A suggestion for the "All lessons" page

Feel free to get outside the box here.
thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:43 pm

Gee... that's tidy.... Thanks TG Folk :)

Can anyone explain any less obvious new features on it as I don't want to be missing out on something.

Lynn
I'm not sure if you are already aware, so here's another picture for you.
I find the internet browsers Find Feature handy too.

Dermot

Click Image To Enlarge:

tovo

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:24 am

Just checked out the new and improved lessons index and it's great. Thanks to whoever fixed it. So much better.

michelew

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:35 am

tovo wrote:
Just checked out the new and improved lessons index and it's great. Thanks to whoever fixed it. So much better.
Great improvement. Yeh!!!! Thanks.

Catman

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:54 am

michelew wrote:
tovo wrote:
Great improvement. Yeh!!!! Thanks.
Concur!

dtaylor

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Nice work TG, that's just what was needed, thank you.
I'll start to use that page now.

suziko

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:29 pm

I hate to be the nay-sayer in this group, but I'm not entirely sure this change is such a great improvement. Yes, it's tidier, but it doesn't make it easier to actually find songs that you want to play. And some stuff is categorized in such odd ways that unless you're in-the-know, you won't find it. For example, a few years back, Neil put up a lovely, fingerpicking solo version of Here Comes the Sun. A few months back I thought I'd get back to work on that and try to play it. So I went to try to find it. I've been at this site almost from the beginning and it took me A LONG time to find it. Was it under "The Beatles?" No. Was it under "Guitar Instrumentals?" No. Finally I found it under "Neil Hogan." How are people who are new to this site supposed to find anything? If anything, the new format makes it HARDER to find stuff!! That song doesn't even appear if you sort based on fingerpicking lessons. And as far as I can tell, there's not even a "search" box on the page anymore, not that I ever had much luck with that.

What the All Lessons page needs is a complete overhaul, not just some superficial, cosmetic change.

dtaylor

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Suzi, there is a search on the page. Searching for Here Comes The Sun brought up all the appearances of the title in lessons and FOTW too. It also brings up anything that contains any of the words in the title.
Once the search is done you get three different search boxes. Don't understand why.
While it's not great, it's infinitely less frustrating to use.

I agree it could be so much better, anyone who uses TabToolkit will know what a decent interface looks like...
One click to browse by artist, browse by title, browse by artist and title, list favourites, recently added, recently opened.
Maybe one day.

suziko

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Ok, thanks, I finally found this search box. Thank you, Dean, for letting me know that one exists there so that I could try to find it. But the fact that I had to look for it for several minutes after being assured one actually exists again makes me think that maybe it's not really that obvious to new people.

The search box was just an aside in my post. My main point still stands. That page needs an overhaul. As Dean says, this is exactly what we need:

One click to browse by artist, browse by title, browse by artist and title, list favourites, recently added, recently opened

thereshopeyet

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Suzie, I agree..... give it a few overall options !!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Image

familyman4

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:41 pm

I agree with fellow TGer's that it does look better. I also agree that it can still be a lot easier. A simple A-Z drop filter with the song titles listed would be very much appreciated....

As the lessons song list continues to grow (Great thing) it will be even more important that there is a simple way to vanigate the lessons page.

Thanks....
Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic