Strumming in 6/8 time

Feel free to get outside the box here.
michelew

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks Den for a good example and a reminder of this great song.

Shel

michelew

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:15 am

I've got some good examples of how to strum 6/8 time after watching the three videos offered here (and getting more advice) and specifically the Elvis song.

I do know that the way you strum a song will always depend on the feel you're looking for. So for a bunch of different 6/8 songs it will vary depending on how energetic you want it to be (even just in parts), amongst other factors.

I think i explained my question really poorly, so I'm just back to clarify. I guess I was interested in how many potential strums 6/8 generally becomes, if you count a down stroke and an up stroke as two different strums. (The number in brackets are the beats - capital D or U is a stressed strum)

- 4/4 is generally a maximum of 8 strums, (1) D u (2) d u (3) d u (4) d u (of course you generally don't hit the strings for every one of those) - with at least the 1st down being emphasised. (And of course some sections of 4/4 can be more than 8 potential strokes if your launch into double strumming as Nessa does so well).

- 3/4 is generally a maximum of 6 strums, (1) D u (2) d u (3) d u ( the 1st down being emphasised)

Both of these time signatures have a quarter note as the beat.

So I was wondering whether you generally have:
- 6 potential strums for 6/8 (which could be (1) D (2) u (3) d (4) U (5) d (6) u (stresses on beats 1 and 4 - one of which is a down, one of which is an up); or
- 12 potential strums for 6/8 (which could be (1) D u (2) d u (3) d u (4) D u (5) d u (6) d u.

Dennis' song seemed to turn from arpeggiated eighth notes to D du d D du d. And Willem's seemed to fit a similar model. Obviously this approach works best for energetic sections of songs.

Nessa has shown me some other approaches for different songs depending on the feel. Thanks Ness, you're a gem.

So I've got a heap of approaches to try.

I'm really just trying to explain what I was talking about better, well I don't think I did a very good job the first time, maybe I still haven't.

OK - As I said, I think the best approach is song specific so I'm not really looking for more advice here. I just didn't want to have people read this and simply scratch their head thinking, "what tha'"

Shel

willem

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:09 am

michelew wrote:
I've got some good examples of how to strum 6/8 time after watching the three videos offered here (and getting more advice) and specifically the Elvis song.

I do know that the way you strum a song will always depend on the feel you're looking for. So for a bunch of different 6/8 songs it will vary depending on how energetic you want it to be (even just in parts), amongst other factors.

I think i explained my question really poorly, so I'm just back to clarify. I guess I was interested in how many potential strums 6/8 generally becomes, if you count a down stroke and an up stroke as two different strums. (The number in brackets are the beats - capital D or U is a stressed strum)

- 4/4 is generally a maximum of 8 strums, (1) D u (2) d u (3) d u (4) d u (of course you generally don't hit the strings for every one of those) - with at least the 1st down being emphasised. (And of course some sections of 4/4 can be more than 8 potential strokes if your launch into double strumming as Nessa does so well).

- 3/4 is generally a maximum of 6 strums, (1) D u (2) d u (3) d u ( the 1st down being emphasised)

Both of these time signatures have a quarter note as the beat.

So I was wondering whether you generally have:
- 6 potential strums for 6/8 (which could be (1) D (2) u (3) d (4) U (5) d (6) u (stresses on beats 1 and 4 - one of which is a down, one of which is an up); or
- 12 potential strums for 6/8 (which could be (1) D u (2) d u (3) d u (4) D u (5) d u (6) d u.

Dennis' song seemed to turn from arpeggiated eighth notes to D du d D du d. And Willem's seemed to fit a similar model. Obviously this approach works best for energetic sections of songs.

Nessa has shown me some other approaches for different songs depending on the feel. Thanks Ness, you're a gem.

So I've got a heap of approaches to try.

I'm really just trying to explain what I was talking about better, well I don't think I did a very good job the first time, maybe I still haven't.

OK - As I said, I think the best approach is song specific so I'm not really looking for more advice here. I just didn't want to have people read this and simply scratch their head thinking, "what tha'"

Shel
I realy find it a good question Shel,,and lets go more into it, don't fade away,,first I thought that my strum was more for energetic or more tempo songs but I play it again slow and it could fit the bill but not just yet...its simply not the feel of the ballad,,,when I listen to Vanessa and Corina I simply could'nt count or find the beats (its me of course),,And I wanna know what she was doing,,,,when you look further on the net most people were just pickin,,not strumming,,but I realy 'm in for Nessa's strum/feel,,so I wanna know,wanna know..

Willem

michelew

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:48 am

Willem,

For strumming 'Cant't Help Falling in Love' try playing it as 3/4 with a swing time feel and watch the video, watch the video, watch the video. I think part of Nessa's secret is in the laid back feeling. Keep watching and feel it rather than trying to count rigidly.

Good luck.

M.

willem

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:00 am

michelew wrote:
Willem,

For strumming 'Cant't Help Falling in Love' try playing it as 3/4 with a swing time feel and watch the video, watch the video, watch the video. I think part of Nessa's secret is in the laid back feeling. Keep watching and feel it rather than trying to count rigidly.

Good luck.

M.
AH ,thx for lightin up a bit,,never thought a bout 3/4 swingtime,, I did thought and tryed a triple feel but that was'nt right eather..

willem

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 am

:) :) :)

willem

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 am

nesh16041972 wrote:

Awesome Vanessa and I could find the beats now,,Thx,, Mmmm a few minutes left he,,,what if you had a hour?,,I can guess it,,,you would go to your favo tunes or the supermarked. :laugh: B)

NKenny

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Haha! :laugh: :laugh: Oh absolutely!! :P ;)

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

Awesome Vanessa and I could find the beats now,,Thx,, Mmmm a few minutes left he,,,what if you had a hour?,,I can guess it,,,you would go to your favo tunes or the supermarked. :laugh: B)

michelew

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:34 pm

Gosh Ness! That's another great video answer. You're amazingly generous with your time.

THANK YOU!

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic