over time, I've less time to watch them and by the time I see them, someone has already given the same advice I would've. Instead of simply repeating it, I choose not to post.

It has an effect on me though, because I seldom comment anymore, I feel guilty about posting and expecting anyone else to comment. Obviously, that's not the case, but it doesn't stop the feeling.

But, to the point of the thread, I agree that a rating system is a bad idea. It would cause the same kind of feelings that I described and would exaggerate ones already extant.

tombo1230

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:10 am

AndyT wrote:
I agree that a rating system is a bad idea. It would cause the same kind of feelings that I described and would exaggerate ones already extant.
I am against a rating system for all of the good points already raised. The spirit of encouragement is one of the things that seperates this site from others.

I think, if someone wants a critical analysis they need only post a video to Neils student section, or to the forum and ask for pointers on how to improve. This is how it works at present and if it ain't broke..........

Like has been mentioned before, there is a lot to be gained from just posting, so we don't want to discourage it, or piss anyone off who does take the time and effort to do so. No grading system please! :)

Tom N.

rapsidy

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:28 am

I understand where you're coming from RD, since commenting or giving advice and feedback does take time, with your suggestion it would be easier to quickly express if you like something or not. Still personally I'm really glad we don't have a voting-thing here at TG......the way it is now is actually quite unique and like others have said already, it really separates TG from all other sites.

And you know, how much does it benefit the one who has posted the video? That person doesn't really know why you liked something or not, and he/she wouldn't know what to work on next etc. So actual feedback remains a very important thing, yes along with the 'good jobs'! ;) :P And actually, I agree with that, it's álways a good job to post something in the first place, it takes guts since it makes you vulnerable, so crossing that bridge is álways a good job to me. Sure I often offer feedback too, especially when someone asks for it.

Well you get the picture, please nó voting/rating-system! :)

Ness

Hydroman52

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:14 am

Hey rdaltry,

Don't feel bad that your suggestion wasn't well received. As others have mentioned, something similar was tried in the past, and it went bad. The management wisely removed it altogether. It was a long time ago. To be honest, I could never give anyone a thumbs down or a bad mark, so I wouldn't add any value to a system like that.

Back when I was first learning how to play, there wasn't much opportunity to get feedback. Until I got to be a better player, my friends were brutally honest and told me that I sucked even though I was improving. They didn't seem to see the importance in that type of thing. It would have been very easy to drop the ball and give up in that kind of atmosphere. It was huge when someone said "Hey, you've gotten better since I last saw you", and, when someone gave good advice on how I could improve, that was icing on the cake.

With all that in mind, I wouldn't participate in a thumbs up/thumbs down system, and I wouldn't participate in anything where a commenter isn't identified. I'm a firm believer in encouragement, and post whenever I have the time. Like Andy, I don't always have the time to comment, and, many times, someone else has already made the suggestion that I would have made.

Thanks for bringing this up. It's good to hear how others feel about the subject.

Hydroman52

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:08 am

dennisg wrote:
I'm not too keen on the idea of rating people's videos. First, people on this site want to support the efforts of others, not give them a low rating, even if it's warranted. Second, it's difficult enough to get people to post videos as it is, and once they understand that the videos will be subject to that kind of a rating system, I'm afraid it will only discourage people further. I like that you're thinking outside the box, but letting some people know that their videos are awful is not where I want to go with this site. I'd rather just give them encouragement when I can and some suggestions to help them improve.
Absolutely my sentiment, good on ya Dennis! @ rdaltry, Don't be disheartened I thought along these lines at the start of TG but mellowed to the idea of just encouraging others the way I would like to be encouraged, I know some people are ratings minded and wouldn't object but I believe the majority would simply not post, it goes back to the days when posts had the karma buttons and you could give negative points, not good karma with that at all!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic