Diving into first serious lesson - Vincent

Feel free to get outside the box here.
jshear

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 pm

I've been wanting to learn Vincent forever. As I mentioned in my intro a few weeks back, I've been dabbling (struggling) with the guitar off and on for 10 years and have been trying to learn Vincent from tabs on the internet. But they just don't seem to sound anything like how Mclean does it and some parts I just don't get. This is a slower pace song so I decided it's time to purchase a single lesson and see how it goes. Right off the bat, I love the tabs, chords, lyrics, etc. Neil provides - so professional! His videos are so awesome. I will enjoy watching them as I practice and I'm sure I'll learn faster having someone explain and demonstrate how to play it. The best part is being able to pause and replay as much as I need.
It's a slower song and doesn't seem too complex so I wonder why it's a level 5. I guess I'll find out soon enough. :)

John

sbutler

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:26 am

John, Neil is the best. But the best lesson Neil teaches is that he doesn't so much teach one how to play songs, but he teaches you to be a guitar player. When you reach that bench mark, you can play a bunch of songs.

Every song he's done a lesson on, has a technique within it that you should pay attention to. The good news for us, is that we have so much to choose from, we don't have to learn the songs we don't like. :)

Scott

michelew

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 am

Ah tackling Vincent???! :cheer:

It's one of my favorite songs that I learned to play here at TG! :)

Vincent isn't a fast song indeed and it has open chords, except for the Cm, that's true. Still the tempo and feel of the song isn't straight forward. If you listen to Don McLean, it's actually not easy to play along with him, since he kinda speeds up and back, and up and back and so on. Also sustaining notes as long as possible is very important in order to make it sound really fluently.

Blah blah! :S

Sorry, maybe you know all this already, I'm just rambling! ;)

Have fun!

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:21 am

Great choice to start off with John... fabulous song and as you will know by now Neil is the very best teacher you could wish for so you are on a roll. I'll never tire of saying it, the fee for TARGET is probably the biggest bargain you will ever find anywhere for anything if you look at what it gives you. Buck per pleasure unit, its the all time best ever deal I have come across! Enjoy.
Chris

jshear

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:46 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Great choice to start off with John... fabulous song and as you will know by now Neil is the very best teacher you could wish for so you are on a roll. I'll never tire of saying it, the fee for TARGET is probably the biggest bargain you will ever find anywhere for anything if you look at what it gives you. Buck per pleasure unit, its the all time best ever deal I have come across! Enjoy.
Chris
Ya, I'm sure the Target program is a good deal. At this point though, I need to spend a long time getting good at one song. I've dabbled with lots of things, but never got good at any of them. The biggest challenge is just getting the fingers where they're supposed to go so I need LOTS of repetition with fewer things. I'm sure Neil's instruction will show me how to make the transitions smoother. The other challenge of course is I can't look at the music and both hands at the same time. So again I need lots of repetition to build up memory.
Thanks for the input folks.

John

NKenny

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 am

John Great song, I'm sure you will learn many things from this lesson. You cant go wrong with anything from TG. Neil is the best teacher. You can tell he loves teaching and sharing his immense knowledge and talent with everyone. Good luck with the lesson.

Kenny

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic