Top technique tunes

Feel free to get outside the box here.
bazzaspain

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:28 am

I just decided to focus my practice around some of my weaker abilities, so am putting together a list of preferred tunes in the target programe that focus on specific areas like for me particularly fingerpicking and damping and muting. I wouldn't like to suggest for one minute that that's all my weaknesses of course and once I've listed three or four tunes that I want to play regularly and I think provide a decent amount of practice I'm going to start listing others that provide more specific focus on other areas, maybe strumming patterns, changing tempo or whatever

It made me think though that Neil with his years of experience at teaching has probably his own list of tunes that he feels give beginner, intermediate or more experienced players a better focus on specific areas that will maybe be better to focus on initially

Now I know Neil's a busy guy and wouldn't want to stop him turning out all these great tunes for us to practice but if he ever finds the time maybe he might like to put together a list of the tunes he feels give best focus for practice in specific areas for different levels

willem

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:03 am

Hope he stay's forever young..

peleus

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:37 am

I would say rather timeless.

RicksPick

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Bazz
There was a list given by Neil
Prob buried in the forum

RicksPick

sbutler

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:02 pm

I don't remember Neil addressing such a list unless is was around the start of the new year, when FOTW Fred came up with the notion of staying current on all the songs he'd learned. I remember Neil adding something to that discussion.

I do think it would be a great idea to see a list of preferred songs, based on the simple fundamentals of everyday techniques though. I could use that. Although I rind myself practicing songs that have stuff in them that I need to work on anyway. Heck every song for me is that way.

SCott

dtaylor

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Especially as the site is all about techniques not song learning, if every song was chosen for its utility in teaching a technique then it makes sense to categorise them as such.

thereshopeyet

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks.

RicksPick

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Ok I have found the list that I printed off in the early days of TG
it lists them in order of difficulty, it was a list of songs that Neil produced and each lesson was to learn a technique.
The site has moved on a long long way since then so it is out of date as such.
But I guess you could use the same method on the Master menu, pick strumming and go through the levels, picking out each strumming one, picking ....etc

As printed

Difficulty Level
Level 1

Lucky Man

Level 2

Dont fear the reaper
House of the rising sun
MY MY HEY HEY
Norwegian Wood
Teach your children

Level 3

Bad moon rising